WTB: DNA-225

I have the itch to give one of these amps a try. Not 100% set on a 225, but I think it's where I would like to start. Also with the higher input impedeance it should mate well with the VTL 2.5.

Comments

• Yep2Yep2 Posts: 778
    edited August 17
    Need to list associated equipment you will be running with it...
    Should be nice with the VTL.

Ive had a couple of them.
    Source components (digital/analog?) impacted my love for them.
  • sgmsmgsgmsmg Posts: 213
    Not sure if you saw this one:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mccormack-dna-225-2017-08-07-amplifiers

I have no affiliation or have any idea if it is a good price.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Parasound JC2BP
    Amp:Parasound A21
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Ones
    Source: Oppo 103D, Mac Mini, Bryston BDA-3
    Cables: AQ Castlerock Speaker, AQ Columbia XLR/RCA, AQ Diamond USB
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Home Theater
    Reciever: Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Amp: Pioneer Elite SC-09TX
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (Fl, FR, RL, RR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB13 x 3
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Power: PS Audio P5 Regenerator, Furman IT Reference 15i, Pangea AC14SE and AC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR75X940D
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 464
    I recently acquired one, and it is my new favorite amp - hands down.

A worthy quest indeed. Good luck with the hunt!
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 838
    edited August 17
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Need to list associated equipment you will be running with it.

SA8004, BK ref50, BK 200.2. The VTL is a slight impedance mismatch, I think The DNA would mate well.

sgmsmg wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw this one:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-mccormack-dna-225-2017-08-07-amplifiers

I have no affiliation or have any idea if it is a good price.

I did, thanks for the link though...not sure of a good street price either.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,027
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    I have a bead on a DNA-1 and with this amp I would get the current gold revision performed with the upgraded transformer. Have been going back and forth over a DNA-225 and the DNA-1 for awhile, many topics debating these so not sure how a fresh Gold revision on a DNA-1 would compare to a stock 225.

2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    edited August 18
    la2vegas wrote: »

Very nice.

Actually just a bit south in San Diego.

Listed as non working, we negotiated a lower amount.

Rear speaker terminal was broken. He actually drove it to SMC Audio for me.....very cool guy.

This is actually a bridged mono version but Steve said can easily be converted to stereo.

kbgyw8qr6u4e.jpg

Nice score, let us know what you think about it once you get it serviced.

I will for sure.

I wasn't really looking for the DNA-1, but it all came together this afternoon rather abruptly.

After speaking with SMC it seems this amp when upgraded should work quite well. ....now the wait.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    gmcman wrote: »

I will for sure.

I wasn't really looking for the DNA-1, but it all came together this afternoon rather abruptly.

After speaking with SMC it seems this amp when upgraded should work quite well. ....now the wait.

LOL....work quite well ? You'll keep that sucker for another 10-15 years. Might need a little break in after the upgrades but should be rock solid if SMC is doing the work. Nice score.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Thanks Tony.
    There have been a few suggestions here about trying the McCormack amps, you were prob one of them. Going to work out the details next week with SMC and go from there.

I won't have anything to compare it to DNA-wise, but the total end-cost will be much less than anticipated. The hurdle was finding one cheap enough to modify, so this one at $250 was a no-brainer for me.

May go a little above their gold revision depending on cost, shipping costs back and forth play into this so may as well get as much done as I can the first time.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,829
    Sky's the limit do it ;)
    Everything is set in motion, hopefully in about a month or so, It will be on its way back. The donor amp was a little rough on the inside, some mild surface rust but the case will be blasted and powder coated first.

I'll follow up when I take delivery of it....gonna be a long month.... :)