sda srs 2.3 modifications

13»

Comments

• gimpodgimpod Posts: 1,690
    edited October 29
    One at a time is good advice !

I'll find a ohmmeter and check the resister.

Check them all!!!
    I bridged the polyswitch, but left the two other small brown resisters (750pf ?) resister in place - I've read on other threads this can/should be bridged as well - one recommended bridge with a .1uf cap. Unfortunately some other 2.3 xo threads have dead links to the pic's that I think may have been helpful.

I did see this pic using the original boards (these are not mine) which seems to show the wiring for the 6.2 resister sitting on top of the 12uf cap. Just not sure where the 12 uf cap leads would then plug into the board .. thinking likely the resister 2 location .. ??

If you have no tweeters at all you have bigger problems than the R2 & C6 issue (that would only affect T2 the middle tweeter, the top & bottom tweeters should be working if wired right, you need to get the schematics and go over everything again, I would start at the polyswitch and go from there. check for bad/cold solder joints, bad components. Yes pull those 750pf silver mica caps and toss them don't put a jumper in place of them, R2 and C6 are wired in parallel and soldered in the R2 position.

Your going to need to check out the rest of my site. Look at the Hardware (you'll need the nylon mounting hardware at least), Parts Lists (Again you'll need the nylon MATE & LOCK pin headers at least), the Hints & Tips section also download the schematic for the new board.

And if this seems a bit much for you, you can always contact @westmassguy about fixing them for you.

Thanks and good luck.
    "If you design software that any moron can use only morons will use it." JMO
    ---
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately for most of us we only get to experience the first day and then we can't even remember it.
    ---
    "Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and Thermonuclear Weapons."
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger
  • Thanks Gimpod - really appreciate the advice.

I did end up getting them working temporarily - yes, my soldering had to be redone in a few places, but they definitely sounded improved. However, I was not at all happy or proud of the jerry rigging required, and they most certainly would have been a source of problems down the road - so I didn't even bother to put the passives back on to really give them a listen - so, the overall improvement is unknown at this point.

Parts are now de-soldered and patiently awaiting your bigger and better boards to arrive. Resisters actually checked out ok, but they are inexpensive and as I needed some more items from sonic craft anyways, I just re-ordered to start fresh with new resister and full leads.

Lots to learn - enjoying the journey.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    edited October 30
    Please for the love of God, it's RESISTOR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• F1nut wrote: »
    Please for the love of God, it's RESISTOR.

Ha - noted !
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,828
    Resisters get beat about the head and neck by the po po B)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 484
    If Charlize Theron tried to get me in bed, I would not resisther.
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • Sweet sound of success ! Received the custom Gimpod boards from David at DHS. These were a joy to work with, lots of space for everything. Most importantly, the upgraded XO's sound amazing. I've read in places that they require a break-in period, not sure if this is true, but in any event I honestly can't imagine them getting any better.

Thanks all for the advice and patience with this. I'm really enjoying the 2.3's again !
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,769
    glad they worked out. 200+ hours burn-in minimum.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver PM-600

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • machonemachone Posts: 815
    ^^^^^
    They will get better.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-110 Preamp + (Musical Concepts LXII Elite Mod) >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony DVP-NS575P DVD Player

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • I was amazed at the improvement
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    PolkM7 peerless
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Polk m5jr
    Kimber
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list Polk SRS 2 or 2.3 TL, SVS sub, Parasound amp

13»