Optical Output Not Waking Up After Sleep

Options
I'm having an issue with the optical input of my SurroundBar 4000. The sound works great but the audio often doesn't resume after the auto-sleep function kicks in.

When this occurs, the green power light comes on but no sound comes out. The only thing that seems to resolve the issue is to pull the power on sound bar and plug it back in.

I'm not sure whether the issue is with the soundbar or the TV. I have a Samsung 7000 series smart TV.

If anyone else has experienced this issue or has any ideas of troubleshooting steps I can try, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The only way to check out the bar would be to substitute another audio source, maybe the toslink output of a DVD player or cable/satellite control box?
    If the Polk has a problem contact them at: 1-800-377-7655 option 1.
    Regards, Ken
  • wwwKris
    wwwKris Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Ken. I'll see if I can rustle up another source - I don't have anything else connected ATM (we stream everything) but might be able to find an old DVD player or something.

I notice that you have a lot of posts on the forum. Have you heard of anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Thanks,
    Kris
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're welcome, Kris. I believe there have been a few soundbar owners with a similar problem. So you're not alone.
  • wwwKris
    Options
    Darn, I was afraid of that. Do you recall if there were any workarounds in those cases? If you do recall any of the details, I'll try those in addition to the alternate audio source.

I've had my soundbar for years so it's well out of any warranty period and calling Polk isn't an option for me I'm guessing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Usually the strength of the incoming signal is a determining factor in these kinds of problems. The auto on/off feature has a level threshold and the incoming signal strength needs to be in excess of this.
  • wwwKris
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies Ken. I don't think the incoming signal strength is the issue in my case.

It doesn't seem to matter what the volume is at when the soundbar won't wake up. Even if I turn the volume up, it still won't wake up. I even tried switching between the TV's internal speaker (which plays the sound fine when I do that) and the soundbar with no effect.

Interestingly, the RCA connectors don't seem to suffer from the same problem, only the optical connector.