Vinyl Death Grip!!!

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Some will be tomorrow, some Tuesday...
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    According to the UPS site, the initial delivery date was rescheduled (mostly due to Nate among other logistical issues).

Sorry Larry, I'm just like a kid at Christmas right now (impatient as he!¡) ;)
  • Toolfan66
    kharp1 wrote: »
    k520qs7na2n1.jpg

Mine arrived. I was picturing something a little different. :)

Now I've got to finish getting the table set up!

Kerry,

Did you get it loosened up?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited October 2017
    No, I put it in the freezer for a few minutes but still no luck. Thought about having one of the Toolmakers here at work take a look at it, but, I'd rather you check it out, No big deal, I still don't have my table fully functional yet, plus, I'm still waiting on the Vista phono pre to arrive so in no huge hurry. I just wanted to make sure I got one of the limited edition piece before they were gone.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Put the top section upside down in a vice with a folded towel acting as padding. Tighten the jaws until it is secure. Get a good grip on the bottom section and twist. IIRC, the threads are left handed, but double check with Larry about that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've got the rubber grips for the vice and a strap wrench, thought about trying that, but, didn't want to take a chance on messing it up.
  • F1nut
    I wouldn't use the strap wrench, just your hands. I had to unlock mine recently and did it the why I described. I'd check the thread direction for you, but it's not here right now, so be sure to check with Larry about that first.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    If it is locked in the open position (slides over the TT shaft) it will need to turn clock wise..
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Mine was waiting for me when I got home last night. Sweeeeeeet!
  • FestYboy
    Woot!! It arrived :D
    jls70f4ehlxi.jpg
    va9wx5l2zwb3.jpg
    Not sure what the 3 spacers are for though...

One minor blemish, and the action is silky smooth. A top notch piece for sure. In my mind, it looks heavier than it is (not a complaint, just a surprising observation). I can't wait to get it on a real table (once I can afford it).
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Mine arrived today also. Beautiful work! The turning action is smooth and strong.

The spacers are placed underside of the record to help the clamp force downward on slightly warped or warped records. The three spacer thicknesses are intended to provide flexibility for different platter mats and assure the desired clamping force. The right size of spacer will become evident to the user after some regular usage.
    Carl

• FestYboy
    Thank you @schwarcw, that makes sense now.
  • F1nut
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    0t3f13fuv5sp.jpeg

Larry, there's a leafy thing about to devour your TT.

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    F1nut wrote: »
    Larry, there's a leafy thing about to devour your TT.
    The nine inch nails that were holding up the planter are Broken, causing the plant to take a Downward Spiral Into the Void Closer towards the turntable. Luckily it doesn't look like it was HURT....head like a whole bunch of marching pigs on Cielo Drive.

• Toolfan66
    LOL, that's my sons TT he got his clamp yesterday..
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2017
    Mine arrived in fine shape yesterday. Thanks!

l1acd0g9txnh.jpeg
  • BlueMDPicker
    I gave the new, VDG clamp a go on my Music Hall table (with threaded spindle) this morning.

I had never tried "The Clamp" due to the very short, un-threaded portion of the spindle (approx 5/16") remaining with the medium thickness spacer. The VDG grabbed it and held it fine with small and medium thickness spacers. With the thickest spacer, it looked like the collet would be on threads only so I didn't cinch it. This would most likely be the case with 180-200 gram vinyl or tables equipped with after market mats as well. Not that I think the brass collet would damage the spindle threads, but the opposite.

However, the screw-on Music Hall clamp worked well with the thickest spacer--flattening a seriously warped LP nicely. This led me to think that just a set of the spacers may be a marketable improvement for tables like the Music Hall, Larry.
  • Toolfan66
    So it does look like these can lock up even with them being greased just like Joe's clamp did or does, so please be careful in opening these to a tight position..

Brian locked his up yesterday...
  • FestYboy
    I wonder if a dry graphite lube on the brass would work a bit better?
  • BlueMDPicker
    So it does look like these can lock up even with them being greased just like Joe's clamp did or does, so please be careful in opening these to a tight position..

Friction lock or run past the end of a thread lock?

In comparing against Joe's clamp, my observation has been Joe's has more "give" as it clamps tight. Yours is a more abrupt stop.
  • F1nut
    Joe's "Clamp" is prone to locking up as well. He knew it, but had no answer to remedy the issue.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    F1nut wrote: »
    Joe's "Clamp" is prone to locking up as well. He knew it, but had no answer to remedy the issue.

I wish I had known that before hand, maybe we could have come up with something while we were building them..
  • BlueMDPicker
    Guess I've lead a charmed existence with Joe's clamp. Hundreds of LP's played with it and never anything approaching a lock up.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I like the sound of powdered graphite to lube the threads. It might stop the abrupt stop action I read about above.

I've used it on a lot of door locks and even a car door lock. It made the key to lock action sooooo smooth. I only had to do it once to each lock over the years to. It seems to last forever.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

I'll definitely try to be careful to not unscrew it all the way.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.