SDA 2A

I have a set of SDA 2A.looking to upgrade the crossovers. Can anybody help with a parts list and where to buy?

Best Answer

Answers

• Thank you pitdogg2. I did as you advised me the big caps run a little over $50 ea and there is two on each speaker. I'm going to send the crossovers out to have them upgrade. Don't know how the guy at the shop came up with a quote of $150 to do both speakers but he got the job. The other upgrades i can do myself
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    jos2832 wrote: »
    Thank you pitdogg2. I did as you advised me the big caps run a little over $50 ea and there is two on each speaker. I'm going to send the crossovers out to have them upgrade. Don't know how the guy at the shop came up with a quote of $150 to do both speakers but he got the job. The other upgrades i can do myself

Good luck mine ran over 300.00 just for caps and resistor's alone. I did my own and uses axon caps for the large value and Sonicaps and mills resistors everywhere else.

Send up pictures when you get them back we like to new stuff.
  • pitdogg2
    While the XO's are getting done why not glue the magnets to help keep them from shifting. Loctite power grab is the new preferred glue. Cleans up with water and soap.
    MW6510's are getting harder to find.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Thank you pitdogg2. I did as you advised me the big caps run a little over $50 ea and there is two on each speaker. I'm going to send the crossovers out to have them upgrade. Don't know how the guy at the shop came up with a quote of $150 to do both speakers but he got the job. The other upgrades i can do myself

Because he's using cheaper caps and resistors.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I wanted to ask you about the two small ceramic capacitors I guess one is protection for the tweeter and the other that goes over the 12μf cap. They get removed completely correct?
  • F1nut
    edited September 2017
    The small mustard yellow or blue one is the the polyswitch. Remove it and replace with a .5 ohm 10 or 12 watt Mills resistor. The dark brown one is a bypass cap. Remove it and do not replace it with anything.

Did you ask this person what components they plan on using? It makes a big difference which caps and resistors they use.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Yes I did, he's using Solen and Dayton caps. The quote was for the caps only no resistors. The man has recently recap two receivers for me. So I trust his work. Would like to know who is his supplier cause I would to do the job myself.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2017
    Very poor choice of caps and you should do the resistors. You can buy caps and resistors online. Sonic Craft will have everything you need and I highly recommend them.

President of Club Polk

• I tried Sonic Craft website but it is temporarily down
  • jos2832 wrote: »
    I tried Sonic Craft website but it is temporarily down

It works for me?? They were closed and not excepting orders until today but the site was always up. I've been hoping they have a sale soon, I have 4 pairs of speakers waiting to be done.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• pitdogg2
    Yes I did, he's using Solen and Dayton caps. The quote was for the caps only no resistors. The man has recently recap two receivers for me. So I trust his work. Would like to know who is his supplier cause I would to do the job myself.

Most likely parts express or madisound.
  • Well I recaped my sda 2a's yesterday. The speakers played well with a very noticeable improvement in sound it was like night and day. After a few hour my wife decided to crank it up minutes later one speaker started smoking now the tweeter is not working.
  • pitdogg2
    What are you using to power them?
  • I'm using a pioneer sx-5590 thats a European version of the sx-1250
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2017
    Not NEARLY enough power or current. That is why the tweeter popped. SDA2a start at 4 ohm and dip very low be carful you could toast that receiver. That tweeter was cooked because the receiver was sending a clipped signal. Try and drive those with that and keep it low or you will continue to cook tweeters and fry other parts of the crossover.

Edit: while that receiver is pretty stout for a receiver the current is more than likely much lower than an amplifier. If the receiver is in its stock form state chances are it may not be able to push like it did new. The large caps do dry out and loose the ability to fill to capacity as they did new. It does use jumpers so you actually can add an amplifier to it if needed and use it as the pre-amp for volume and such.

Be careful
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • The receiver was recaped about a 2 years ago. What amplifier would you recommend for use with the sda 2a?
  • pitdogg2
    The receiver was recaped about a 2 years ago. What amplifier would you recommend for use with the sda 2a?

Well that was a pretty good investment. Were all the big Cap's in the power supply done as well or just all the smaller in the audio path or on the board.

There are many I'd look for something at least 200WPC Parasound, Sunfire, Adcom 555 (many other Adcom's are not common ground) there are many to choose from. I run a Carver TFM 45 completely recapped and rebuilt not too many years ago. Some brighter amps may not pair well but the amps are endless just need to get your ears on them to see for yourself.

• F1nut
    While pitdogg2 is likely spot on about the clipping another possibility is you messed up rebuilding that crossover somehow.

President of Club Polk

• Yes I was thinking that it could be error on my part. After the rebuild I did play them for about 3 hours at half volume with no problem. The sound was much better with the new caps in place. Its when the volume was cranked up when the tweeter on one speaker started smoking. I matched all value for the caps, using Dayton 12μf 250v , 20μf 250v and Solen 130μf 400v and Mills 2.7ohms resistors plus the .5 ohm 12 watt resistor for the polyswitch as you recommended. Tweeters were original.
  • pitdogg2
    That Solen must be a giant at 400v. Just one cap?
  • Yes very big cap two caps on each speaker couldn't find one at 250v like the others. Was told it will work. Original cap were 50v
  • pitdogg2
    Yep it will work fine just huge. Did you set those on the speaker floor?
  • No glued them to the crossover board
  • pitdogg2
    No glued them to the crossover board

Whoa i hope they do not break the stand off keepers. Weren't they as big as soup or pop cans?
  • Close to a soda can in size. Have to check the stand off keepers hope they didn't break.
  • pitdogg2
    You may be better to redo that. Run wires to the xo and sit glue to the bottom. That might be too heavy in the long run. Your call i have the same speakers and the 3 caps i used were big(but not that big) and i ended up sitting them hot glued on board screwed to floor of the cabinet. Like i said your call i can't see what you see.