8/21/2017 The Day to Watch!

Options
The Great American Solar Eclipse that is! Who is geared up for this Great Rare event?

I have shade # 13 lens attached to my welding helmet (yes, I can weld too) and have another one ready for the wife. We are not leaving town to watch. Just watching it from the sunny desert sky in SoCAL. It says we will see 64% blocking from our location. Not totality elipse but I guess I won't be driving 800 miles to Oregon in the crazy traffic either.

Post pictures if you have the solar eclipse ready camera on that day and catch a glimpse of the Sun.

A word of advise is that never ever watch the Sun or Eclipse wearing anything less than shade # 13 lens. Your RayBan won't do any good either so don't even try unless you have a pension for early blindness.

Enjoy watching and Don't Get Burned (eyes or anywhere else)!
Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:

Comments

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm in the total eclipse path and I've heard it said that it will also damage your phone's camera lens and to not point it at the sun either. I'm not in a position to judge the truthfulness of this, just heard it said and it does sound like it makes sense.

There is many, many events planned, lots of folks taking days off and nutty traffic is anticipated all day.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Its crazy here in WA. I5 south to Oregon is bumper to bumper 3 days prior. We're supposed to be at 95%. I'm good with that. Bloody Marys seem to be in order Monday morning ...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Got a 9-13 shade on my automatic helmet...will look silly while I am standing in my front yard looking south but the last full eclipse we had here happened while I was in elementary school so I am looking forward to it.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Near Charlotte, we are supposed to get 98% totality. Still doesn't interest me at all. Just don't get the hype.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Near Charlotte, we are supposed to get 98% totality. Still doesn't interest me at all. Just don't get the hype.

Agreed. It's not like we don't know what's happening. I feel no need to build a pyramid, and sacrifice goats or something.
    If it's your field of study, it's the holy grail, but otherwise, what's all the fuss?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    I'll prolly be the only fool wearing a welding helmet on the street downtown Monday afternoon. Maybe I could even charge $5/min for other to view?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am burned out on the eclipse hype -- and I love stuff like eclipses.
    You'd think this is the First. Eclipse. Ever. (based on the media coverage)
    NPR is going to have live reports Monday afternoon. What the heck are they gonna say?
    Well, it's getting kind of dark, Robin!
    Steve, people are all looking at it. They seem pretty impressed.

Monday forecast here is good. We get only 70-ish percent coverage, but I'll be out with a scope and/or pinhole -- projectin' onto a card. Crude but effective.

I'll resist the temptation to immolate any ants, too, you know?

We have a total one comin' just a wee ways north of here in April 2024. I think I'll be lookin' forward to that one, inshallah.

:)
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Still doesn't interest me at all. Just don't get the hype.

I'm with you on that.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    People are paying stupid amounts for rooms in places that get totality. It would be funny if it's overcast after paying $900 a night for a room. Not "ha ha" funny, of course.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    You folks living in the belt of total eclipse or even 90% eclipse are just lucky not having to drive around hundreds of miles or catch a plane to have a glimpse of what's all this natural phenomenal is about. I've seen a total eclipse once in life before so the hypes are not bothering me and don't need to see another totality before hitting the bucket. I think the hype is mainly for the young folks trying to catch a glimpse of the real life event because it's pretty cool to see it in action with one's own eyes.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Been there done that, next event at 4:20.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Well, it's over and DONE! Spend a few minutes catching the glimpse of the moon blocking the partial Sun. Glad that I didn't have to drive.

I feel for you guys living in the belt of the Eclipse because now the nightmare of the reverse traffic begins! Drive safe and have plenty of patience driving for the next few days!
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I ended up going outside when we were at our maximum coverage (97/98%), which was a little more exciting that I had expected. Of course, I didn't expect anything, so........