New Cambridge-Audio UHD 4K Blue Ray Player

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
I'm not optimistic about this player. They removed the DACs, no analog out, to concentrate on picture quality. While I like the idea, since I do not use the DACs in my Oppo 203 UHD 4K player, I think at $1200 dollars it is over priced. I can not imagine the picture is that much better than the Oppo 203, and if Oppo removed the analog from the 203 they could probably sell it for $400 versus the current $500.

http://4k.com/news/meet-cambridge-audios-new-4k-blu-ray-player-with-dolby-vision-the-cxuhd-20905/
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited August 2017
    Bud, maybe I am missing something but the back panel view shows a 7.1 audio out and a stereo audio out...which would indicate internal DACs of some sort. Not to mention the digital input options on the back panel as well...

cambridge-audio-cxu-nero-lettore-bluray-dvd-sacd-sigillato-garanzia-italia.jpg

I get that the article says it doesn't but that doesn't seem right...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    edited August 2017
    Never mind my above...appears that it speaks to this on the website as well...
    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxuhd
    The unit acts as a transport as we removed the internal DAC to decrease interference to the signal, improving quality by reducing video noise.

The website also shows a $699.99 price tag as well...

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    The article shows the wrong images as well...

cambridge_audio_cxuhd_header_tech_specs_back.jpg

cambridge_audio_cxuhd_header_tech_specs_front.jpg

Images in the article appear to be the CXU not the CXUHD.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Never mind my above...appears that it speaks to this on the website as well...
    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxuhd
    The unit acts as a transport as we removed the internal DAC to decrease interference to the signal, improving quality by reducing video noise.

The website also shows a $699.99 price tag as well...

I guess in addition to the pictures they also got the price wrong. Still $700 is a lot for video only.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2017
    Oppo had a video only Blu Ray player in the last series that was only available to custom installers.

Cambridge Audio products tend to be priced a bit higher than comparable Oppo products, most likely because of the middle man markup.

What's strange to me is the Cambridge Audio Blu Ray player was notable for its superior audio performance to the equivalent Oppo BDP-105!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Would a unit like this have a future firmware update to allow it to be compatible with HDMI 2.1? I would think the new spec would require physical changes in the connectors to accommodate the new 48 Gbit/sec cables?
  • I picked up a Cambridge BD752 earlier this year for half price and absolutely love it. It has the ability to upconvert to 4k and has excellent picture quality, but what impresses me most is sound quality. I have a cheapo media player w/2TB HD fed into it so I can utilize the Cambridge DACs. It's a sweet machine.

3py2fvt8rorz.jpg
    1kndf737uled.jpg