Free Audioengine A5 speaker pair - amp not working

Options
Kurt300
Kurt300 Posts: 302
edited September 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Audioengine kindly gave me a deep discount on upgrading to 5+ speakers, as these are out of warranty. They advised me to simply dispose of the faulty "5" speakers. If anyone would like to convert them to passive (unpowered), I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping. I'm in OKC.
Post edited by Kurt300 on

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hold that thought

Yup, I'm in. Zip is 17543.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    If FB passes put me in line, please.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    ^Same
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Kurt300
    Options
    Will do, guys. Working details with FB.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Sorry guys, I'm all over it.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I'm all over it.

Dont be sorry..... just post pictures afterwards...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Will do, these are destined to go into Caety's art studio, along with some small form factor amplification and a Bluetooth adapter. Not sure if I'll mod the guts, or gut the built in amp all together and run a small tube amp instead... Too many variables at the moment.
  • FestYboy
    edited September 2017
    Options
    zgtn0l3y6y68.jpg
    I think I found the problem... This piece let the magic smoke out! Looks to be poor layout and packaging being the cause. That amp IC wasn't able to breathe with all the wires and foam shoved on top of it. Created a local hotel spot, and POOF!
    px8nc6g1vuv6.jpg
    It's the amp for the passive Speaker
  • Kurt300
    Options
    The A5s are notorious for that. The A5+s have a much better rep. Good going!
  • FestYboy
    Options
    m9ybcrraj1ii.jpg
    Got so hot it melted the port tube!?! Wow!
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    Man I'm local... I wonder how difficult it'd be to convert them to passive?
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Yessir, and the conversion is rather simple really. Just need some black plastic sheet approx 1/8-3/16" thick, cut to fit INSIDE the hole where the amp plate sits, remove sections for the port tube and binding posts, remove all of the components on the amp plate except the binding posts, apply Power Grab to the inside of the now naked plate being sure to avoid the holes, mount the plastic, then add a layer of dynamat over that. The plate is now acoustically dead and you can take the XO components off the circuit board and remount them on another piece of plastic inside the box.

Bob's your uncle...