Such a Joy

Hello there :)

This week has been such a joy so far. Mother in-law moved out, yes OUT last weekend :):):)
I have been coming home from work and just plopping on the couch and cranking up my favorite CD all week. No more worries about her complaining to the wife about my music or telling my wife I changed anything. To help celebrate her moving out I just ordered an Emotiva BasX A300 to drive my S60. I know Emo is not the best out there but it is what I can afford. I will look for a bigger better amp when I have more money.

To top it all off my wife even said she was happy her mom moved out. I don't feel one bit of bad for my sister in-law to where MiL moved to. Mil always bounces between her kids houses she stayed with us this time for 7 months, @ 88 I don't think she will make the rounds back to us. By the way she complained about my loud music I don't think she wants to come back.

Cheers
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mrloren wrote: »
    @ 88 I don't think she will make the rounds back to us.

That's cold blooded man :D:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I was blessed with two Mother in Laws, a good one and a evil one. Guess which one lived 15 minutes from us?. I feel your pain, and relief. Congratulations!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • I strongly considered buying that Emotiva with the pt100 pre before deciding on the Yamaha AS801 integrated. Please let me know how you like it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

7 other kids to go live with before it's our turn again. I was amazed she made it 7 months with us this time, last time about 11 yeas ago she only made it 3 months before she moved out.

Now I get to enjoy my main HT how it should be enjoyed
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

7 other kids to go live with before it's our turn again. I was amazed she made it 7 months with us this time, last time about 11 yeas ago she only made it 3 months before she moved out.

Now I get to enjoy my main HT how it should be enjoyed

I wouldn't be holding my breath man...They tend to hang around like a bad cold!..LOL!..
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    The biggest reason for celebration is her moving out.
    Congrats on all fronts. Sit back tonight and enjoy.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Am I reading this correctly........You caused an 88 year old woman to move out of your home because of loud music??? I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that one except to say that is something I would not be proud of. Enjoy your tunes
  • Don't be to quick to judge folks. I'm sure there is much more to the story here. Seven months is a long time to share your home, and the details is none of our business. I'm happy for you.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    This thread cracks me up....I'm just gonna keep thoughts to myself, because my thoughts may bite meintheass
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    This thread cracks me up....I'm just gonna keep thoughts to myself, because my thoughts may bite meintheass

88yo roommate. You must be a saint in disguise to have to live in those conditions.

If my mother-in-law were 88 and living with me, i'd be greasing the handrail and loosening the top step. Sheetrock repair bucket ready at a moments notice!

You going to turn her room into a pool hall or extend the master closet?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Yep, saw Moto's comment, had to bite my tongue.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrloren
    edited August 2017
    Am I reading this correctly........You caused an 88 year old woman to move out of your home because of loud music??? I'll keep my thoughts to myself on that one except to say that is something I would not be proud of. Enjoy your tunes

Oh no nothing like that, If she asked me to turn it down, I did. If I knew she was sleeping I would not turn on the main HT but rather be stuck in my bedroom HT. I am not a rude person and do have respect for my elders. All she did was complain about my "loud music" then again she complained about everything. She had been saying she want to go to my sister in-laws for sometime, she got around to asking us to move her over. big problem was my sister in-law was fighting the move but hey it's her turn now. Once we got the green light my wife was moving her out quicker than I ever thought she could move. One reason she stayed so long this time was I think she enjoyed my HT. I know she watched about 1/2 of my DVD/BD collection.

My MiL is a mean grumpy drama filled old lady who likes to fight about everything, hence why she bounces around all of her kids homes. So now she needs to bounce between 7 other homes before it's out turn again.
    mrbiron wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

88yo roommate. You must be a saint in disguise to have to live in those conditions.

If my mother-in-law were 88 and living with me, i'd be greasing the handrail and loosening the top step. Sheetrock repair bucket ready at a moments notice!

You going to turn her room into a pool hall or extend the master closet?

Need to paint and air the room out. steam clean will be this weekend.
  • Does the room smell like old people? Funny, I am starting take on that aroma myself....lol
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    When my evil In-laws used to stop over on the weekends, I'd make it a point to spray the exterior of the house/foundation with Diazinon. The poor dears didn't like the smell for some reason.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited August 2017
    HA!
    My family would bath in Diazinon if they were guaranteed not to die.
    I pretty sure that stuff is hard to come by these days... ;)

My grandfather must still have surplus as he uses it for mice and ants.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2017
    "cranking up my favorite CD all week"

I think you should invest in some more music. One CD, all week long?

:p:p

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    mrbiron wrote: »
    HA!
    My family would bath in Diazinon if they were guaranteed not to die.
    I pretty sure that stuff is hard to come by these days... ;)

My grandfather must still have surplus as he uses it for mice and ants.

When I lived around the Alvin Texas area..that stuff would be the only thing to use for fire ants....those things hurt...
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    depends

As in "depends on whether she bathes" or:
    fvuo92nwnsw1.jpg
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • mrloren
    edited August 2017
    Derf wrote: »
    depends

As in "depends on whether she bathes" or:
    fvuo92nwnsw1.jpg

@88 MiL is still sharp in the mind, but talk about someone who could not trust their gas release. Yes where she WAS staying is getting another full steam cleaning tomorrow.

billbillw wrote: »
    "cranking up my favorite CD all week"

I think you should invest in some more music. One CD, all week long?

:p:p

Typo, have over 1000 CD's everyday it's been a different one. Today I think some Rush 2112.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,476
    And the meek shall inherit the earth
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ....we have assumed control.....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2017
    OK I'll air out a little laundry here

I haven't seen my mother in law in 8 years, since we moved into this home

My wife won't tell her momma where she lives....and we're 30 miles down the road from her

....There's your sign

PS: and I'm not the boss ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    Sister in law is complaining on how her mom is driving her crazy. All ready rearranged the kitchen... come on it not even a week yet. top it off she last housed her mom 6 years ago... her turn now.

oh when we moved MiL over sister in-law was asking why the depend's she said she now knows why. I was nice and gave her all the air fresheners we had.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    All of you should sit her down and tell her it is time to go to senior citizen housing. She has NO right to impose herself on any of you for months at a time, and arrive thinking she can arrange things to how she wants them.

She is taking abusive advantage of your good natures.

Yes you have a responsibility to ensure your parents are helped when they get older, but that doesn't mean they have the right to impose themselves physically and financially on you.

If they were/are perfectly capable of living their own lives before they decided to just dump themselves on you, then they are STILL capable of doing so.

Unless doctors have told you that she it is no longer safe for her to be on her own, then she should be. And if it isn't safe, then she belongs in a nursing home.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I went through the same senerio with my Father-n-law. Would come home from work and the Kitchen sink faucet would be running wide open, yet FIL was asleep in my easy chair.

Or, worse yet, one of the burners would be left on the Gas Cooktop from where he fixed himself Breakfast 8-10 hours previously. It became my biggest fear that I would come home to a burnout shell of our home one day.

Even though my wife has five other siblings (all brothers) and they were all told that it was "Their" turn, he didn't want to leave because his daughter could cook "just like mom".

It's a tough spot to be in, my FIL has since passed and I have more good memories than bad, but at the time it was trying.

Enjoy your newfound freedom, you've earned it!
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2017
    cfrizz wrote: »
    All of you should sit her down and tell her it is time to go to senior citizen housing. She has NO right to impose herself on any of you for months at a time, and arrive thinking she can arrange things to how she wants them.

She is taking abusive advantage of your good natures.

Yes you have a responsibility to ensure your parents are helped when they get older, but that doesn't mean they have the right to impose themselves physically and financially on you.

If they were/are perfectly capable of living their own lives before they decided to just dump themselves on you, then they are STILL capable of doing so.

Unless doctors have told you that she it is no longer safe for her to be on her own, then she should be. And if it isn't safe, then she belongs in a nursing home.

Cannot dispute this Cathy. My grandma came back and moved in with mom and dad when she could no longer live on her own in Arkansas.
    She stated she wanted to live here long enough to not impose and when she felt she was she would be off the nursing home. After several years she kept her word. She never once tried to impose any of her rules or rearranging. She always told me this was just a stop till the death watch as she called it. She was a nurse all her life she hated those homes but knew it was a necessity in life. She spent 4 years there. Even though she had dementia on many things but never forgot mom or I.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    As usual, @cfrizz has it right.

Not to be unfeeling about the elderly, because I'm getting there myself, but my paternal grandmother made the rounds among the homes of seven of her eight children, and she was scarcely welcome for more than a week or so at any of them. However, she typically remained for three months or so.

She was difficult, to say the least. It was so bad that my father's eldest brother an his wife, who lived about four blocks from us in the same town, always made excuses about reasons that they just had to leave grandma at our house for many of the days when she was supposed to be staying with them.

Among her more endearing qualities, Grandma had a propensity "to needle" me. One summer day it got so bad that I ran away from home because I could no longer take it. At the time I was around nine or 10.

Of course, I lived in a small town where everybody knew everybody else. As I made my way down the RR tracks out of town, my mother got regular reports from her friends about where I was.

Nevertheless, my mom gave my grandmother the full treatment. She made Grandma believe that I was lost forever, suffering miserably under my grandmother's constant teasing and pestering, and likely never to be seen alive again.

One of my mother's good friends, who lived on the edge of town, eventually took me in, fed me dinner, and brought me home pretty late in the evening.

All this had the intended effect on my grandmother. The needling stopped, and she never returned to our house. I guess it was just too difficult for her to abide a grandson in whom she could find nothing positive on which to comment, and yet could not open her mouth to criticize as she saw fit.

Let's face it; some elderly people, no matter how closely related to us, can be utterly and completely obnoxious. I for one, believe we have an obligation to make sure they are well cared for, but we are not obliged to sacrifice for this purpose our happiness, independence and family life.

Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• pitdogg2
    As usual, @cfrizz has it right.

Let's face it; some elderly people, no matter how closely related to us, can be utterly and completely obnoxious. I for one, believe we have an obligation to make sure they are well cared for, but we are not obliged to sacrifice for this purpose our happiness, independence and family life.

Well said
  • mrloren
    My wife is Filipino, kids try to care for their parents as long as they can. Does MiL need to be in one, yes. So for now she will still make the family circuit till it does get way too bad.

in the 7 months she was with us she did try to rearrange things and impose her will. My wife, son and I all told her NO and to stop it. She did the kitchen again so I took the power cords from the TV's and told her if she wants TV she will leave our house as is. I know I am just mean but everything stayed the same.

I could go on about her nasty habits but she is now with my sister in-law. I did warn them about some of the BAD habits.

It took 11 years for MiL to make the circuit back to our house. Will she ever make it back, @ 88 I doubt it.

So I was able to have a Loren Saturday with a lot of Scorpions and Zeppelin.

Now movie time.

Cheers