I am very happy

Comments

• RealisticRealistic Posts: 349
    Msg I have been putting all my cds onto reel tape, it really does sound a lot nicer, not as tinny or brittle to me if that makes sense. Not really sure how to describe it, it is smoother for sure. My wife and I have been hunting around thrift stores and the like for pre recorded tapes but have yet to come across any, we are going Saturday to look. I did find a Led Zeppelin III pre recorded on a 7inch reel for 177.00 plus shipping I just couldn't pull the trigger and I really don't have that kind of money for one tape.
    You are all more than welcome to come listen if you are ever in upstate NY, small country town.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,362
    afterburnt wrote: »
    That's the rig I wanted when I was 16! I would still love to have it. Very cool!

Last year? >:)

Ken, you have made it quite clear that you think that I am a more on. I take no offense as I admire your uncanny penchant to surmise the obvious. Bravo my good man!
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
    Thanks for all the kind words guys.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 496
    more on.
    I hope this was intentional. :o
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,819
    @Realistic

I blame you for making me purchase a Equalizer to run from my Denons REC OUT lol...

Literally tonight you started this sickness with me :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • you can get new R2R tapes for $450 a pop at acoustic sounds...
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
    EndersShadow I am happy I could help LOL. What did you buy? Post a picture when you get it.
    Yup I know all about those tapes, no way man.
    Rednedtugent would the monitor 7s pair up well with my set up?
    EndersShadow take two aspirin for the sickness and call me in the morning, LOL.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,362
    Viking64 wrote: »
    more on.
    I hope this was intentional. :o

Don't pay attention to him, that guys a but whole.
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
  • Can't think of why they wouldn't. If you get some w/ the peerless tweeter you might not even want to go the upgrade route to the Polk RDO replacements.
    They are wide. Space may be an issue. 7's are good all-rounders.
    Realistic wrote: »
    Rednedtugent would the monitor 7s pair up well with my set up?

Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,207
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
    edited September 1
    EndersShadow I am happy I could help LOL. What did you buy? Post a picture when you get it.

I'm either picking up this baby off CL, Pioneer GR-777

bbf02483a6a4.jpg

Or this one BDR EQ-3000 .... (more likely this one as its from a buddy and 1/4 the cost of the CL one)..

bsrEQ3K.jpg

I'm gonna turn it on only for the girls when we are jamming out :smile:

@mhardy6647

You got anything like these in your "vintage storage facility"?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    I also found these interesting kits that would work just fine.

Kit 1

Kit 2

Kit 3
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,207
    I would love to have one of those spectrum analyzers in blue with stereo 32 bands in blue LED. I used to love watching them dance to the music as a teen.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • warrenwarren Posts: 542
    Hi guys its been some time since I have been here but I have been working on building a modest system. I would like to thank Todd and Ken for all there help and for there new found friendship. I was able to barter off old gear and with some cash I have reached a pretty good point thus far. I would also like to say that anyone on the fence about jumping into the reel to reel game, do it the sound is fantastic, well to me anyway. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. From top to bottom Pioneer PL-560, Pioneer DT-500, PIONEER SA-9500II amp, Pioneer TX-9500II Tuner, Sony CDP-XE500, Pioneer SG-750, Pioneer RG-2, Pioneer SR-303, Pioneer CT-F900, and to the left of the rack is a Pioneer 1020L.mew0q69w8gr8.jpg
    f64bwqq2rk3o.jpg
    u1z4psx72rwr.jpg
    Modest??? Wow!!! That's a winner...!!

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,098
    edited September 1
    msg wrote: »
    Re: R2R, do you buy old tapes for that sort of thing, or make your own?

How's the fidelity? I have zero experience. Didn't people used to buy records, record them to tape and then put the records away, listening only to the tape copy?

Oh, do you need another expensive rabbit hole?
    The fidelity can be superb -- remember for a long, long (long) time, virtually all all records were mastered from tapes.

16151700256_6657fda6fe_b.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

http://www.tapeproject.com

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• tratlifftratliff Posts: 512
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    Re: R2R, do you buy old tapes for that sort of thing, or make your own?

How's the fidelity? I have zero experience. Didn't people used to buy records, record them to tape and then put the records away, listening only to the tape copy?

The fidelity can be superb -- remember for a long, long (long) time, virtually all all records were mastered from tapes.

16151700256_6657fda6fe_b.jpgOtari MX5050 010215 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The MX-5050 is exactly what I'm looking to add. Just trying to secure tapes.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Sharp Aquos 70"

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

EndersShadow I wish I did , it took forever to locate the one I have. Those kits you linked me to are pretty cool, I have also seen bigger models on ebay that the girls would really be able to jam out too. Post a picture of whatever you grab in action, please.
    Todd did your dad get his RTR? Buying new pre recorded tape is not a option for me, half the fun of owning a RTR for me is making my own tape mix or putting complete albums on tape its a good time and I enjoy the sound it reproduces over a cd.
    Msg do you have anyone near you with a RTR ? If so go give it a listen I don't think you will be disappointed in the sq.
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,422
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ahhhh, jeez.
    Short answer? No. No I do not.
    dare I click?
    (too late)
    I just picked up 15 7inch reels for 20.00, sony, scotch, radio shack, audio tape, and one branded irish. I am going to give them all a spin tomorrow and see whats been recorded onto them, one was recorded in 1963.
    Thanks again for all the kind comments on my system.
    Msg, people sure did record there LPs to tape to preserve and protect the records, I have new and used records that I have already put on tape.
    I'm either picking up this baby off CL, Pioneer GR-777

bbf02483a6a4.jpg

Or this one BDR EQ-3000 .... (more likely this one as its from a buddy and 1/4 the cost of the CL one)..

bsrEQ3K.jpg

@mhardy6647

You got anything like these in your "vintage storage facility"?

@mhardy6647 ... did you happen to see this? Figured you might have something in that massive warehouse of audio finds of yours lol....

• msgmsg Posts: 3,422
    Msg do you have anyone near you with a RTR ? If so go give it a listen I don't think you will be disappointed in the sq.
    Nah man, I don't know anyone locally with one. My parents had one when we were really young, but something went wrong with it and I can only remember seeing it used a couple of times. I'm a bit intrigued, though. I like these analog media formats that involve a bit of ritual. I'm also just realizing as I write that people probably enjoy the benefit of recording records to tape because they didn't have to mess with cleaning the records all the time!

I'm going to see if my Dad still has any of the old tapes around. Doubt it, though.
    Just remembered using his 8-tracks for building blocks when I was around 4 or so... Made good garages for my diecast cars.
  • halohalo Posts: 3,665
    mew0q69w8gr8.jpg
    f64bwqq2rk3o.jpg
    u1z4psx72rwr.jpg

Bob, that is one seriously sweet setup you've got there. Congrats man & thanks for sharing the pics!