Vacation Policy

Options
Work sucks, my employer just changed our vacation policy.

Earlier this year we merged with another company that has Flex vacation, I was on an accrued vacation policy. Now without notice they move all of us over to the flex policy. they made it smell like a rose. We can take 10 days off every other month with manager's approval.

Now is where it starts to stink.

My 270 hours I had are still there but I need to use them before I can move to flex. So I am paying myself to take a day off. People that were lucky enough to use all of their vacation are now able to take more time off.

10 days is the max anyone can take. Over that is unpaid, unless we still have accrued time on the books.

Managers now can just say "NO" to vacation request. In CA under accrued vacation policy if an employee was topped out and vacation was denied the company had to pay out. Now they just say NO and don't pay squat.

Looks like no more days off for me. I already haven't had a vacation in years due to no backup, now I am screwed.

About 100 of my coworkers and I have formed a group. we have been contacting HR trying to get us paid out our accrued/earned vacation time. Our second goal is get the max days off changed from 10 days to a yearly cap.

The employer clearly broke CA law as this is a ruse to get accrued vacation off the book.

Any thought on how to make these jerks pay us out?

Cheers

Loren

Oh and these are the same jerks that just had to pay $138 million settlement in the UK for fraud.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I haven't had a week off in two years. I was going to take Thanksgiving week off but now that I'm paying myself for day off that is not going to happen.

Our group leader just put out her nightly update. on Friday we are going to email the VP of HR. Over 100 emails in their inbox within 10 minutes might open some eyes.

If they do cash us out, oh my more AV gear. 270 hours is a lot of money
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I would think given the nature of the employer's history, and the type of law skirting they're up to now, a lawyer may jump on it pro boner (spelled correctly ;) ). That would get their attention.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited September 2017
    Options
    messing with HR = perhaps not the most prudent course of action.

of course, that's Just my opinion; if the OP's in CA -- CA is more employee-friendly than many of the united states.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Might decide its time for a permanent vacation.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Yes, resume is going out. Applied for a few different warehouse jobs that require security clearance. Company paid for that I might as well try to keep it.

Messing with HR is never a good thing but when 40% of the project account are on it no worries. Can't fire us all without suffering the account we all work on. We do have a couple of mid level managers in our group. One guy said he was out 150 hours around $20k, gee how much does he make already. Me with 270 hours am out a little less than $10k.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In my days as a group leader in biotech, I used to tell folks in my group (and my upper management, too) that leaving unused vacation on the table is tantamount to saying to one's employer "you're paying me too much money"!

• mrloren
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In my days as a group leader in biotech, I used to tell folks in my group (and my upper management, too) that leaving unused vacation on the table is tantamount to saying to one's employer "you're paying me too much money"!

In my case and a few others with a ton of vacation on the books is our backup's got laid off. So if some of us take a few days off then we come back to a ton of work. Last time I took 2 days off, it took a week to catch up.

Bottom line for me is get the vacation accrued/earned paid out and get a new job. I don't want to but it looks like I have to. A lot of great people on this account be sad to leave.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »

In my case and a few others with a ton of vacation on the books is our backup's got laid off. So if some of us take a few days off then we come back to a ton of work. Last time I took 2 days off, it took a week to catch up.

Yes I feel your pain. In my job as well no one covers my work load while I'm gone. To come back after a week to a weeks worth of warehouse duties that are stacked up and still coming in at a rapid pace is very very stressful. I also must fill orders that have not been filled in a week and those folks are very upset, they needed it yesterday. My boss asked me point blank and I told him point blank. To put into perspective each day they're 2-5 53' semi's that unload for our company. I must check in and count and find locations within the warehouse for the items. So to come back to the isles filled with all that stuff very hard to put things away and count when you cannot get down the isles. So yes I do not take a week off anymore. Maybe a Friday and a Monday at max. I have given back 12-15 vac days a year for the past 6 yrs.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    What good is having vacation that you can't use? Or more to the point, you take off a few days to de-stress, only to come back to more stress than if you hadn't left at all!?
    Work to live, don't live to work.
    I guess I am lucky, with our current company whatever isn't used gets paid out, in full, on your anniversary date. So there's no way to accrue any serious time off, but then again we can't lose it either, and there's no reason for management to change policy when they realize how much vacation debt they have. Good luck to you with your job search, too.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't see what you're whining about. Paying yourself to take the day off? Really? If they hadn't switched to the flex, you would take your days off and you'd get your normal paycheck. That hasn't changed. So you can't get a payout. Not really the same IMO.

A company can't afford to let everyone get cashed out just because they come up with a new vacation policy. 10 days every two months is pretty generous. That's more than 8.5 weeks a year. Many people are happy with 4-6 weeks a year of paid leave. Some people don't have any.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mrloren
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Wasn't Polk in Vista hiring not too long ago? :)

Think about the employee discounts.

Hmm move back to north county. my pay check would always be gone I would want to play with all the product.
    billbillw wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't see what you're whining about. Paying yourself to take the day off? Really? If they hadn't switched to the flex, you would take your days off and you'd get your normal paycheck. That hasn't changed. So you can't get a payout. Not really the same IMO.

A company can't afford to let everyone get cashed out just because they come up with a new vacation policy. 10 days every two months is pretty generous. That's more than 8.5 weeks a year. Many people are happy with 4-6 weeks a year of paid leave. Some people don't have any.

We no longer accrue/earn vacation, that was part of the compensation package. we now have to use it all up before we go on "Flex". people that are able to take all their days off are already planning on taking full advantage of this new system.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Yes I feel your pain. In my job as well no one covers my work load while I'm gone. To come back after a week to a weeks worth of warehouse duties that are stacked up and still coming in at a rapid pace is very very stressful. I also must fill orders that have not been filled in a week and those folks are very upset, they needed it yesterday. My boss asked me point blank and I told him point blank. To put into perspective each day they're 2-5 53' semi's that unload for our company. I must check in and count and find locations within the warehouse for the items. So to come back to the isles filled with all that stuff very hard to put things away and count when you cannot get down the isles. So yes I do not take a week off anymore. Maybe a Friday and a Monday at max. I have given back 12-15 vac days a year for the past 6 yrs.

WOW I'm not alone in work load.