About to attempt a subwoofer repair - RM6000

Options
My RM6000BD took an electrical hit and stopped working. I opened it up and found the fuse was burned out, but also one of the capacitors swelled and leaking fluid.

I am thinking I can de-soulder the capacitor and replace it with a similar part (4700 35v +105c) and pop in a new fuse. Anyone have experience in this and advice?

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    Make sure you get the polarity correct (take a photo of original). Also, probably best to get a good low ESR, 10k hr cap. All that said, you might find that it still doesn't work if the electrical hit (lightning?) was strong enough. It could have zapped any one of components.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That's a filter cap in the power supply. I suggest that you replace both of the large ones as well as the small ones in that section as well. Also, yes do use 105°C caps for better protection against heat.

Still, there could be other components that took a hit as stated.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Agree with the above posters about other components that may have fried also. Usually when something takes a hit like that, it's toast. The RM6000 sub isn't expensive and you may be better off looking for a working used one or another sub to upgrade to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable