New Polk HTS Subwoofers

2»

Comments

• dolbyddolbyd Posts: 78
    edited September 9
    DaveHo wrote: »
    They look nice until you get to the plastic power port base. Would have been better on the back, but then where do you mount the amp? Wonder how that will hold up when someone drops a sub.

It is the same design as the PSW1200. Polk should definitely reuse this proven design I think.
    Should be better today with more power. I always thought the 1200 need more cabinet for 2-12" woofers.
    Matt Polk and the guys sure have added a lot of proven technology to the industry.

Long Live Power Port! :)
    LS90
    RT16
    CS350LS
    RT2000P
    CS1000p
    RTiA9 x4
    CSiA6
    SVS PC-2000(2)
    DSW440
    LSi7
    LSiC
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    I'm wondering if these subs have the same issue as the floor standing Signature speakers, no capability to install spikes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,995
    edited September 10
    The plastic base is for sure a matter of personal taste. Overall I think they hit their target design goals of making them look just like the rest of the line and adding in the power port. To do away with plastic would required something expensive like aluminum, hardwood, etc...not going to happen at the given price point. The older Rel T series comes to mind. Much more expensive entry sub. They used a PR some no need for a port.
    REL%20tseries-group.preview.jpg

Still, not bad looking when looking around at others with a plastic base. As far as spikes...I guess not a part of the design goals. I'm sure they could have come up with a cheap plastic spike design at the very least....I'm seen it many times on other speakers. Still, if one wanted them on the towers...a handy person could add them to the feet...or better yet get a second set to work with. Drill a hole and get something like these to work.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Speaker-Spike-Stand-Foot-Speaker-Cone-Isolation-Spikes-Set-of-8-/151624825521?hash=item234d8b3ab1:g:ZjcAAOSwBLlVC3cJ
    polk-audio-hts-subwoofer-family-640x427-c.jpg

2475869_17632.jpg

yamaha05.jpg
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • @mrloren we may have to set something up then.

@F1nut, Jesse I will look into that for you.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,144
    @KenCustomerService sure thing. I am busy all this weekend. Just PM me when is good for you. I'll give it a test for a week.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk TSX250C
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S30
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • VoodooGTSVoodooGTS Posts: 58
    Which would be better. 1 SVS SB-2000 or (2)Polks new HTS 12 subwoofer ? Tempted !
  • @F1nut, I finally found out, the HTS does not have the capability to install spikes in them.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,807
    VoodooGTS wrote: »
    Which would be better. 1 SVS SB-2000 or (2)Polks new HTS 12 subwoofer ? Tempted !

Try both brands and return 1
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Budgie Phono Pre | Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,668

Depends in part on room and application. If you going to run them in true stereo for music, then two is better than one. Especially if its a larger room. However, the SVS will provide stronger output in the 20-30 hz range and more output overall, and take less space. So, unless you are running true stereo for music, I would go with the SVS.
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,426

Have to go with the single SVS.

I think the bigger amp in the SVS would be stressed less, and I really don't care for the looks of the signature series sub.
  • Rich502Rich502 Posts: 65

A sealed box sub versus two ported subs? Even though the svs is more powerful the output of two ported subs would probably be greater. Why not compare to the PB2000 to two HTS12?
  • VoodooGTSVoodooGTS Posts: 58
    Thanks for the input everyone. Mainly use for movies. My current set up is with a SVS PB2000. Sounds great but I was always curious on a dual ported sub set up. Really love how the new HTS12 subs look!
    Wish Polk had a hassle free subwoofer to test the subs.
    yjid0dq1a5q7.jpg

• MarflyMarfly Posts: 36
    edited October 13
    I wouldn't mind a test drive with my TL2 Black Stones. Any feedback on how the HTS 10 would fair in a 2.1 setup with these?
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,813
    @F1nut, I finally found out, the HTS does not have the capability to install spikes in them.

Not that big a deal IMHO. Just grab something like this from lowes, cut it in two, layer the pieces up, paint it black and install spikes on it.

Or just buy a amp stand as the dimensions should be somewhat similar......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,668
    @F1nut, I finally found out, the HTS does not have the capability to install spikes in them.

Not that big a deal IMHO. Just grab something like this from lowes, cut it in two, layer the pieces up, paint it black and install spikes on it.

Or just buy a amp stand as the dimensions should be somewhat similar......

True, or if you really want spikes just take the money and buy a sub that can accept spikes ;-)
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,456
    Forget the spikes and put it on an Auralic subdude.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,995
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Decoupling works. Maybe even better than coupling in some cases. No spikes is not the end of the world when dealing with subs.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,456
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Meant auralex subdude. Looks like my phone learnt Auralic as in the Aries. Haha... so smart but soo dumb.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Anyone had a chance to try the new HTS subs yet? Says its been available from the Polk site for a couple of weeks now.
2»