wood care (sort of) question: cleaning lacquer finish?

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited August 2017 in The Clubhouse
Since I know there are wood finishing experts in the house, I figured I'd ask here.

We have "bespoke" kitchen cabinets that are finished with lacquer. The finish is satiny.
After four-ish years, some of them are looking a little grubby around the drawer pulls and cabinet door knobs (if you can imagine such a thing).

I am always leery of damaging lacquer finishes -- but they need some cleaning (besides just a damp cloth). Can any of you nice folks suggest good cleaning media and techniques for cleaning lacquer finished kitchen cabinets?

Thanks!!!

mrh

PS this is the stuff used to finish the cabinets (to the best of my knowledge). I asked the builders for some touch-up paint; they sent us a gallon :/

hcnxls2idima.jpg

(EDIT: OK, ok... 3.66 quarts...)

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Pre-cat is pretty durable stuff. You can clean the grease and grime with Windex or Fantastic.

BTW, if you ever need to use any of that can for touch up be aware it needs to be shaken and also be aware you should wear a respirator outfitted for formaldehyde.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    I was - ahem - thinking of you when I posted this :)

Thanks for the all of info. In my (semi-erstwhile) line of work, I am very familiar with formaldehyde :) so I'll take proper precautions when I do touch-up.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Shouldn't that be sprayed on for best results?
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    of course (i.e., that's how the cabinets were finished initially); but for touch-up (as in nicks and scratches) , the kitchen designer recommended a foam "brush". This being said, I don't know if the solvent in the lacquer would dissolve most soft, porous foams...
  • F1nut
    Malbec wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be sprayed on for best results?

Definitely.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Yep2 wrote: »
    These work good.
    Let dry 24hrs.
    Then degrease with laquer thinner (soft rag).
    Then your finish of choice.
    hrxzznva5ejc.jpg

He doesn't want to refinish, just clean the grease and grime from perfectly good finished cabinets.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    of course (i.e., that's how the cabinets were finished initially); but for touch-up (as in nicks and scratches) , the kitchen designer recommended a foam "brush". This being said, I don't know if the solvent in the lacquer would dissolve most soft, porous foams...

It'll ruin a foam brush very quickly. For touching up a scratch just use a fine tipped artist brush.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    OK, I have a smattering of those (artist's type brushes in 'camel hair' and red sable) from my model-building days.
  • F1nut
    Perfect

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Cool. Thanks very much for your advice!
    I am ever leery of lacquer (I was pullin' for stained cabinets, but I was outvoted... by Mrs. H) :/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    To add what's been said, it's better to use 409/Fantastic regularly. the buildup of oil from fingers can eventually eat through lacquer, varnish/urethane etc.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    ^ True ^

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    eww -- now youse guyses tell me :(

Sort of like jelly worms in tackle boxes.

I've kind of kept up after it, but there's opportunity for improvement, let's put it that way :neutral: