JESSE the woodman, Need your help

Options
Jesse,
I have some kitchen cabinets that have wear on them. How do I go about repairing something like this? These cabinets aren't anything special, typical residential/cookie cutter house kitchen cabs:

g64hx5g4r457.jpg
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    Steve get a bunch of rags. Cans of Methl Ethel Ketone, Tung oil, Lacquer Thinner and some Kerosene. Pour on rags pile them into the corner closest to the cabinets. Go out to a big loong dinner. When you come home the job will be done.... ahem i was never here.....

Kidding.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    That's years of water damage, which has caused the finish to delaminate. The color was mixed with the clear coat and sprayed on. There is no easy fix. Try contacting your local furniture repair shop to see if they think touching up the damaged areas is possible. Otherwise, you're looking at stripping and refinishing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks Jesse, thankfully it's only an issue with about 4-5 cabinet door edges. Arizona has a fascination with making kitchen/bathroom cabinets without door pulls, so this wear is usally seen where people grab on to open the cabinet. The pic I posted is the cab right under the sink, so I can imagine years of wet hands reaching under to run the disposal.

Jesse, when say clear coat, what type of finish is it typically?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    It should be either pre-catalyzed or catalyzed lacquer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk