Zero Turn Mowers. Experience? Opinions?

Options
I know this is not a regular topic for us audio geeks but I know some of guys have to have opinions on zero turn mowers.

I have a 1 acre lot. Fairly smooth. About 75% of the lot is lawn and 25% is field grass but has been kept mowed for the last few years. Been mowing it with a rider, Cub Cadet, and am looking at purchasing a consumer grade zero turn. Main goal is to reduce seat time and quality of cut.

I am considering the usual suspects, Toro and Cub Cadet, at Home Depot and Lowes. But ran into the Bad Boy ZT Elite at Tractor supply. The Bad Boy is a more beefy machine. The deck is not stamped, the engine is a step above and the overall build it just better all the way around.

These appear to be a better quality product but would like to get any feedback users of any of these may have.

Now as we all know quality comes at a price and the Bad Boy is about $1200-$1500 more than the Toro or Cub. But from what I have seen the Bad Boy dealer is ready to work on the price and Home Depot and Lowes are what they are. Take it or leave it.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks as always.
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Personally I would avoid the Home Depot and Lowes options. They tend to be much more if a lightweight machine. Of course this depends on how much you mow and how long you plan to keep it.

As far as zero turn, a good one is much faster than anything I've ever used.

Be sure to do your homework.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I had to borrow a friend's older Cub Cadet zero turn for a couple mows this summer while my Wheel Horse tractor was out of commission. I liked it a lot. It cut well, and was FAST. However, with all the trees in my yard, I couldn't really run it as fast as it was capable of. If you have a fairly open and consistent (smooth) yard, they cut fantastic. My yard is far from perfect, so the larger deck didn't do as good as my smaller deck. His had a 54" deck, and I run the smallest (36") deck on my Wheelhorse. (Let the jokes about deck size commence!)

Don't shy away from used. You'll probably get 10X the mower for 1/5 the price. New stuff these days (with the exception of commercial grade) is disposable. I believe my buddy picked up that cub for under a grand a few years ago and it works like a champ.

Prices on the used market are probably coming down with mowing season nearing it's end too... Depending on where you are though obviously.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I like the EXmark
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Check out SKAG Power Equipment...I have a Turf Tiger that I bought used..and let me tell ya..it gets the job done...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I don't know that it would be worth it for just 1 acre; especially a premium zero-turn.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think it is all going to come down to cost vs value. Not really any different than our normal topics of discussion.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Shop I worked for many years ago was a Toro dealer. Junk. And when you get the big chains involved the quality and workmanship goes down cuz they demand lower costs. Every corner they can cut is taken to cut costs. Searching for a used higher end unit makes the most sense to me even if from a turf shop to get some after purchase piece of mind. Even if sold "as is" or no warranty, that shop is going to do what they can to help you if you have a problem. They want you coming back in the future for parts and service.
  • drselect
    Options
    Used to live in Batesville Ar were Bad Boy are assembled. Had a chance to use one of their mowers for several years. Have not had any experience with any other mowers you mentioned. The Bad Boys are fast and made short work of the mowing I was doing. They are built solid but one thing to keep in mind when they do break the repair/parts costs can be high.

You might also want to check out Spartan mowers. [url="http://spartanmowers.com/[/url]. The two original founders of Bad Boy had a falling out which resulted in one keeping BadBoy and the other Starting Spartan mowers. Both are assembled in Batesville.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Walker and Scag make good stuff. Not sure I'd buy one from Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards type store though.

Get a used 32" Walker with a Kawasaki motor on it.

Honda makes commercial hydrostatic mowers that would last you the rest of your life. They're $1,200 but the one I have has mowed tens of thousands of lawns and it's still as reliable as ever. Rear wheel drive and it can propel itself without the blades being engaged. One acre really isn't that big to get a 32"+ mower really.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I'd buy it from a dealer. Toro, JD, Exmark and Cub Cadet are the major names. Most cutting services around here use either Toro or Exmark. I got a great deal from a dealer and bought a Toro. The model was in between a consumer and contractor grade. I've owned it for 8 years and cut every 4-5 days and have not had 1 problem. The speed and quality of cut, to me, is what sets a zero turn apart from a tractor. I've never had or driven a tractor that continually cut as well as a zero turn. Blade speed and deck height has a lot to do with it. Having the zero turn has cut my mowing time in half! From over 2 hours with a 42" tractor to 50 minutes with a 54" zero turn. Your 1 acre is not that big of a yard, so a consumer grade tractor or zero turn would probably be all you need from a dealer. For large yards, I'll never buy a tractor again.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    No experience with zero turn but I would recommend buying from a dealer. The models found at HD/Lowes are NOT the same models found at a dealer. Two different grades.

My JD riding mower is excellent with my yard full of trees and boulders.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I have the Skag Liberty http://scag.com/OPManuals/LibertyZ/SZLOPMANTOC.html

I think the Liberty would be great for your application...1 acre, most of which is actual lawn. I actually need something a bit more heavy duty. I have about 4 acres, about one acre which I mow weekly. It does a great job on most of the area that I mow weekly, but there are two areas that are pretty rough and it's a bit of a bumpy ride. About 4 times a year I mow the entire 4 acres and though the Liberty does a fine job, I really need a more heavy duty model.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I have the Skag Liberty http://scag.com/OPManuals/LibertyZ/SZLOPMANTOC.html

I think the Liberty would be great for your application...1 acre, most of which is actual lawn. I actually need something a bit more heavy duty. I have about 4 acres, about one acre which I mow weekly. It does a great job on most of the area that I mow weekly, but there are two areas that are pretty rough and it's a bit of a bumpy ride. About 4 times a year I mow the entire 4 acres and though the Liberty does a fine job, I really need a more heavy duty model.

Upgrade, sell him yours and get the 56-65" commercial deck ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    When you say 'reduce seat time and quality of cut' you are exactly right. I have a 52" Simplicity ZTR and it takes me 20 minutes o mow my half acre. I much preferred my Toro commercial push mower quality of cut. Having said that, I would rather spend my Sunday's watching football and I wont give up my ZTR.

The point is don't worry so much about the badge on the mower. any ZTR is going to give you a mediocre cut in a short period of time. Buy a brand with a good service network to be safe and enjoy the extra time it gives you.
  • tratliff
    Options
    I really appreciate all the information. Many are correct that I may be considering something that is built for more acreage but I want to make a purchase that will last many years and be problem free. My hope is that the machine will be my last mower purchase. I also want to get done with my weekly chore as quickly as possible. To me that is worth the extra cost.

My current Cub Cadet routinely has something wrong that causes me to have to perform maintenance to get the weekly activities complete. Nothing is more frustrating than to plan on spending Saturday morning mowing the grass to find out that a belt/spindle... is in need of repair.

It looks like its coming down to the Bad Boy ZT Elite and the Scag Liberty. Leaning towards the Bad Boy at the moment but will be demoing a Scag later today.

If the value proposition of the Scag is like the Bad Boy then it will be a difficult decision.
  • vmaxer
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You may also consider a John Deere, I went out looking a couple years ago (for ZTR). Had a new Cub Cadet (dealer - not Lowe's) lined up. Decided to think about it a bit. I went by the local John Deere dealer knowing I wouldn't/couldn't buy a new one.

They had one used ZTR, model Z930A. They had sold it new and took in back in on trade. This is a commercial mower (more than I needed).

Long story short....bought it and cut my mowing time by more than half, rugged as can be - a beast.

It has the electric deck lift, not crazy about it as far as when it goes out, if ever. Would be expensive to repair.

I can't imagine I will ever need another mower. The guy asked me how many yards I mowed and did I mow every day of the week. I told him only one yard, mine - around 2 acres, give or take, but a lot of trees and objects to mow around. He looked at me and said this should be your last mower if you take care of it.

I love it. One way to compare is the overall weight of the mowers. You will notice quickly the Lowe's and Home Depot are much lighter.
    Mine is a bit over 1,400 pounds. I would make sure it has a suspension seat, trust me and thank me later.

Have fun.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbiron
    Options
    The cup holder looks nicer on the BB Elite than the Scag.....i say buy that one!
  • vmaxer
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    The cup holder looks nicer on the BB Elite than the Scag.....i say buy that one!

A cooler fits nicely at my feet on mine.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tratliff
    edited September 2017
    Options

I think cup holders are really meaningless on these. In fact I have never used the one on my Cub Cadet except to put trash in that I pick up in the yard. I can't imagine how much debris would be in my drink or on top of my cup if I used it.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

I think cup holders are really meaningless on these. In fact I have never used the one on my Cub Cadet except to put trash in that I pick up in the yard. I can't imagine how much debris would be in my drink or on top of my cup if I used it.

Real men use sippy cups

• tratliff
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Real men use sippy cups

I would say real men take a break and make a crown and coke.
  • mrbiron
    Options

I put a suicide knob on the Deere. Having a free hand really helps maintain a constant flow of beer down the esophagus.
  • vmaxer
    Options

I put a suicide knob on the Deere. Having a free hand really helps maintain a constant flow of beer down the esophagus.

They don't work so well on ZTR's.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbiron
    Options
    You just haven't tried hard enough ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    Hey Todd, just checked in with a buddy who has a Cub Cadet.

He's had an L60 since 2011, and has a 3 acre lot.
    Bangs that out in about 90 minutes as long as his kids don't flip it in the ditch.

Never been in the shop for any major maintenance requirements. Has only ever really changed the oil and blades from time to time, but says he probably needs to have it in for hydraulic service at this point.

Just a little extra info for you there.

Says the seat could be a little more comfortable, but he suffers from Diminished Glutes Syndrome.

DGS Is No Joking Matter.
    Get Informed.
    Get Involved.
    You Do Not Have To Become A Statistic!
    mq4eup3pdrjw.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well, I demoed the Scag. It was a nice machine but for the price ($4399 originally $5199) I don't feel like its the best option. So I will be picking up the Bad Boy ($3999 originally $4999).

The dealers are very proud of the Scags. Not much room or willingness to work on price and somewhat had an attitude when discussing other comparable models.

BB had a slightly upgraded engine, 27hp vs 24hp but both Kohler 7000 series, more substantial 60" deck with 6 vs 4 anti scalp wheels, upgraded transmission of same brand, larger tires on both front and back, heavier gauge front wheel forks, electric deck lift.

Scag had fixed ROPS, smaller footprint to make it more nimble and a 54" deck.

After researching, driving and comparing I am not sure they are actual comparable models. Seems like a Scag Patriot might be a better comparison but at a higher price.

Wish me luck. I'll get some pictures after I get it to the house.

Thanks to everyone for the information. This is a great place for honest opinions.
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Good luck, I think that will work well for you.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    Both are good machines, but my choice would have been the Scag - although both are good choices. The Scags are built better - they're also the only zero turn that can claim made in America. The warranty is better on them as well.

I bought a Scag cheetah last month. I love it, but I paid $4200 and it had 1100 hours. We have 20 acres, but I don't mow all of that. But I wanted something commercial grade that would stand up to the test of time. You likely won't have this problem, but I find every time I mow, I mow a little more acreage than I had previously just because I can...haha.

My biggest recommendation is to pay attention to the deck size. You don't want to get something that you is too wide to maneuver between trees, get into fences, etc. Mine is a 61", but we don't have a lot of stuff too close together where I have to worry about needing a smaller deck.

The time this thing saves me is unreal. To not have to sit on a mower for 4+ hours every weekend during the summer was worth the price alone.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tratliff
    Options
    Cody don't get me wrong the Scag was a nice machine but what you get for the price was not comparable. I would have to move higher up the line to get a Scag that was at the same level. And I was already way over the beginning budget.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    another resurrection . . .

End of season sale (and on a friends rec) prompted me to look into Gravely, a subsidiary of Ariens (based in the UK)

All the info that I can find indicate Made in Wisconsin with a Kawasaki engine. That's a good combo IMHO and in most of the reviews I've read

Anywho, welcome to 2023 and the prices have skyrocketed . . . End of season sale is the way to go, bro!

This week the dealer will deliver a Gravely ZT HD 54 that's nicely discounted with a couple of accessories

https://www.gravely.com/en-us/power-equipment/zero-turn-mowers/zt-hd/zt-hd-52-kawasaki

Bonus . . . young couple that moved in next door are very interested in my Cub Cadet 2185

I wonder if there's a way to mount 3-way speakers to drown out the Kow motor :D:D:D
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12