Advice needed on vintage Polks.

Options
Hi All,

I am looking for your options on a dilemma that I am currently wrestling with.

I have two black LS-90's, one CS-350, two f/x-1000 surrounds, a B&K Ref 200.7 amp (seven channel, 200 watt per channel balanced XLR or or RCA inputs) and a Velodyne CT-150 sub.

All items ire in great shape with very little use on them. Maybe a small scratch or two, but I would have to pull everything out of the setup to inspect. I don't reminder any though. I do remember that the labels on the LS-90's had started to peel, but I pressed them back on. Anyway...I live in an apartment, and unfortunately, I have never been able to realize the true potential of this system. I love the way it sounds, but I can't play it at an appropriate level without risking getting thrown out.

I am looking for opinions on if you think this equipment is worth the "hassle" of selling? I can't lift any of it myself (due to medical problems) so it would have to be local pickup, or I would have to pay someone to bring it to a UPS store to package, and ship it - expensive, and probably not worth it in the end.

Hope you all can chime in with some ideas, suggested selling prices, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I live a half mile from my nearest neighbor and I would go nuts in an apartment. I take it moving isn't an option? I would suggest trying to hold off selling your gear at a sacrifice. So often I read things like "Man, I wish I had ______ back again."
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Do you live in a metro area? If so, you should have no trouble selling on Craigslist or EBay (local pickup). The complete set should fetch 500-600 conservatively. I have seen 2 pair of ls90 alone go for 300 in my local area (Salt Lake) in the past 3 months.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Fuzz wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have two black LS-90's, one CS-350, two f/x-1000 surrounds, a B&K Ref 200.7 amp (seven channel, 200 watt per channel balanced XLR or or RCA inputs) and a Velodyne CT-150 sub.

All items ire in great shape with very little use on them. Maybe a small scratch or two, but I would have to pull everything out of the setup to inspect. I don't reminder any though. I do remember that the labels on the LS-90's had started to peel, but I pressed them back on. Anyway...I live in an apartment, and unfortunately, I have never been able to realize the true potential of this system. I love the way it sounds, but I can't play it at an appropriate level without risking getting thrown out.

I am looking for opinions on if you think this equipment is worth the "hassle" of selling? I can't lift any of it myself (due to medical problems) so it would have to be local pickup, or I would have to pay someone to bring it to a UPS store to package, and ship it - expensive, and probably not worth it in the end.

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

tell us where you live in the Country. Somebody within 150 miles might be very interested.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

tell us where you live in the Country. Somebody within 150 miles might be very interested.

I would advise against posting his location. Could be construed as trying to sell with too few posts. Just sayin...
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Do you live in a metro area? If so, you should have no trouble selling on Craigslist or EBay (local pickup). The complete set should fetch 500-600 conservatively. I have seen 2 pair of ls90 alone go for 300 in my local area (Salt Lake) in the past 3 months.

5-600 for the speakers. The amp is worth quite a bit itself.

Correct - figured the amp he could straight-up sell on eBay, as it's not shipping prohibitive.

I should have been more clear in my response.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    I love the way it sounds
    Keep it. Enjoy it.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,027
    Options
    "appropriate level" - LOL
    As long as you don't knock things off their walls or mantle it's all good before 10 PM, right? ;-)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 3
    Options
    Everyone has valid points, and opinions. I appreciate you all sharing. I am so on the fence.

I was registered on this forum for many years, but lost my password. I tried to reset it, but the email address I registered with is no longer active.

I know this is probably not a good idea, but I'll run it by everyone anyway: I have a storage bin, where I live, but it's not cooled in the summer not heated in the winter. Do you think the speakers / amp would fare well if I put them in storage? I'm thinking the winter would be okay, but the summer humidity would be bad.
  • Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 3
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    "appropriate level" - LOL
    As long as you don't knock things off their walls or mantle it's all good before 10 PM, right? ;-)

Funny :)

I have some fairly cranky neighbors. Particularly the guy below me.