Pete Townsend Scoop CDs

BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,329
These are supposed to be demos of his songs before they made it onto an album. Anyone heard these? Are they worth buying, or just an attempt to make a few more dollars.

61bj4AXzFEL.jpg
Bud

Lumin S1
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,045
    edited August 19
    If you like (I mean, really like) Pete Townshend's music, they're indispensable... especially the original one.
    On the other hand, tonnes of his demos are available on teh webs without looking very hard.

Townshend was (and presumably still is) a very talented and savvy recordist as well as... well, that other stuff he's done.

l6nyn0pdv1b7.png
    cqjk454eolhn.png
    i29s6lkjvakp.png
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    edited August 19
    Can't add much. Where are mine?
    Maybe they aren't indispensable!
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
    edited August 19
    I'd like to have those two ReVox G36s :) (or that big (EDIT) four-track 3M, for that matter)...

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• voltzvoltz Posts: 4,675
    Acoustic sounds has been release new remastered Vinyl of Pete's stuff...already bought several cause I can't stop myself!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/1787/Pete_Townshend
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,795
    I had an album many eons ago had rough boys on it...empty glass maybe? It was alright.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,863
    Bud...when Motley Crue re-mastered their first albums...the ones that mattered they put rough demos and instrumentals as bonus tracks. Oddly I prefer certain demo instrumentals to the actual released songs, just nicer in my opinion.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    edited August 19
    Here -- try before you buy (sort of)...
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pete+townshend+demos

I remember the Stereo Review review of the first Scoop album, way back when. Their synopsis of the "performance": "Genius at Play". That's actually a gross understatement, but it gives a flavor of the... charm (for the lack of a better word) of many of his demos.

The flavor of Big T's demos is probably best captured on his (in my opinion, at any rate) wonderful first "solo" (sort of) album, Who Came First. There was a Rhino remastered release some years back (on CD) with extra tracks, including his original demo version of The Seeker, If you've not heard it, seek it out.

Townshend's album, Rough Mix, with the late Ronnie Lane (and some other luminaries) is likewise superb (better, it could fairly be argued, than Who Came First), with a heapin' helpin' of the same ramshackle charm. Again, seek it out if you've not heard it.

If anyone's "appreciation" of Townshend starts and stops at Who's Next or Tommy... you ain't heard nothin' yet.

2uhj69dpvl1a.png

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,329
    HDTRACKS now has downloads for these, and I like a lot of the songs that made it to the albums. Are these demos the band playing the songs, or just him solo?
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,178
    edited August 19
    Always a fan, and a bigger fan of one of best bands in RR history.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,595
    I have the original Scoop LP and Scooped 2 CD set and really enjoy them. But I tend to like more raw and early recordings of artists. That said, these Pete Townshend recordings are definite keepers.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer: CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, Polk: RM7, Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii

or, as in the original...

This is a valuable Pete Townshend recording...

:)

• voltzvoltz Posts: 4,675
    edited September 21
    Watch the classic Albums: The Who "Who's Next" and get a cool look at Pete's thinking and what he goes thru writing songs!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD