Too soon, input & ideas welcomed

Options
Sitting at work freaking out. Last night turned on my 2 channel system (see signature) after using it day before with no issues. Volume was down/lacking and clarity of output was poor. music sounded bad & even with volume cranked I had lost performance.
You guys are old & know stuff (that's a compliment), any thoughts, ideas, hunches to check first.
Parasound A21 had usual lights, Cambridge 851N DAC connected to Network fine I switched between optical & usb same issue. MacPro appeared okay, wiring connections all good.

Tonight gonna swap out the 851N w/the 851D, disconnect power & plug everything back in, reboot MacPro, recheck wiring, weird thing is nothing was changed or touched between days. Could the amp be running on only A vs A/AB? Thank you for any ideas.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    both channels?
    Especially if only one -- check ya wires! :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just first thought, if you're using files from the MacPro did you check the volume controls on the Mac?
  • ukcolin99
    Options
    Thank you mh, I unplugged, rebooted, removed & refit everything, happy to report works like it should. No idea what caused the problem, I'm sure in a month or 2 I will have forgotten it ever happened...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    ... I will have forgotten it ever happened...

Who are you, and why am I talking to you?

;)

Glad the problem is in remission.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Glad I could fix it for ya ;)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

Pretty sure it was you. That Hardy guy just babbles... :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »

Pretty sure it was you. That Hardy guy just babbles... :p

I consider that part of my charm.
    ... and besides, I don't even speak "Mac".

;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Glad you got it worked out Colin. Todays electronics sometimes just need a reboot, unplug and plug back in, to reset things. Always best to do the easiest stuff first when trying to decipher problems. Now if only that worked on women, we'd have it in the bag. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Glad you got it worked out Colin. Todays electronics sometimes just need a reboot, unplug and plug back in, to reset things.

Won't it be great when our cars are like that? Driving down the freeway and the car bluescreens. In the fast lane. At eighty. Infotainment center says. "STOP IMMEDIATELY AND REBOOT." :)

Actually - it happened to me once, years ago, in Mrs. H's Escape Hybrid on Route 128 near Boston. At like 6 AM on a Saturday morning. I'd just dropped her off at the airport & I was headin' home -- and I'd forgotten my cell phone. Fortunately, it rebooted successfully and got me home. Turned out to be a firmware issue; Ford updated it for me that same day, actually (to their credit).

And our son-in-law & daughter just had the experience of what a battery failure in a "modern" car is like this past week in their little Fiesta (hmmm... also a Ford...). It was, apparently, acting in a completely psychotic manner, but responded favorably enough to one of those portable "jump start" charger gizmos to get 'em to a battery place.

OK, don't get me started on "modern technology"... ;)
    Always best to do the easiest stuff first when trying to decipher problems. Now if only that worked on women, we'd have it in the bag. :)

Concur 100% (FWIW) :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,687
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ... and besides, I don't even speak "Mac".

;)
    Hey Mister! You bring all of that apple talk to the honey crisp thread! :p