'Tempur-Pedic' alternatives?

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    I had a degenerative disc, bought the Tempurpedic with the motorized head up feet up adjustable vibrating king, double single, best investment, my back is great now!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2017
    Does my 50 year old water bed count ?

Kidding....don't even remember what mine is. All I know is we were so tired from moving that day, we hit the first mattress place and dropped 3k on one. Still pretty darn comfy.

Though, now I want the ones that you can elevate either end and massage. Throw in a cheap Chinese doll and your all set.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Had a Casper first & *loved* it. It's now in the spare room as herself & I moved up to a king bed.
    Went with a GhostBed this time as it was supposed to be a bit cooler. It is.

Both have *correct* firmness for both of us & we sleep differently & are physically very different in size.
    This is on a platform bed with no adjustability.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    Thanks again folks.
    Selection makes the world a better place :)
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Corsicana Bedding Inc. End game! They have been building memory foam matteress (and all styles of bedding) longer than Tempurpedic has been in business and have identical models at a fraction of the amt. Tempurpedic unloads their story for. I was in the industry years ago as a sales trainer for one of the largest bedding retailers in the world, so I learned quite a bit about the business. With all the connections I still have, wife and I went with a King Sz. Corsicana foam bed with the Comfort Base (Glideaway) adjustable frame, making for a very comfortable set up. Corsicana is a sort of a secret in the industry but nothing to write off, located in Coesicana TX and with their plant right there, the company puts out tons of product daily. 903-872-2591 to find a dealer in your area and expect a king to run close to 1500 if you go standard box springs (stay away from a flat foundation style base) and skys the limit when you shop adjustable bases, Glideaway is at the top of the chain as far are quality and customer service if you want your bed to do it all. What......another remote control in the bedroom?? The vibrate/massage portion of my Glideaway was well worth the investment alone but that's just me. The base does so much more with positioning, I just love the vibrate feature. Best of luck in your search.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I got my Tuft & Needle in today - set it up already and wow it is firm. I was really sinking into my old mattress LOL. Hope it works as my lower back has been kicking my .... badly...

I know, I know i need to work on my core strengthening!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    edited August 2017
    Voltz,

Congrats! It works for you and that is all that matters! But. We need to define firm, in context. Hehe.

I was lucky to demo some mattresses when living in an apartment the past three months. My wife's coworkers all decided to order different ones, try out and switch. I am tossing all my mattresses.... Ordering the Purple for Master Bed and Ghost for the other rooms.

Now I need to try out one of those "My Pillows".

Cheers!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Leesa owner here. We've had it for a while now. I switched from a Serta to the Leesa and I really liked it for the first couple of months. Definitely had less motion transfer and less pressure point issues.

Purple is interesting.

I do like some of the individually pocketed coil mattresses from Serta & Simmons. There are a lot of good choices out there.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    Agree with Joey V. Beautyrest Black. Sleeps cool and I am rested every morning.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    edited August 2017
    Ghost came in. Oh yea. Me like.
    poa4d5nx0su9.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    The wife and I went to look at mattresses last night, and we are looking at the Aspen from Denver Mattress, it has 3" of latex, it feels very comfortable...

http://denvermattress.furniturerow.com/shared/catalog/product/product.jsp;jsessionid=BCd-+J0o4cNZHzLIRL83htkk.15220d33-71fb-3fbb-b9d0-e0fd6bf0fba0?id=prod1760160&_requestid=670505

Will probably go look at some others today..

Great thread..
  • [

They look like great mattresses. But I don't understand why someone would spend $4000 for a king size mattress when you can order one online, such as Tuft and Needle, Casper, Purple, etc for less than a grand. And you can easily get all your money back for up to 100 days with just a phone call. We have a Tuft and Needle that is by far the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. Our daughter and her husband opted for a store bought mattress that cost just over $4000. They spent a few minutes on it in the store and thought it was wonderful. After living with it for a couple of months they began to have comfort issues and there was no way to return it for a full refund. They are out 4 grand and they are sleeping on a less than comfortable bed and they are not happy campers! There is a reason that the parking lots of a lot of mattress stores are almost always empty.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited September 2017
    Oppo, never mind..
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    We bought my daughter a Tuft & Needle full size mattress so we could still lie down with her before she outgrows us. We have a hybrid mattress to the tune of $3000 and the T&N puts it to shame. Our hybrid sleeps hot and is kinda hard. Hers is still firm enough to support but soft enough to be comfortable. One thing I noticed about it is the top layer has a mix of cooling gel and graphite. This mixture is different in that it's neither hot or cold. It's regulating and I noticed that it wasn't super cool at first (which I thought I liked), but after 10 minutes I noticed it wasn't getting hot either. I've fallen asleep on that thing faster than my own bed and it's quite refreshing. My wife loves it too, she will go up like me and fall asleep while tucking our daughter in. I want to try a Casper, Leesa, and Purple. Purple is actually the first one we looked at and we were on edge between that or the Tuft & Needle.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Old thread, but just wondering how everyone with the Tuft & Needle feels about them now. We will be getting a new queen sized mattress soon and are deciding between that model and a conventional innerspring from The Original Mattress Factory.

https://www.originalmattress.com/orthopedic-mattress/overview
  • We've had our T&N king size mattress for about a year and a half and still find it very comfortable. No regrets at all. Money well spent.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • There are bunch of alternatives in fact. Mattress industry is huge now even comparing to 15 years ago. Lots of leaders in the industry now were created in the last decade – Casper, Purple, Leesa etc. And now we see how they oust old brands.
    Personally I don’t like Tempurpedic - it has many layers and most of them are useful but Tempur-Pedic was mainly created for people who suffer from spine problems and actually they pay for this mattress as for remedy not just to make bed comfortable. There are many fairly priced comfortable mattresses around. I planned to get Purple because of its stunning design and awesome ads I seen on youtube but they were founded only in 2014 and physically people couldn’t test their durability yet so I sticked to Tuft and Needle after seeing this where it is awarded the first spot. And I like it – it is only 600$ for Queen model, 5 times cheaper than Tempur-Pedic.
    If your budged is tough – from reviews I read I can advice Zinus – many people say it is very firm which is good for spine but consider that it is almost fully made of memory foam so it may feel hot.
    Anyway, luckily mattress manufacturers provide 90 days return policy and you can test many of them and choose the best.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    I have a possibly silly question but I see alot of these news mattresses that seemed to be pictured in ads as being on a platform bed. Are those kinds of beds required or could I put one of these new style mattresses on top of my king box springs?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    adb3da wrote: »
    I have a possibly silly question but I see alot of these news mattresses that seemed to be pictured in ads as being on a platform bed. Are those kinds of beds required or could I put one of these new style mattresses on top of my king box springs?

Box spring is fine. Just set the foam on top!

I have a tempurpedic in my bedroom and my daughter has a Zinus and i built a platform bed for hers and use a west elm one for ours. I used plywood instead of slats for both to give them a solid foundation. I like the platform height because it almost doubles as a bench. I can easily sit on the end and put on my shoes. My wife used to want a bench at the end of our traditional bed, but no longer. And that saves space.

Also, it should be noted that a good tempurpedic type mattress with a really solid platform frame makes a really good, um, platform for adult play time...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • meledis
    meledis Posts: 22
    When you sleep on the wrongly selected pillow for a long time, it can lead to the muscles overexert, and because of this, the vertebral arteries supplying blood to the brain are compressed. This, in turn, leads to a lack of oxygen and, as a result, headaches, tinnitus, insomnia, and dizziness and more. In addition, it is the “wrong” pillow that provokes excessive relaxation of the soft palate, which is one of the common causes of snoring.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My mom got a Night Therapy Spring 13 Inch Deluxe Euro Box Top Spring Mattress, Queen, by Zinus and she despises it.

I gave up on my queen-size Leesa in favor of a king-size Sealy 10" Hybrid and I love this mattress. I have to rescind my endorsement of the Leesa. It was pretty good initially but not so good after ~ 2 years. The motion transfer was more and more apparent and it just didn't feel as supportive as time went on.

My brother got a Casper Sleep Essential Mattress but he felt it was too soft so he got a Nod by Tuft and Needle and that is a very comfortable all-foam mattress.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    No complaints on my Temper-P. Wife likes her side to be a sinkhole and my side is set to the firmest setting. Going on 5 years with it.
  • mikejasonlee
    mikejasonlee Posts: 1
    edited October 2019
    Hey, I think Purple and Casper are positioned at high-end crowds, but their product are very expensive!! but the mattress quality is very good.
    ybu1e34vbkff.png

I recently bought an Inofia king size mattress, which cost less than 200$. I slept for a while and it feels very good, this mattress is very soft and very elastic. maybe you can try it too. you can shop here:https://www.inofia.com/products/inofia-10-inch-spring-hybrid-mattress
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    SPAMMER.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I got an Heirloom, nicest bed I ever slept in.

Aireloom cost twice as much now but it's organic and I still got insomnia
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Maybe you should try the spike-o-pedic

yubq8pvqsnd5.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Bringing back an old one here.

We need a new mattress. Daughter has a foam one and loves it. In a store yesterday and the guy there said the vast majority of "bed in a box" suppliers use foam from China that has Formaldehyde in it. Ant truth to that? Maybe that is what off gasses from these mattresses initially?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    We went with the Simmons Black Ice Scarlett King as. Individual foam coils along with memory foam making for one of the most comfortable beds on the planet and definitely the most comfortable bed we have ever owned or slept in. Our mattress sits on a Glideaway adjustable frame which enhances the comfort level quite a bit. Especially when we turn on the built in massage feature.
    An investment well worth it.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!