SDA-2 with Marantz SR6001?

pheatton
pheatton Posts: 7
edited August 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I have a set of Polk SDA-2As that I have had for a number of years now, love these suckers. I use these in my spare room for just music listening at this point but I will be moving to a new place with much less space. Im thinking of using these instead of my RT800i's for my home theater which includes a CS400i and a Marantz SR6001. Being that SDAs are technically rated at 4ohm are there any glaring issues running them?

I know little about running 4ohm speakers on a 8ohm receiver and while it can drive them id rather not run into any issues. Also how will the SDAs match timbre wise with the CS400i? I like the RT800i setup but the future wife likes the look of the SDAs better and they are a bit more pleasing to look at.

Marantz Specs - http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR6001v2.pdf

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks you two. I knew I would get a better answer than looking around online. For now it looks like I'll be keeping the RT800is and my parents will get the SDA setup I have for now. I know they will love that!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Major problem is and I have the same issue with my SDAs is they drop to 1 ohm or lower during operation
    WHICH SDAs, and at what frequencies?

1 ohm is way less than what I'd expect for non-modified SDAs. Polk claimed that aside from the lowish (nominal 4 ohm) impedance, they were "easy to drive".
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2017
    I ran SDA2B off a SR5001 for a long time. The receiver eventually died but I don't think it had anything to do with the speakers. I think the 2B are 6ohm rated but I'm sure they could dip into 4ohms. It did run a little warmer than usual though. Maybe that's what killed it. Who knows, it was getting towards 10 years old :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I ran SDA2B off a SR5001 for a long time. The receiver eventually died but I don't think it had anything to do with the speakers. I think the 2B are 6ohm rated but I'm sure they could dip into 4ohms. It did run a little warmer than usual though. Maybe that's what killed it. Who knows, it was getting towards 10 years old :)

Dipping to 4ohm is much different that starting at 4 and going to low 3ohm