Repairing a pair RTi100 speakers

Options
Not sure if these would be considered vintage, they were certainly not top shelf when new, but they sounded fine to me and served well for a few years. They have been unused for 10 years now after wife and I were out of town for a weekend, teenagers prevailed for that weekend and they must have had the volume as far clockwise as they could get it.

I hauled them out of mothball status the other day- pulled the sub plate units out of them and have them headed to the guy on Ebay who fixes them, Electronetix, one sub hummed and the other didn't do much so I figured send both. Have not pulled the woofers, will probably try the repaired amps first. Ebay guy said the amps are a common weak link and the woofers could be fine.

The crossovers are an RE1057-1, mid range is a MW7200, tweeter is a RD6515-2. The specs say the crossover frequencies are 2100hz and 85hz, which I take to mean 2100hz for the two way crossover and 85hz for the sub plate. I pulled the crossovers and can visually see a capacitor on each is dead. I think the mids and tweets are fine, but certainly need some work on the crossovers. Can an aftermarket crossover be bought? If so the first thing I notice is they come in 2000hz and then 2500hz, which makes me think don't go out and buy an aftermarket unit, and of course how would I know the rest of it would work fine with the mid and tweet I have. I don't know much about speakers, but what I have read leads me to believe these things are paired together during design and swapping leggo bits doesn't necessarily work.

Then last pondering- what if I have a woofer or mid or tweet dead? The woofer and mid look common enough mounting, but the tweeters are a twist lock mount setup, maybe all tweeters are, this is new to me.... so if I have a dead tweeter does a guy search hi and low for a used one or go buy a mid/tweeter/crossover kit and get the dremel out and make the old tweeter mounting hole fit the new tweeter?

I know the value of these speakers is not high and technology has come a long way, but I would like to fix them and keep using them vs landfill and buy new, any help is much appreciated. Thanks much

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You cannot replace drivers, tweeters or crossovers willy-nilly. You have to know all the parameters, which you don't. Your best bet if you need replace drivers/tweeters is to shop on eBay for used OEM. The crossovers can be repaired/rebuilt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ckdahl
    ckdahl Posts: 6
    Options
    10-4, that was my uninformed impression, everything needs to be matched. The Ebay guy, Electronetix, said he will fix the crossovers so I should get back working sub plates and working crossovers then go from there.