Got a good deal on CRS pair... now what?

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited September 2017
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    What was the donut supposed to do? It seems the added weight would keep the driver from moving.

Exactly. Polk felt the speaker had too much mid range, so slowing down those drivers lessened the mid range output.

IIRC, the early 2.3's had the donut drivers and the later ones did not. One has to assume Polk re-engineered the driver to accomplish the goal without the donut.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    That's interesting. I guess that was easier than redesigning the cabinet, x-over, etc. if the driver was just removed.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looking at the schematic that is it. 2x6510
    2x6511
    2x6513

Yup. The 6511's are the stereo drivers, the 6510's are the SDA drivers and the 6513's are the sub bass drivers that have the donut weight mass mounted to the speaker cones.

I believe the donut is just added to an existing MW 65?? driver to make it a 6513. I have a feeling they used a 6503 to make a 6513 driver but I'm not sure.

His 6513 has a 10 stamped on it like it was from a M10 speaker. A 6513 might just be a 6503 with the donut added to it. Polk might have needed some that 6503's for production and may have used a 6513's that didn't have the donut attached yet to keep the production line going.

If you look at the full size image you'll see all the stampings on his 6513 driver match the ones on the 6503 driver next to it. Even the signature matches.

In his first post you can see his 6513 driver lacks the donut weight mass. It's not a true 6513 driver. He may be just fine with the drivers he has, hard to say.

I agree the drivers in the first picture are correct (or at least how they came from the factory) and not a hack replacement. The chances you can blow a speaker and find a replacement 6503/6513 with both of the date stamps and signature identical are slim at best. Maybe the original paper label was wrong or it was a Monday morning special but they came from the factory that way.