What color is this?

Options
So I am finally getting around to opening all my lsim speakers I got from adorama. I ordered midnight mahogany. All my speakers are black minus the center channel. Doesn’t look cherry and not black. Do I fight this and have them send me a new one?
https://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim706c

ydzhacd7n12y.jpeg
Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    That is Midnight Mahogany. No one ever said they were black.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Was the wrong color listed on the box? Anyway, I would ask for an exchange just to match the other speakers. You can exchange the center, or the others. Whichever color you like best.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    Options
    Box says black
    F1nut wrote: »

But all my other speaker are black.

Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options

This seems exceedingly plausible, although I am being strictly speculative, here.

The OP:
    ordered Midnight Mahogany

The speakers:
    are not cherry.
    are not black.

Too bad black paint is so darned hard to find...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/29186/where-to-buy-black-paint
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Looking on Polk's site, it appears Midnight Mahogany is another term for Black. LOL.

1kofheg3mymq.png

3y36la1h8h8v.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    jeremie wrote: »
    Box says black

But all my other speaker are black.

Polk makes two colors in that series, cherry and midnight mahogany.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    Options
    Ok, so apparently under a bright light all of my speakers are that color minus the 702s. My center channels is the only one exposed to direct led lights. I put a light on the 707 and they are the same color. My bad. Move on :)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Looks like cherry and black got busy, and you get midnight mahogany.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    On Polk's site, Midnight Mahogany is black. No ambiguity. Looks like somebody in Marketing needs to do a better job. Then again, they probably are the ones who wanted Vanilla. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Looks like cherry might be getting scarce as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Looks like cherry might be getting scarce as well.

Reminds me of the old joke about needing to sacrifice a v i r g i n, but they can't find any. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options

That is pretty much it. You apply a black toner (thinned dye mixed with the clear coat) over the base color, which is likely the cherry color. You end up with a color that appears almost black under low or indirect lighting, but exposes the base color under bright light.

This technique is currently popular in the furniture industry right now often termed, "Expresso."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    darn hard to stain match too. Been playing with dye a bit, never thought of mixing it with the clear coat, thanks F1nut.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options

That is pretty much it. You apply a black toner (thinned dye mixed with the clear coat) over the base color, which is likely the cherry color. You end up with a color that appears almost black under low or indirect lighting, but exposes the base color under bright light.

This technique is currently popular in the furniture industry right now often termed, "Expresso."

Yup. It's also a popular technique in the car industry now. And if not done correctly can lead to a blotchy or cloudy appearance. I can't tell if it's the lighting in the picture, the camera or the finish but it looks terrible.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Thorton wrote: »

Yup. It's also a popular technique in the car industry now. And if not done correctly can lead to a blotchy or cloudy appearance. I can't tell if it's the lighting in the picture, the camera or the finish but it looks terrible.

If you cant tell, there are too many variables.
    Wait till you know.

I'm talking about the picture not how it actually looks in person.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I really liked the color of the midnight mahoganies when I had them. It does look black when there's not much light but when there is light they have a nice rich brown tone.

The cherry is a significant difference.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • BlueFox
    Options
    If I bought these speakers based on Polk's photos, which are black, and this mish mash color arrived then I too would be a bit confused or perturbed. They should at least mention the color will vary depending on the light. Is that unreasonable?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If I bought these speakers based on Polk's photos, which are black, and this mish mash color arrived then I too would be a bit confused or perturbed. They should at least mention the color will vary depending on the light. Is that unreasonable?

I hear you @BlueFox , but the color is described as Midnight Mahogany, not black.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • BlueFox
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

I hear you @BlueFox , but the color is described as Midnight Mahogany, not black.

So? That means nothing. WTF is Midnight Mahogany? LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    Options

A prostitute at the stroke of twelve.
  • Thorton
    Options
    Polk lists these as Midnight Mahogany. As F1 mentioned these probably are a tri-coat system or a tinted clear. They will look different under a different light sources and also different under the viewing angle you look at them. In many cases, the result is very good. As we all know, it's very difficult taking pictures of finishes that actually show how they look in person.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

The color on my last truck was called pyrite, and didn't look anything like it...it's just a name of a color
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    Options
    And all I am saying is Polk needs to mention the color will vary depending on the lighting.

Three 20 amp circuits.