Legacy Focus 20/20 and Butler 2250 amp

1235»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...even if you can only do one piece at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

• tratliff wrote: »
    vmoreno74, although the AS2100 is a great integrated I am thinking the speakers could use additional current as Tony pointed out. You will be pleasantly surprised how those speakers will come alive when big power is supplied.

I tried a couple of different setups with my speakers and finally settled in when I brought in the 600 watt mono blocks. Don't let the efficiency of the speaker steer you away from current. These speakers can gobble up power when provided.

PM me if you want to discuss details.

Just wondering how much the sound would open with your recommendation as I already feel the sound is great!!! Did not want to, but seems that I have to go back to the rabbit hole! LOL
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    vmoreno74 wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »
    vmoreno74, although the AS2100 is a great integrated I am thinking the speakers could use additional current as Tony pointed out. You will be pleasantly surprised how those speakers will come alive when big power is supplied.

I tried a couple of different setups with my speakers and finally settled in when I brought in the 600 watt mono blocks. Don't let the efficiency of the speaker steer you away from current. These speakers can gobble up power when provided.

PM me if you want to discuss details.

Just wondering how much the sound would open with your recommendation as I already feel the sound is great!!! Did not want to, but seems that I have to go back to the rabbit hole! LOL

You can never have too much power, but like I said, something north of 40 ampere's peak to peak should work well. The more the merrier.

Rabbit holes are common in audio, one upgrade begets another until your wallet runs dry or the wife threatens to leave you while the dog is stuck eating gravy train from Walmart.

Like I tell most folks, one piece of the puzzle at a time when the wallet allows. We have a few Legacy owners here and we can guide you to what works well with them, narrow things down some. Otherwise your chasing your tail, too much trial and error and wasted money. Nobody likes wasted money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That Yamaha is like a $3,500 integrated. 52 pounds. Basically doubles down from 8 to 4 ohms. You guys really think it's the weak link?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That Yamaha is like a $3,500 integrated. 52 pounds. Basically doubles down from 8 to 4 ohms. You guys really think it's the weak link?

Yes, it's still only 150 watts at 4 ohms. I was pushing 450, with around 70 ampere's peak to peak of current and it gobbled them up no problem. Takes a lot of current to manhandle 6 12 in. woofers between the pair. Well really 4, 2 are passive.

Will they play on a 150 watter ? Of course they will, but in my opinion not at their best.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    A better example of an integrated with current/balls to it, would be Musical Fidelity's. Certainly others would work also. You just need something with more balls to it is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    I can't find the specs on the current of the Yammies. Something is up with them though, they have to be packing some balls behind those watts because even the $7-8,000 AS3000 is 150 at 4 ohms.

• tonyb
    or....add an amp to the Yammie. McCormack amps would work well and sound great. Belles, and the Butler I thought was a great match.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall

Nice find, looks like it just came out of the box.

• tonyb
    I'd buy that sucker myself if I had a few more coins. The Yammie is a fine integrated, nobody is questioning that, and if he thinks it sounds good to him then why change a thing ?

I know, since they were my speakers, that more power would benefit them. That's all I'm sayin'.

In my opinion, the problem with an integrated is, your locked into the amp and pre sections. Sure you can add one or the other to it, but then your questioning why you have an integrated to begin with once you start down that road.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited December 2017

Is that amp really 150 amps current peak to peak? That seems excessive.
  • tonyb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It is, typo probably....should be around 70-ish. Still, for the 5 bones it's a steal for those on a budget.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289

You guys are aware that the amp pictured and for sale there is a Mono (one channel) amp, no? He has it mislabeled as Stereo. Look at the Owner's Manual - "EX4420M Single Channel Amplifier" and the pictures ("Mono Power Amplifier" printed on the front of the unit). The two sets of binding posts on the back are wired in parallel and give the same channel output.

I have a pair of the B&K Reference 4420M (Awesome!) amplifiers, configured the same way. My manual also says 150 Amps peak-to-peak! B)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It is, typo probably....should be around 70-ish. Still, for the 5 bones it's a steal for those on a budget.

Well yes it is a steal at that price. In my looking at different amps I've never seen any that high including large monobloc's
  • pitdogg2
    teekay0007 wrote: »

You guys are aware that the amp pictured and for sale there is a Mono (one channel) amp, no? He has it mislabeled as Stereo. Look at the Owner's Manual - "EX4420M Single Channel Amplifier" and the pictures ("Mono Power Amplifier" printed on the front of the unit). The two sets of binding posts on the back are wired in parallel and give the same channel output.

I have a pair of the B&K Reference 4420M (Awesome!) amplifiers, configured the same way. My manual also says 150 Amps peak-to-peak! B)

Well ok then i stand corrected that is serious current. You could jump start a car with that.
  • tonyb
    Missed the M after the designation too. Dang, getting old sucks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Missed the M after the designation too. Dang, getting old sucks.
    You just missed a few more M's. That should read: "Mang, getting mold sucks." :p
  • pitdogg2
    Well then that would make a heck of a center channel amp :D
  • tonyb
    There's a McCormack dna-1 in Chicago for 750, good match for the Focus speakers. It's on Audiogon.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    I'll second what Tony is saying - the Legacies will play on lower power, but they really come to life with A LOT of power. I'm very happy with mine running the McCormack DNA 225.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Took some time to digest all the comments as it is indeed a lot of info.

I am guessing you guys have your system in your basement, right?

I also out of curiosity played a concert last night to check on the power of the amp and my wife came down to ask me to lower the volume as she was feeling the vibration while she was reading to our son (even though I installed SVS soundpaths to the speakers) So I was wondering what 400 watts of power could do to the house? :o

I think in order to have the tube sound and considering that my amp is an integrated I will test "tube DACs" within my budget and decide for the one that sounds the best.

On a separate note, I am happy that I found this community, you guys are awesome! Thank you so much for your suggestions and recommendations.

Special thanks to Tonyb, man thank you for letting me take care of your babies, they are indeed sweet and revealing, all the hype about these speakers is true!

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    If you want tube sound to play with.... look at tube buffers. Easier to play with as you can add or remove them from the path of your current gear easier.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited December 2017
    edit
    Post edited by kevhed72 on