SDA SRS 1.2TL Proper Sound Dampening Placement & Larry's Rings

Options
Hi All,

After an eternal 2 years of waiting, we are finally out of the apartment, and into a house. My 1.2TL's which I have been lusting after since I was 19yo. in 1990, and finally acquired in October 2015, are out of storage and in a home where they can be listened to and enjoyed.

I have been upgrading them as access and time permitted, and have just a few things yet to do. Now that they are here in our house, I was finally able to remove the crossovers to proceed with upgrading to the Gimpod PCBs, loaded with Sonicaps capacitors, SuperQ coils, and Mills MRA Resistors.

After removing the factory crossovers, I noticed that the OEM sound dampening was in a slightly different position in each speaker. Look at the pictures, and let me know which placement is correct. I realize it likely won't make much if any difference, but I want it to be correct.

Also, I have been away from the forum for a while. Is anyone making, or does anyone know where a set of "Larry's Rings" for my 1.2TL's can be purchased?

Thanks, Evan

m04ytlo3kgvx.jpg
u47a8rcklhxh.jpg
bmf91ktgovoz.jpg
Polk SRS SDA 1.2TL (upgraded)
Marantz AV7703
Parasound JC 1

Best Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes push or remove mw and pull it back up. Should be behind mw's only. If it won't stay a staple or spray glue might work. On my sda1 i used spray tech77 glue sprayed the speaker back then laid the roll on it held nicely. Don't need much but it need to dry before you stand them up
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm offended.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,692
    Options
    Spoken in Wisconsin accent: "Soooo, ya like da Badgers dare, once?" :p

It looks like the dampening material on the left has shifted downwards. I have read that there should not be any behind the bass radiator, so that may be what happened.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Gawd the big boys are purty!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Go Badgers!

B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Viking64
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm offended.

If I wrote something politically incorrect, I apologize profusely. :p
  • BadgerNave
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Go Badgers!
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Where are you located? Welcome back.
  • BadgerNave
    Options
    Dromunds, I’m just west of Madison.
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • Viking64
    Options
    BadgerNave wrote: »
    Dromunds, I’m just west of Madison.

Like Spring Green, maybe? Frank Lloyd Wright country!!!! :p
  • BadgerNave
    Options
    A little closer to Madison Viking64... just south of Cross Plains. Big Frank Loyd Wright fan! We had our wedding at the Minoan Terrace.
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • Viking64
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We took Route 14 to get to Taliesin from Madison, so we must have driven right near there. It was a beautiful October Saturday in 2004. The leaves were perfect. It reminded me of my home state of Vermont.

We lived in Florida, but we got married in De Pere and we had our wedding reception in a ballroom on the skybox level at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. My ex-wife is from Menasha (near Appleton and Neenah), so after being a Cowboys fan from 1973 to 2004, I became a Packers fan by default. HAHAHAHAHA

I just realized what you meant by "Minoan Terrace". :p I just ran across some pictures of us there with our pug, Spankie. Our wedding photographer (Bruce Fritz) was from the city of Minona. We stayed in The Mansion Hill Inn right there in Madison a few times.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Monona. Frank Lloyd Wright center is called the Monona Terrace, on Lake Monona one of the three (four) lakes in Madison. Beautiful building.
  • Viking64
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Monona. Frank Lloyd Wright center is called the Monona Terrace, on Lake Monona one of the three (four) lakes in Madison. Beautiful building.

Is that the big white edifice on the lakeshore just a few blocks southeast of the capitol building?
  • BadgerNave
    BadgerNave Posts: 13
    edited September 2017
    Options
    iPad spellcheck got the best of me.

Yes, I meant Monona Terrace, and also yes, 4 lakes in the Madison area. Mendota, Monona, Waubesa, and Wingra. Mendota and Monona are the biggest, and the state capital building is on an isthmus between them.

auuf66ysag64.jpeg
    7cvmloyio2th.jpeg
    Marantz AV7703
    Parasound JC 1
  • Viking64
    Options
    Yeah, that's it. My ex has the digital versions of these pics, but this is what I found just a few weeks ago after 13 years. :p

sdlykkhawdjh.jpg
  • dromunds
    Options
    The dome of the State Capitol is in the first photo, it appears to be right in the middle of the Frank Lloyd Wright center, but its actually a separate building about three blocks behind the Monona Center. You can see the capitol better maybe in the last photo, right behind that beautiful couple! Madison is a very beautiful city as well.