What color is this?

2»

Comments

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Thorton wrote: »
    Polk lists these as Midnight Mahogany. As F1 mentioned these probably are a tri-coat system or a tinted clear. They will look different under a different light sources and also different under the viewing angle you look at them. In many cases, the result is very good. As we all know, it's very difficult taking pictures of finishes that actually show how they look in person.

Im just saying you can duplicate any finish with some test pieces.
    I have to do it for a living.

Yup. I agree. And you can do it in many different ways. A current project my team is working on is doing a similar thing you do for the automotive industry.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    BlueFox wrote: »
    And all I am saying is Polk needs to mention the color will vary depending on the lighting.

Anything/Everything will.

Thanks for nothing. LOL

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Thorton wrote: »
    Polk lists these as Midnight Mahogany. As F1 mentioned these probably are a tri-coat system or a tinted clear. They will look different under a different light sources and also different under the viewing angle you look at them. In many cases, the result is very good. As we all know, it's very difficult taking pictures of finishes that actually show how they look in person.

Im just saying you can duplicate any finish with some test pieces.
    I have to do it for a living.

I'm just a novice woodworker. I do some basic things for small profit but not for a living. I made a blanket chest for a family that wanted it to match their flooring. That was not easy but it's how I found dye works as an undercoat.

one thing I would like to see is a mixing chart to get a closer match to the color of factory finishes.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2017
    You can buy a color wheel, but it's the basics such as what mix of colors will get you another color. There is no chart for factory colors as there is an infinite number of possibilities. Matching colors takes an understanding of color, tones and hues, what the light source will be, an eye for such things and a lot of practice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    And all I am saying is Polk needs to mention the color will vary depending on the lighting.

With the lights off everything looks the same
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Willow wrote: »

With the lights off everything looks the same

Sort of like a darker version of Midnight Mahogany, I'd posit.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    If I bought these speakers based on Polk's photos, which are black, and this mish mash color arrived then I too would be a bit confused or perturbed. They should at least mention the color will vary depending on the light. Is that unreasonable?

I hear you @BlueFox , but the color is described as Midnight Mahogany, not black.

So? That means nothing. WTF is Midnight Mahogany? LOL

Right, but I would expect a color named black to be black, and something named midnight mahogany to be possibly a color that Ron Burgundy would choose while enjoying a nice glass of scotchy, scotch scotch, and grooming his mustache.

A mention of color variation based on lighting would be a nice touch. But I think the website needs lots of nice little touches so I am not surprised.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2017
    I keep thinking that Midnight Mahogany sounds like the title of one of those Rolling Stones' throwaway tracks, recorded when the band was living as tax exiles in France, smacked into a trance -- and released as filler on a 4LP album or something...

;)

4a0vjbr3gcm6.png