Active speakers of good quality
with an XLR cable from a DAC or Pre

I'm pretty sure the actives would have the SDAs beat in sound
quality on many levels.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    only one way to find out -- and it involves ears.
    yours.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Active crossovers done well offer many advantages over passive, however I don't think you could run SDA's as designed (interaural crosstalk cancellation) using an active crossover. IMO, if you like what SDA's do, what sounds better would be subjective compared to active xover speakers.

I owned active crossover ESL speakers for several years. I think Fred has done active xovers on conventional speakers.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ain't that the truth.

Seriously, they are warrantied for 6 years.
    Put a nice power regenerator in front of them...
    Tri-amped.
    Testimonials about using them in the studio for 20 years and going...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for not laughing :) .
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My first ESL's had a so-so active bass amp (200 WPC) with only bass control. I invested in a custom Marchand that had bass, mid bass and high controls. My newer ESL's (Innersound Eros MK III's) had a much better bass amp (600WPC @4 Ohms) with built in active with remote control volume, bass and mid bass control.

Active three ways could get spendy with some amps.

You can make any speaker active by disconnecting the passive and adding a properly sloped active. Marchand will build to suit. He offered kits as well (but I haven't looked at his site in years). Both tube and SS active.

http://www.marchandelec.com/xovers.html
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Rich I think he means an active speaker, not a crossover.

Red, we should chat sometime man.

Duh...thanks. At least he has another option....lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Funny that @mhardy6647 responded as I was thinking of him is morn.
    There are some Altec 604s on the bay for sale. Also, when reading up
    on the active speakers it was mentioned that maybe some of the
    monitors back then sounded too good and covered up flaws in the mix.

I remember reading that the Beatles Paul? heard a mix in a car and they
    went back and remixed.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    By the rock and roll era (well, at least the 1960s) there were purpose-built monitors for mixing the AM radio hits.

The best known ones (at least to me) were the Auratone cubes ("Horrortones").

vytqrt8e9amp.png

Later, the monitor of last resort ;) in the studios was the Yamaha NS-10/NS-10m. Of these, it was said that, if the mix sounds OK on them, it'll sound good on anything.

Most of the modern monitors, I think, are pretty ruthless in revealing flaws in the mix -- but I am no expert (duh!).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I almost picked up the auratones just to experience them.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    If we're talking about active speakers, check computer audiophile for some articles on a few active speakers they have checked out. I feel more and more speakers in the low to mid fi market is going this route. Studio, and pro PA has used them for years and it's hitting a nice place in the home market where people can have decent sound that is also convenient, not bulky, wifi, streaming services, airplay or cast. klipsch has an entire ht rig that's powered and basically wireless outside of the initial connection. They also have the fifteens coming out shortly. I have been saying this for a while, we are going to see more and more fully capable speakers come out that have built in wifi, dac, and powered.

This is also not saying there isn't high end active either. Lansche 8.2, dynaudio as well as many others.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I almost picked up the auratones just to experience them.

I have a later pair of the Auratone drivers -- someplace downstairs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If I ever get out of my mom's basement and make it up
    that way...
    always a pleasure @mhardy6647.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks @erniejade God bless you and yours.