Burned VC in RD0-194...

So I toasted a tweeter tonight in my RTA 12C's. Is it possible to just replace the dome/VC assembly in a RD0-194? Looks like it's just 4 screws. Is realignment tricky or even possible?

Also, from other reading I understand that it is possible for a coil to burn up when a polyswirch goes bad or starts to fail. Correct? I was listening at moderate volume and was replugging some cables, accidentally inducing a "pop" into the channel, pretty sure that's what let the smoke out (literally). Didn't blow the fuse though, so I'm not sure why she went down.

Any insights would be greatly welcomed. Thank you in advance!
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Always shut down before swapping cables.

Probably easier to just replace the entire tweeter. Not sure where you'd get the exact parts anyway.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You're lucky it was just a tweeter. Never unplug or plug in connections when the gear is powered up, never.

You'll have to buy the entire tweeter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2017
    Are there polyswitches if there are fuses?

Sharp spikes like mic drops, plug/unplugs, feedback etc, is so quick that fuses, light bulb protection devices and polyswitches never have the time to react. It happens more on a live stage type system more than at home, but it does happen even with the best of setups. Try a needle drop on an album when playing the flip side at volume.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Jay, Like you I also broke the Cardinal rule #1 of working/rewiring of any kind while the gear is powered. My nightmare was that I touched spkr terminals and the result was replacing a 7and half amp rail fuse in my Adcom GFA-555. Wouldn't of been all that bad but the Adcom has like 40 square drive screws to remove the top and then you have to let it power down to replace the fuse or else you could be looking at a good shock if the amp did not discharge all the way. A good hand slapping I did get. NEVER AGAIN.
    Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc