The Ones I've Been Waiting For

Options
2»

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Very cool, always wanted to hear a pair of these. The stupid like button only lets me hit it once. Dammit! How's the bass on these guys?

I have them in a very large room. Living/dining/kitchen combine for almost 40 feet by 18 with 12 ft vaulted ceilings. Best bass by far over any speaker I've had in here. Not even close. And I've only turned the active sub dial to about 1 o'clock on the dial.

I'm planning to cautiously experiment with more, but even that has been very satisfying.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2017
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

I have them in a very large room. Living/dining/kitchen combine for almost 40 feet by 18 with 12 ft vaulted ceilings.

We have a very similar room situation. We have 14' ceiling on main level. Bass performance can vary depending on both speakers being near corners or on an open wall far from corners. Mine has one near a corner and the other in the open. It looks like yours are near corners, like 3-4 feet away from rear and side walls?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Talk to Dskip!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @SCompRacer

Here is a better shot. The are just outside of a couple of 'coves' beside the fireplace.

s95l4pfnvakm.jpg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    That Fireplace (which is being used as a equipment rack) is just SCREAMING for a nice wooden mantle with the TV mounted above it
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Legender
    Options
    Interested in this upgrade also. Wondering how they compare to the 705s. Congrats on the acquisition.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • hochpt21
    Options
    That Fireplace (which is being used as a equipment rack) is just SCREAMING for a nice wooden mantle with the TV mounted above it

If you zoom in you can see I already have some custom industrial looking brackets above the fireplace. I have a nice thick piece of wood in the basement that I just have to sand and stain then there will be a mantle with the TV on top.

:)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    Interested in this upgrade also. Wondering how they compare to the 705s. Congrats on the acquisition.

I've had the 15's and the 705's so I'll try to compare those with a write up in a week or so.
  • EndersShadow
    Options

If you zoom in you can see I already have some custom industrial looking brackets above the fireplace. I have a nice thick piece of wood in the basement that I just have to sand and stain then there will be a mantle with the TV on top.

I did see that, but wasnt sure if it was for a mantle or the TV.

I take it the mantle is NOT going to go all the way across but just halfway?
  • hochpt21
    edited September 2017
    Options

I did see that, but wasnt sure if it was for a mantle or the TV.

I take it the mantle is NOT going to go all the way across but just halfway?

Correct.

The old one did, but we are planning for it to just cover the left side above the actual fire place. (currently behind the TV)

Then I am planning to set my gear up in that firewood cubby you see on the right like I had it a few years back.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Gotcha. Should look good.

Personally my OCD would kick in and require it to go across the entire wall, something like a old railroad tie if not thicker/wider, but then I'd cutout another cubby on the other side of the "rack" for a electric fireplace and then center the TV over them both...

I'm too OCD about symmetry but thats me, and my wife is weird about wanting a electric fireplace in our living room (not possible due to layout), or dining room (maybe possible but still discussing). I am quite sure it will look perfect when you get it done :smile:.

PS is that the Clay Matthews Jersey or a logo on your shirt :smile:
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Wow, good eye.

Go Pack Go!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Wow, good eye.

Go Pack Go!

Thats right! Down the VIkings! (my Nordic heritage aside)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Has it passed the Tin Pan Alley test? Anymore pictures fall? LOL
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • hochpt21
    edited September 2017
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Has it passed the Tin Pan Alley test? Anymore pictures fall? LOL

Lol, haven't played that yet. Don't want the house to cave in. :D
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    The color on the walls? Do you know the color name and mfg?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    The color on the walls? Do you know the color name and mfg?

Behr...Antique Leather: UL140-6
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^thank you
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Any updates on the Tritons? A local pair just showed up for sale and I have always been interested in these.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • hochpt21
    Options
    I'll get a review eventually. But if they are a decent price I would jump. They hardly ever come up for sale. I know I waited a while. You're almost sure to get your money back at a decent price.

What model are they?
  • hochpt21
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The folded motion tweeter gives a super airy and open sound. Some may say forward sounding, but not once yet have I said "oh, that note hurt a bit"(and I'm listening to Miles Davis right now aka horns) just open airy smooth and real.

And the rest of the speaker is just solid muscle with a buttery sound.

I'm happy. I think most people would be as well.
  • sgmsmg
    Options
    The pair I was looking at were the Triton 2’s. After posting I went back to look at the listing again and came across a pair of Triton 1’s for sale. Both are at a decent price about what normal market value seems to be. I could definitely get rid of my sub if I went with the 1’s. They are much closer by too. Hopefully the seller will respond. I would think either of these would be an upgrade from my LSi15’s.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • hochpt21
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    The pair I was looking at were the Triton 2’s. After posting I went back to look at the listing again and came across a pair of Triton 1’s for sale. Both are at a decent price about what normal market value seems to be. I could definitely get rid of my sub if I went with the 1’s. They are much closer by too. Hopefully the seller will respond. I would think either of these would be an upgrade from my LSi15’s.

For my tastes, the LSi 15's were shockingly better than the Monitor 70's I started with(of course), the 705's were marginally better than the 15's and the Triton 2's are a safe margin better than the 705's.

Any Triton 1's I found were more than double the price of the 2's so if those are even in the picture, I would say absolutely.
  • sgmsmg
    Options
    For my tastes, the LSi 15's were shockingly better than the Monitor 70's I started with(of course), the 705's were marginally better than the 15's and the Triton 2's are a safe margin better than the 705's.

Any Triton 1's I found were more than double the price of the 2's so if those are even in the picture, I would say absolutely.

Thank you for the comparison info. My LSi15's have upgraded woofer/crossovers so they are probably somewhat closer to the 705's but not quite.

The Triton 1's are just a little more than double the price of the 2's. The 1's are only 15 minutes away compared to 3 hours each way for the 2's. The price delta is definitely there but I would hope that I would be content with them for quite a while. Also I could offset the cost by selling my SVS SB13 and DSPeaker I am currently using with my LSi15's.

Thanks again from the info. Just waiting to see if the seller responds. Of course I will be working night shift for the next couple of days so they may be gone before I even get a chance to go look at them.
    2 Channel

Home Theater