Audio Technica Lp-120 Lube

Options
Has anyone ever tried lubricating the spindle bearing on one of these? After two years I'm sure it needs it.
I just can't find anywhere on the interweb that explains how...
The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors

Comments

• motorhead43026
    Options
    I doubt it needs lubed, ever. Is there any mention of it in the owners manual?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    Yea there's no mention of it.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I've never used any on my 120 which i've had for 5 years.
    Play the gamble!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What? AT? Heeeeey... waaaaaaait a minute... I thought you were running a Technics! Tricked me good.

Maybe head over to KAB to see how it's done on the 1200? IIRC, on Technics models it's as simple as pulling the platter off, and adding a drop or two to the spindle, or through some holes? Can't remember correctly, apparently.

Have you had a look under the platter yet?

Don't forget to add a couple of drops to the Stylus. Helps keep it cool through more complex record passages.

for people stumbling in, don't really do that last part
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I know my vintage Technics you lube it when new, then every 2000 hrs of playing. That would be like every 20 years....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    indeed -- most "modern" (1970 and beyond) consumer/massmarket tts don't require much attention vis-a-vis bearing lubrication AFAIK.

Is it doing something wrong?
  • msg
    Options
    Probably nothing more cowbell won't fix.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    This weekend I need to open it up again and figure out a ground looping problem. I figured since I'm in there might as well lube her up.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    ^^^^In my best Beavis ---ha ha haha haha he said...... B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    What? AT? Heeeeey... waaaaaaait a minute... I thought you were running a Technics! Tricked me good.

Maybe head over to KAB to see how it's done on the 1200? IIRC, on Technics models it's as simple as pulling the platter off, and adding a drop or two to the spindle, or through some holes? Can't remember correctly, apparently.

Have you had a look under the platter yet?

Don't forget to add a couple of drops to the Stylus. Helps keep it cool through more complex record passages.

for people stumbling in, don't really do that last part

Now that I'm home, it sure seems like it'll be easy to get to. Looks like there's a secondary platter.
    I bought some tt lubricant on the Amazon a week ago so I'm definitely going to do everything I can to try.
    7py1vkbcz8kz.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    -- are those DIP switches I espy there at about 8 o'clock (with respect to the spindle)? what do those do? :/
  • msg
    Options
    Maybe a Voltz-tage selector?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    -- are those DIP switches I espy there at about 8 o'clock (with respect to the spindle)? what do those do? :/

not dip switches some kinda # stamptzr43fcj4rob.jpg
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Maybe a Voltz-tage selector?

Yes probably
    stand corrected

• mhardy6647
    Options
  • msg
    Options
    Interesting, Brian - so a cover beneath the platter? Like Craig said, looks like 2k hours on the Technics tables anyway. Maybe if there's no spec on it for your table it's supposed to be maintenance free?

gcoufrby3njy.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    Yea that's the voltage selector
    There's no mention of lubricating any where in the manual. I'm still going to open it up to look.
    If I see a bearing I'll hit it. If not we'll...
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Dip the whole tt in a bath of 10W-30 and leave it submerged for 1/2 hour. Remove it and allow to drip dry. That'll get all accessible bearings nice and juicy.

Alternatively, maybe fit a Zerk to the bearing; make it easier next time.

;)
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    Go all the way and install a jewel bearing.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    That's unfortunate...nothing to lube. All permanently sealed.

nq10rmdgo72j.jpg
  • msg
    Options
    LOL wtf Brian!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    He REALLY wants to lube something! Lol
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I say drill a few holes and fill 'er up.
    And then post up on AK, SteveHoffman, and VinylEngine about how important it is for all owners to do this mod.

I also like how Brian's got the soldering station and the Cardas ready to go.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    Well I'm still working on the ground looping issue. I figured I'd take a second look at the phonoectomy (that's a real word I just made up) I did awhile back. Everything looks ok as far as the tt goes.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    There sure is alot of stuff in that TT
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Options
    ahh, I didn't realize you were having a grounding issue.
    Nice soldering station, btw. I have the same one on recommendation of senior member, and it really makes soldering a lot easier. Before, I might as well have been using a curling iron and a bar of chocolate.

The Phonoectomy - did you simplify the output path, removing the onboard phono pre and going straight to the RCA terminals?
    I disabled signatures.
  • stainless0steel2
    Options
    Weller is the only way to go. I love this thing!

Yea I tore out the phono preamp and installed two female rca jacks and a terminal for the ground. Before it was all hardwired to the motherboard. It wasn't a night and day difference. But it was definitely worth it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I say drill a few holes and fill 'er up.
    And then post up on AK, SteveHoffman, and VinylEngine about how important it is for all owners to do this mod.

I also like how Brian's got the soldering station and the Cardas ready to go.

Yup.

No such thing as "permanently sealed"; those words merely represent a challenge.

;)
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    LOL doc

Please don't encourage sledge and pry bar

• mhardy6647
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    LOL doc

Please don't encourage sledge and pry bar

smys9x86toir.png