Low Cost 3.5-4m HDMI cables - brands to consider?

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited September 2017 in The Clubhouse
I am in the process of upgrading some stuff in my loft, painting it, and some other stuff to try to make it more complete. As part of that, I wall mounted the TV, and installed a in-wall power outlet for my TV also allows me to routing cables through the wall.

Here is where I need help.

Right now I am using Monoprice 10 foot HDMI cables. They are "barely" long enough to go through the wall, to the TV and the source gear. Thats not good enough. I was using them only because it was what I had on hand.

I'm looking for LOW COST suggestions for like 4m HDMI cables. I'm not trying to pay an arm and leg here so I'm open to searching ebay for lower cost ones, and I'm not looking at super pricey stuff either.

What brands should I be looking at, and what models within that brand? Audioquest Pearl seems to be a somewhat inexpensive one, but I'd like to try and find stuff below that cost if possible.

I need 2 cables total, each about 3.5-4m. That should give me enough length to run things like I want.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Do you need Premium Certified cables? My goto for low(er) cost quality cables is Blue Jean Cables.

https://bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Sewell direct Dan. I bought some from them long ago that are no longer made but the cables have handled everything I've thrown at them.

https://sewelldirect.com/hdmicable

When and if i step to 4k going to give the old cables a go just to see. I bought them well before bluray and they handle that just fine
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Sewell direct Dan. I bought some from them long ago that are no longer made but the cables have handled everything I've thrown at them.

https://sewelldirect.com/hdmicable

When and if i step to 4k going to give the old cables a go just to see. I bought them well before bluray and they handle that just fine

I like those prices Ivan! Thats kinda what I'm wanting. Not anything super fancy, just something that works.

The Loft isn't doing 4k or HDR anytime soon, or even 3D for that matter so I just need the basic good stuff that wont break and is a step above Monoprice....
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Audioquest Forest, I use em, not too pricey and the picture is quite good as well as sound.

Yeah, but once you get to 3.5m cables they do get a bit pricey....

DaveHo wrote: »
    Do you need Premium Certified cables? My goto for low(er) cost quality cables is Blue Jean Cables.

https://bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

Which one of their options are you referring to Dave? I went there and the prices were a bit more than I'd want to pay for a 15 foot cable give or take, but maybe I wasnt looking at the right one.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • I used this Bluerigger cable for my 25 foot run for my overhead PJ and haven't had any problems. It is CL3 rated for the attic run that was needed.https://amazon.com/BlueRigger-Rugged-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B003XM73P2/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505494213&sr=1-22&keywords=hdmi+cable
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'm using the FE series.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited September 2017
    I am in the process of upgrading some stuff in my loft, painting it, and some other stuff to try to make it more complete. As part of that, I wall mounted the TV, and installed a in-wall power outlet for my TV also allows me to routing cables through the wall.

Here is where I need help.

Right now I am using Monoprice 10 foot HDMI cables. They are "barely" long enough to go through the wall, to the TV and the source gear. Thats not good enough. I was using them only because it was what I had on hand.

I'm looking for LOW COST suggestions for like 4m HDMI cables. I'm not trying to pay an arm and leg here so I'm open to searching ebay for lower cost ones, and I'm not looking at super pricey stuff either.

What brands should I be looking at, and what models within that brand? Audioquest Pearl seems to be a somewhat inexpensive one, but I'd like to try and find stuff below that cost if possible.

I need 2 cables total, each about 3.5-4m. That should give me enough length to run things like I want.

Personally, I'd opt for an active cable if going over 10'. The non-active cables have to be so thick, they are a pain to use.

The monoprice redmere cables are about $15 for a 15' cable which should work for you.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9169

I've been using one in my basement theater for about 5 years now with no issues (a 25-footer)

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm thinking I'm actually just going to cut another hole (or two) and route my cables through those.

The larger issue was that I had to put the outlet above the TV, and then at the bottom of the wall near an existing outlet (for aesthetics) which made the cables too tight when using the built in cable routing portion of the outlet.

I am just going to bypass that for where they come out, and potentially go in as well so its closer to the HDMI ports and the components. It should cut down the length a bit to where I can make things work better.

I'm also debating a Component to HDMI adapter for one of my connections, and then a HDMI switch so I can run just 1 cable to the TV, and then smaller ones to the switches, etc.

This is what I ordered to run power to the TV, with an extra outlet for the LED backlighting kit I want to install later

512lao6XUnL._SL1000_.jpg

This is the wallmount kit I have, which was bought so I can swivel the TV for my kids if they are off axis.

41EK0Z6XOwL.jpg
    51K7PbtR7DL._SL1500_.jpg

And then this is the "fun" I got to have. Please note, the mount is made for a 16" on center wall, you know the STANDARD way you build a wall.

My wall is 24" on center so I had to span 3 studs with two pieces of wood (soon to be replaced by a single piece of plywood) and then mount the TV bracket to those.

h94dkqf8cp97.jpg

As you can see, there is a fair amount of space to the side I can use for just the HDMI/Optical/Component cables separate from the power.

7c8ckcqqxf1r.jpg

Keep in mind I'm not done with this room, and I'm also mounting things a bit higher as I am anticipating buying a larger TV (either a 50 or 55" compared to my existing 43") and dont want to have to adjust the mount up any at all.

Everything will be painted once I get it mounted and looking pretty.

2tilnyhjm39w.jpg

45g1b3wtefrz.jpg