Jennings Research speakers

13»

Comments

• corticocortico Posts: 405
    Tony M wrote: »
    Beautiful speakers.
    I love finding older rare speakers in great condition or close to it.

The instrumental " Riviera Paradise " by Stevie Ray Vaughn you played in your video was a song I used for years as a demo to show off Polk Audio speakers and some other kinds once in a while. But that instrumental on my SDA-SRS2"s is PHENOMINAL or SPECTACULAR ! People would ALWAYS ask me after playing it, "Who is that again and the name of it ?" It's a very, very well recorded instrumental !!

Thanks Tony!

Finding old rare old speaker and restore them its rewarding.

I also think the "Riviera Paradise" by Stevie is an great performance and tasfuly recorded, great player and track. There is a plephora of playing style nuances and overtones i use as reference when listening gear.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel Von Recklinghausen
    edited October 2017
    I have found out this page with the specs:

"Frequency response of 38-24,000Hz, frequencies are crossed over and divided at 1750Hz in 12 Db per Octave segments"

nhkbr3okvvqp.jpg

"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel Von Recklinghausen
  • xschopxschop Posts: 866
    Those landed in good hands. Someone that respects the uniqueness and nostalgia as well as SQ of the rebuild.
    xschop wrote: »
    Those landed in good hands. Someone that respects the uniqueness and nostalgia as well as SQ of the rebuild.

Thank you for the kind words!
  • I found a pair of these in the local thrift store for $16 about 2 years ago. They were in near perfect shape. I used Feed-n-Wax to polish them up and now they look perfect. Great sounding speakers and a real work of art. I added feet to them to get a solid stance.

Not much to find on the www about them and everything I have seen is posted here.
    Hi all, Happy New Year

I have purchased 4 cheap Goldwood GW-8028 ($25) to temporarily replace the original drivers while those are being restored. The mentioned earlier the cabinets are closed and Frequency response is 38-24,000Hz, crossed over and divided at 1750Hz.

I was not expecting much from these but surprisingly it performed really well. Great synergy with the original peerless tweeters and Marantz 2270. The sound is on the warm side but has a very pleasant vintage vibe to it.

Question is, it will sound like heresy, but could this be superior to the original vintage drivers?

Product Specifications
    Nominal Diameter8"
    Power Handling (RMS)100 Watts
    Power Handling (max)190 Watts
    Impedance8 ohms
    Frequency Response25 to 6,000 Hz
    Sensitivity84 dB 2.83V/1m
    Voice Coil Diameter1.5"
    Magnet Weight20 oz.

Thiele-Small Parameters
    Resonant Frequency (Fs)36 HzDC
    Resistance (Re)7.2 ohms
    Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.5 mH
    Mechanical Q (Qms)3.9
    Electromagnetic Q (Qes)1.21Total Q (Qts)0.92
    Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)1.54 ft.³
    Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.73 mm/N
    BL Product (BL)6 Tm
    Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)26.9g
    Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)2.5 mm
    Surface Area of Cone (Sd)218.2 cm²

Materials of Construction
    Cone MaterialPolySurround MaterialRubber
    Basket / Frame MaterialSteelMagnet MaterialFerrite

Mounting Information
    Overall Outside Diameter8"
    Baffle Cutout Diameter7.25"
    Depth3.625"# Mounting Holes4
    Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
    Sealed Volume1.85 ft.³Sealed F341 Hz
    Vented Volume7.34 ft.³Vented F323 Hz
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,045
    I used Goldwoods on a bunch of speakers and one set of AR's or Advent's they sounded GREAT!
    I got a few compliments on their sound too. Hated to sell them. But the new owner called me back and said they sounded FANTASTIC in his home. He thanked me again!

I know originals are designed with the whole speaker parts designed as a whole. But in this case and my own experience years ago, I think cheap Goldwoods are GREAT cheap replacements sometimes.

This is COOL! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    I hear you! $25 each really?! Madison speaker recomended this based on the speaker specs and cabinet volume... listening Diana Krall as I type and it sounds beautifully.
13»