Confused about RTI-A series speakers?

Options
I have a setup of CSI A6, RTI A5 and RTI A3's. I love the set but am having trouble with 2 certain speakers. My back left RTI A3 keeps having the Mid-Woofer blow and distort. I have replaced it twice and it keeps happening. Also, my CSI A6 keeps losing tweeter and mids. I have replaced all parts including crossover, tweeter and mid-woofers and the speaker keeps going bad. I do not play the system to excessive volume as I have a two family and tenants above me. I built my system for quality sound more so than loudness. I have the RTI A5's and RTI A3' powered off an Emotiva LPA-1 and the CSI A6 powered by an Emotiva XPA-100.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    You either have some settings out of whack or your amps are sending DC to those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I do have to agree that something sounds really amiss. Although some on here don't like the emotiva-rti combo, it should provide plenty of current and you should not be blowing speakers at moderate (or even pretty darn loud) volume.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough to be of much help. But more info about your setup might allow others (like @F1nut) to be of service...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Yes I agree sum ting wrong. Speakers should not be blowing like that. I would have the amps checked to make sure they are not passing extra voltage to the speakers. I would also make sure that the speaker cables are not getting chewed on or picking up AC current some place
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • incloud
    incloud Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks guys, the folks at Polk are insisting that I am overpowering the center speaker with 250 watts from the XPA-100 and the CSI A6 only rated to 200 watts. I'm not a stereophile by any means but I did a lot of research prior to purchasing equipment. I was told on several occasions that more power meant more headroom and less chance of distortion. Polk has always been really good about replacements and shipping without question. I have all the original packaging but the guy I spoke with yesterday says I have to ship back separate parts at my cost now to have new ones sent out. I'm getting of this and just want to enjoy my system. Any and all suggestions are welcome. For the record,I do not and rarely have ever pushed my system to extreme levels. Sound quality is far more appealing to me than loudness. I mainly watch movies with Plex Media Server to a Roku Streaming Stick. My PC has i7-4770k with 32GB 2400 MHZ Ram GTX960 2GB Nvidia card and SSD OS along Raid0 8TB for media.
  • incloud
    Options
    No chewing as I have no pets.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Are you running all speaker full range?
    Ever play music all channels driven?

What receiver do you have?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • incloud
    Options
    No, I have them all crossed over at 80hz with an SVS PB-2000 Powered Sub.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    OK....yes very strange
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get those amps serviced by a qualified service center.

It would be understandable if you blew speakers once, that may very well be the speaker. Multiple times, at reasonable volumes, you have something else going on, assuming everything is wired correctly and all of your settings are correct.

I ran RTI A5's, CSI A4, FXI A6's, and RTI A3's off an entry level Yamaha, usually in the 60 to 70 dB range, and never had any issues.
  • incloud
    Options
    Once I get the speakers fixed or replaced I'm going to try and run them all straight off the Yamaha with no external Amps and see how the performance is. If the sound is good, I'll just sell the amps. I don't need or use all the power I have. Just got carried away with the build I guess.
  • mrloren
    Options
    incloud wrote: »
    Once I get the speakers fixed or replaced I'm going to try and run them all straight off the Yamaha with no external Amps and see how the performance is. If the sound is good, I'll just sell the amps. I don't need or use all the power I have. Just got carried away with the build I guess.

considering your amps may be the problem, I'll take them off your hands free of charge.

Seriously I'll even pay for shipping for them defective amps.

Something in the mix is not right. Are you running bare wire into the post on amps and speakers? Maybe try banana plugs if you are.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • incloud
    Options
    I'm using banana plugs and Emotiva cables
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Check your calibration settings.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    Options
    incloud wrote: »
    I'm using banana plugs and Emotiva cables

Ok so no wires shorting out then. I would have the amps checked out by a qualified service center. It's hard to blow a speaker. Only ones I have blown was in my car stereo days