5.1 rear speakers for LS90 mains

Options
I find myself moving in a few weeks and have to revisit my home theatre set up. I have been running a mostly built in system for the last decade with LC265i's for the front, LC80i's rear, CS400i center and PSW350 sub powered by Sunfire Theatre Grand III pre and a Cinema Grand Signature for power. There will be no built-ins at the new house, so going back to my LS90's for main with the same amplification and the same sub. I can use either the CS400i or a CSI5 for center. The question becomes what to use for the rear set? I just bought a pair of RTA12's to replace RTI6's on another system as mains. Should I use the RTI6 for rears, go with something new, or pick up some LS50's I've seen used? Space doesn't really matter. I am looking for sound quality. Thanks, Chris
LS90,RTA12, LC265i, LC80i, LC60i, CS400i, CSI5, PSW350, Monitor4a series2
Theatre Grand III, Cinema Grand Signature, B&O TX-2, A few more I can't remember

And I really want my Monitor 4's back that I blew the Peerless tweeters out of several times because I got tired of blowing fuses and put bigger ones in. It was the Eighties.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Do a search for LS 90 and you will find lots of threads discussing rears
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'd just use the RTi6's that you have
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I agree. I don't think that there is enough going on in the surrounds to warrant matching speakers. But if you must, LS/FX are the matching surrounds (there are no matching standard bookies). They come up on eBay pretty regularly, or at least they used to...

If you want bookshelfs, then the closest match would be the RTi25s I think...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ken brydson
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I agree. I don't think that there is enough going on in the surrounds to warrant matching speakers. But if you must, LS/FX are the matching surrounds (there are no matching standard bookies). They come up on eBay pretty regularly, or at least they used to...

If you want bookshelfs, then the closest match would be the RTi25s I think...

@ZLTFUL had some LS/FX's for sale awhile back. Not sure if he ever sold them.
  • mncad
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've seen some LS50s locally at $80 for the pair. I am really tempted. Not sure of the cabinet condition, but I just refinished my oak LS90s so I'm sure I can handle it. Now to deal with my cat mangled grills. Also found a couple of tiny surround punctures and am going to try the bicycle patch vulcanizing solution. This is a great forum.
    LS90,RTA12, LC265i, LC80i, LC60i, CS400i, CSI5, PSW350, Monitor4a series2
    Theatre Grand III, Cinema Grand Signature, B&O TX-2, A few more I can't remember

And I really want my Monitor 4's back that I blew the Peerless tweeters out of several times because I got tired of blowing fuses and put bigger ones in. It was the Eighties.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    For 80 bucks, grab the ls50s.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    @ken brydson I sold them over a year ago. ;) But thanks for lookin' out for a homey.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited September 2017
    Options
    mncad wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've seen some LS50s locally at $80 for the pair. I am really tempted. Not sure of the cabinet condition, but I just refinished my oak LS90s so I'm sure I can handle it. Now to deal with my cat mangled grills. Also found a couple of tiny surround punctures and am going to try the bicycle patch vulcanizing solution. This is a great forum.

I run LS50's in the rear with LS/fx' on the sides. Sounds outstanding...
    Post edited by ken brydson on
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    You could go with the LS50 or if you want a bookshelf speaker, the S4, S6 or S8 should blend well. I have a CS250s that blends real nice with my S8's and quite well with my RTA11TL's with RDO198 tweeters.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601