Endoscopy/Colonoscopy...

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
edited August 2017 in The Clubhouse
So I went to the doctor a few weeks ago after feeling a little faint at work, and coworkers were telling me I looked very pale the next day, I started wondering if I was on the verge of being diabetic so I made an appointment to see my doctor...

I have been getting a physical every year like clockwork since I turned forty, so I just had one last November came back clean as a whistle..

Well he took blood, and found my red blood cell count was low, and wanted to find out why of course, so he had me go in for an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy...
He did a stool test to see if I had blood in it, and that came back negative, so he really was thinking I had ulcers that may have come on from the stress of the last few months, and felt I had no worries about colon cancer..

Well I went to my procedure this morning, and my colonoscopy came back with flying colors, not one polyp :smiley:

My endoscopy though came back that I have reflux disease, I have like an acid burn, but on a good note that can be taken care of with meds, and heal its self but will take time.
It didn't surprise me as I was having bad reflux problems at night a year or so ago, but it tapered off so I never thought much about it..

I was very happy about my colonoscopy though, I don't know anyone that's had it done and not have a polyp..

Between my wife's breast scare, Courtney's transplant, and this all happening the last few months hopefully things can stay quite around our house for a while...

Comments

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Glad everything is manageable. I had my first colonoscopy last year at 54 and it also came back clean. I hope everything settles down for you and your family.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,459
    Options
    Ah, good news Larry!

Man, at first glance of the subject line, I thought, ah jeez, here we go with another wild Friday night party invite!
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Great news Larry!!!! Glad you're all doing better. I had a nuclear stress test done yesterday all was great. My last one was six years ago so I was past due. Next one in three years. Lose weight, exercise and lay off the sweets were the doc's words. No heart problems but family history of it and I'm over 60.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Atta boy Larry! Big 5-0 for me....it is on the schedule given Dad had colon cancer...a little prevention goes a long way.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    My endoscopy though came back that I have reflux disease,
    Glad to hear you are otherwise "clean." Look into taking Braggs apple cider vinegar before you go on the PPIs. Amazing stuff.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Good to hear no major issues - take care of that so it doesn't turn into something bad.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on your clean colon Larry!

Polyps/colon cancer appears to be hereditary.

It is what took our dad at 58 and mom had to have a section of her colon removed due to colon cancer at age 79.

Mark had his first colonoscopy in his 40s, at the urging of his MD due to this fact, and his very first procedure the doctor found a very large polyp. If he had waited until he was 50 he would probably already be dead.

Fast forward to July 24 2017 at age 53, Mark had successful surgery to remove a portion of his colon for a polyp that was too large to remove via colonoscopy. (He had multiple polyps) The biopsy came back as being precancerous! But they got all of it so no chemo or any further treatment is needed.

He is home resting comfortably for 6 weeks and is recovery nicely.

Needless to say that his days of waiting 5 years for another colonoscopy are over, but it is FAR better than the alternative.

Mark and I both feel that he dodged a major bullet in getting tested earlier than 50.

We both feel that maybe our dad would have had a longer life span if only the technology/knowledge was in place back in the mid 70s when dad first showed signs of colon cancer. They went in looking for it around 75 but couldn't find it. By the time they did in 79 it was too late and had spread to his liver. :-(

So guys, if a member of your family has been diagnosed/died of colon cancer, do yourselves a favor and get a colonoscopy way before the recommended age of 50!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Larry!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Great to hear Larry. You have had a full plate man so kick back try to relax a bit.
    Take up needle point :p
    Kidding brah but humor helps sometimes you just have to get a good laugh on.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Great to hear Larry. You've been through h**l and back.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Good to hear Larry. At 33 I've probably had close to 25 of them and am on a every other years schedule due to my medical conditions and higher risk of colon cancer.

Never fun to do, but always good to get a clean bill of health (or in my case a cleaner than last time bill :wink: )
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your "scare," Larry, but it is good news to hear that your problem appears to be manageable and curable.

Onward and upward, but also kick back and enjoy life!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Glad all is well. I'm in the same boat with GERD. The first time I got scoped (insurance sucked at the time), they gave me fentanyl (causes short term amnesia). Afterwards, I called my wife and asked her, I'm in the kitchen making a sandwich. How the h*** did I get here? I'll pass on that s***.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Congratulations on your sparkling bowels. I had one of those done and it came back negative. Yes, I have no brain.
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow Cathy, you guys have been through a lot, glad you guys are headed in the right direction... Mark definitely dodged a bullet...

You guys listen to what Cathy said, it's not that bad, the prep before going in is the worst part of it, but a small inconvenience for the sake of your health...
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Glad to hear that your problems are relatively easy to treat.

As far as colonoscopies go, I had my first one 30 years ago at age 35 and they removed a polyp. I went back in 6mos. and was clean. Then back again in 3 years and had 4 removed. Now I go about every 5 years and they always remove some precancerous polyps.

I am lucky that the first time, I had diverticulitis which prompted me to go get checked and that's when they found the polyp. Without that, I might have waited too long.
  • Stew
    Options
    Wow Cathy, you guys have been through a lot, glad you guys are headed in the right direction... Mark definitely dodged a bullet...

You guys listen to what Cathy said, it's not that bad, the prep before going in is the worst part of it, but a small inconvenience for the sake of your health...

Agreed. Just say no to the fentanyl. It's been easy every time after the first.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    Options

Agree! It's the prep that's the worse. That drink is nasty and when it starts to do it's thing, well..... Anyway, good to hear you got a clean bill of health, bro.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    My wife had her 1st scope 30 years ago due to family history. As un-fun as the prep may be today she says it's far easier than when she had her 1st prep. My first scope prep actually took care of some gas I was having at the time just about every time I ate something...strange.
    It's not that big a deal so if you are 50+ or have the history...get it done!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Good to hear Larry. At 33 I've probably had close to 25 of them and am on a every other years schedule due to my medical conditions and higher risk of colon cancer.

Never fun to do, but always good to get a clean bill of health (or in my case a cleaner than last time bill :wink: )

Wat? Youve had 25 Colon checks?
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »

Probably close to that counting upper and lowers......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    Options

Yikes! You must be dealing with a chronic issue, and for that I am sorry.
  • lightman1
    Options

Keep the dairy products away from him......
    Dude could peel wallpaper if he took a notion to.
  • deronb1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Noted!
  • EndersShadow
    Options

Correct :smile:. No biggie, living with not dying from. So I can't complain.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options

His poor wife .....
  • Stew
    Options
    I guess it was the Versed that caused amnesia. Really strange not remembering how I got home. Anyway, since changing meds, it's not that big of a deal. Like everyone said, the prep is the worst part but worth it.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    I was eating breakfast within an hour after the procedure..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Hmmm, between Dan and your radioactive pee, you 2 are a force to reckon with. How about you 2 take a vacation, maybe North Korea, straighten that mess out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Hmmm, between Dan and your radioactive pee, you 2 are a force to reckon with. How about you 2 take a vacation, maybe North Korea, straighten that mess out.

Done! But we'll need you for your "disposal" skill set. ;)