My yearly update!

Options
Those of you who have been around know I've been around here for ages. Longer than my profile suggests, but I dunno what happened way back when. You all know my dad used to be super involved and was really crazy on the forums back then. I think his name was like PETERNG or something. Anyways, those of you who know, know that I usually post a really long update here and there after some big life changes. The last one was probably about my daughter, my job, or my home. It usually involves audio lol. I'm always a stickler that this place is more than just an audio forum and that's why I post these things here. So here I go:

Some big changes have happened lately. First, I've decided to take an opportunity at a different employer that came up. I wasn't looking, I wasn't wanting, but one came up and in the same spirit of how I got my last 2 jobs I followed suit. It worked out well and I both grew intellectually and personally. It saddens me to leave my current work (InterWorks, Inc.), but it excites me in many ways. First and foremost it will allow me to spend more time with my family. Right now I'm worked ragged and have to work a normal 40 hour week and then an additional 10-40 hours after depending on what is needed. With a new kid on the way I want to focus more back on my family. Second it allows me to reinvent myself. Any stigma or reputations beyond my technical ability can be reshaped. I get to be a new me. I showed them a different me and I'm sticking to it. Third I have the opportunity to affect my income and get back on our financial plan. The new company is Check Point Software. I have to deal with new insurance (next point is relevant to this), new people, and a new type of job. Sales vs Tech. Well, Tech sales.

Second, I have a kid on the way! We've been trying for three years and it finally happened. I've got a beautiful four year old daughter now that we barely had to try for, and this second child has been quite the journey. Around Oct 3 I'll have a new baby boy coming to join the family! My wife is excited, tired, cranky, you all get it lol. That's going to be a huge change. This means a few things. The family is going to grow, it's going to be exciting. This time instead of preparing for 5 years before we were married or pregnant (my wife is crazy), we had to buy stuff in a normal amount of time. It wasn't so bad. We don't have a room for him yet, but it's pretty much down to my office. We'll likely move my daughter into my office and put him into her room (office is way bigger). As the new job has no real office in Oklahoma, my office is still necessary. I'll have to move that into the upstairs living room which has no door but is a good size. That means taking down the upstairs theater - no big deal. We don't use it much except when my daughter wants to watch her shows on the big screen. We got her a TV for her room so that's pretty much never now.

Third, in the spirit of how I handled the last child incoming I am going through my closet. Back then we were poorer, and moved into a new house with no spare living room to store all my gear. I sold ALL of it except my Focals. It all started with the NAD component stack at the thrift store for $60 and evolved into about $20,000 when I sold it all. It all went to bills for the new baby, the house, etc. So tonight I went through phase 1 and listed all the bookshelf speakers I could find and don't need. B&W 686s, Foster Sub/sat, some M&K S3Bs etc. All thrift store or craigslist finds. Next I'll list the towers, LSi25s (2 pairs I got locally from other members!) and whatever else I can find. Lastly will be all the source/power components. We'll see what I let go of. I just can't bear to let go of the components I've saved through the years. We'll see on those. The Pioneer M90/91s would fetch a great price but I'd never see another pair. I also have to go through the garage and see what I can get rid of. Garage sale is this weekend!

Big changes. Family, Job, this hobby.

Thanks for your time!

Main Surround -
Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Options
    Congrats on the upcoming addition, Tuan! Always nice to see an update, and hope that you get top asking prices for all your gear.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    Thanks guys. I usually craigslist it first as I hate shipping with a passion. It's worked out fairly well over the past 12 years.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family and to all the positive changes.
    Did I read that correctly in that you bought your 4 year old a TV for her room? If so you might regret that, just saying
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!!
    "We've been trying for three years"
    It's all in the tryin'
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family and to all the positive changes.
    Did I read that correctly in that you bought your 4 year old a TV for her room? If so you might regret that, just saying

The TV has actually been in there for almost a year. It gets used maybe once a week since she'd rather be downstairs playing while we cook/clean/etc.
    Main Surround -

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @nguyendot,

Congratulations on all fronts.

It sounds like you have a steady hand on the rudder of your life. You seem to have taken a good look in the mirror and made some good, serious choices. And you also seem to be taking your family life very seriously and getting your priorities straight.

Bravo!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.