V85 or 265-RT for 2-Channel Music-Only In-Wall Speakers. Which is Best? Why?

Options
I'm going to do in-wall speakers for my small(ish) living room. Floor space is at a premium, but the room has a "big" feel to it, thanks to the 2-story ceiling with a loft upstairs, which overlooks the living room.

My plan is to mount the speakers in the half-wall that forms the boundary of the loft. It is standard 2x4 wooden stud & drywall construction, so there shouldn't be any issues. It's not ideal placement, I know - the speakers would be almost 9 feet above the living room floor, and probably 6 feet or so above ear level, when people are seated. Given the bizarre layout of my townhouse, it's the only installation option I have - trust me on this... The living room is bordered by floor-to-ceiling windows on the opposite wall, an open staircase on the second side, and a party/fire wall that separates me from the next unit, on the third side (and I'm not allowed to cut into or have anything installed in that wall - not even speakers or speaker wire. I checked).

I'm hoping that the aimable tweeters on either of these in-wall speakers will help with imaging, by projecting the sound downward, toward the seating area.

I see that, on paper, both the V85 and the 265-RT have identical frequency response ranges - both have tweeters that will hit 27 kHz, and each bottoms out at 30 Hz. But on the lower end, I suspect these 2 speakers take fairly different paths, to arrive at 30 Hz. My instincts tell me that beefier 8" woofer and non-ported design of the V85 will produce "tighter" bass, which I prefer. But in this less-than-optimal installation / placement situation I'm facing, I wonder if the twin 6.5" woofers and the PowerPort on the 265-RT might produce "more" bass (that will be heard / felt in the listening area) - even if it is a tad bit boomier / sloppier, due to the ported design.

There is only 50 bucks difference between these speakers, so I'm open to buying either one. I just want to know -in THIS application- which is likely to perform best (and WHY).

ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER OF THESE SPEAKERS, OR HAS HAD A SIMILAR PLACEMENT CHALLENGE WITH IN-WALL SPEAKERS, please let me know your thoughts / observations, and your recommendation for me here. Many thanks!

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Is this application for theater, music or both?
    Will you be including a center channel?
    Will you be including a subwoofer?

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • NJKinMPLS
    Options
    Music only. No sub. No center channel. I will be using an external equalizer to help normalize for the room, etc.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Really don't like the application but if i had to choose it would be the V85
    I would box in and add a little dampening material or use a Dynabox if they will fit.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    Go for the RT series. Haven't personally heard those exact models but I have heard many times their ceiling speaker variants (V60 and 90-RT) and the V-series is nice but the RT series is a definite step up.