Starting Over...

Options
So life has been somewhat cruel to me over the last year, losing my sight, then one surgery followed by another...I'll spare all the details but I'm about $50K into this thing and so audio has been about the last thing on my mind or in my budget.

I'm beyond all the spending at this point, as what could be done for the eyes has been done, so I'm about ready to start piecing together a system.

But I'm basically where I was almost 15 years ago when I started this hobby with nothing and not a huge budget. I'm talking almost literally nothing, to my name I have an iPod, B&W P7 Wireless headphones, Fidelio X2 headphones, and a pair of Focal XS Book desktops (computer grade speakers) being fed by an Audioquest Dragonfly...and that's literally every piece of audio gear I own.

The one asset I do have is my ears and the knowledge that I bring into this whole thing, and the fact that I at least know my preference for sound signature helps as well. On one hand the idea of starting with nothing is daunting, but it's also refreshing in a way to start clean with no ties or gear to work around.

I plan on being more active here again, though this place isn't quite what it once was. I'll probably start looking at the flea market here although it seems most have moved on to higher gear that's going to be out of my budget for a while.

So I'm mostly just rambling here and curious if anyone else has experienced coming back to audio after an extended absence, although if you guys have any lower end gear that you're looking to sell feel free to shoot me a PM.

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Where you located??

What type of gear you looking for??

We can keep our eyes open.

Welcome back and prayers for you.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I'm between Colorado Springs and Denver so both markets are doable, and the two primary needs at the moment are speakers and an amp. I can make the Dragonfly DAC work as the source and volume control, it's not ideal but at entry level gear I seriously doubt volume dither is going to be on my list of priorities :-)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I'll be out in October going to RMAF. I'm hoping to meet up with some Polkies going to it. Maybe finally shake the big Toolfan's hand
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'm going to loan up my Modwright preamp that I'm not building a system around any time soon
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ^Now THATS a start!

PS Nice to see you posting again Danny. We crossed paths at LSAF, but missed introductions.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nice to see you posting again Danny. Sometimes there is a lot of fun in starting over. A chance for a reset so to speak. Some of my most enjoyable rigs have been simple rigs. Still amazed how good my computer/office system sounds and there are no high $$$ pieces in there. All carefully mated to work very well together.

Good luck and keep us posted. I have cleared all my stagnant gear out, but I still have a couple integrated tube amps that get very little use.......something to think about.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Welcome back!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Free, goofy advice (and worth every penny).
    Do a philosophical flip-flop for v.2.0 (or v. n.0, as the case may be):
    E.g., if you were high power, high-tech loudspeakers, DSP, and digital -- try fleapower single-ended triodes, high-sensitivity loudspeakers, minimalist preamplification, and analog source (maybe 2-track reel to reel tape).

(or, you know... vice versa, as the case may be)

Half of the fun of this ferschlugginer hobby, IMO, is confounding one's own expectations.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    Most importantly, how are you feeling? Nice to see you back. Do you need any cables?
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm between Colorado Springs and Denver so both markets are doable, and the two primary needs at the moment are speakers and an amp. I can make the Dragonfly DAC work as the source and volume control, it's not ideal but at entry level gear I seriously doubt volume dither is going to be on my list of priorities :-)

I have a Denon PRA1200 pre amp that I will sell to you for shipping costs. I have to find a box and packing material but it is as good as yours. Just collecting dust on my end although i'm sure I will have a future use for it I prefer it be used now.

Just lemme know if it works for you. It does need a good Deoxit cleaning as dem some dirty pots.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I have a couple of power amps sitting around and you are more than welcome to them, Danny.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @lightman1

You have a couple of SYSTEMS sitting around Russ lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and offers for help guys.

Things are better with the vision but unfortunately there's some significant permanent loss, while not crippling it is majorly impactful. I can still do day to day stuff and get out and hike and such, but something like driving for example is never gonna happen again. Ultimately there are people far worse off than me so I don't feel sorry for myself not do I expect anyone else to. Nonetheless the support here and elsewhere means a great deal.
  • lightman1
    Options
    @lightman1

You have a couple of SYSTEMS sitting around Russ lol....

On it, Dan. B);)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I know, I just gotta rib ya as often as I can.... you know.... that running joke within our Club Polk clique :wink:
  • lightman1
    Options
    I AM the running joke..... :p
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I AM the running joke..... :p

Literally.... you run from state to state so often the joke never gets old ;)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Looking at speakers...does anyone know which model these are and if they're worth the $700?

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-speakers/6230791079.html
  • lightman1
    Options
    Too high, Danny. I paid $600 for a fully modded set. 2 fiddy to tree fiddy at most.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I have a couple of power amps sitting around and you are more than welcome to them, Danny.

Don't believe him Danny...still waiting on him to send me some garage speakers like he promised. I think it's the goats that distract him...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Don't believe him Danny...still waiting on him to send me some garage speakers like he promised. I think it's the goats that distract him...

Call Mike, foo! He's my warehouse manager. <3
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I probably have some speakers I could move your way gratis and I know a guy driving to Denver in a while. PM me if you want to discuss -Don
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    A big public thank you to Fred (Derf), he graciously offered to give me a pair of Polk S20 bookshelf speakers, wouldn't even take my money to cover shipping costs.

These give a whole new, almost literal, meaning to the phrase starting over. The first pair of "real" speakers that I ever owned were the S4, the smaller sibling of these, these really do take me back to the start of my audio journey almost 20 years ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    S4's were kind of fun! I'd like to hear the S20's broken in and in a better setting.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    I recently did a version of starting over as I had put all my funds into HT which I used for 2-channel, then lost the space to renters and didn't want to remove the equipment. I guess I chose to start from scratch (kind of literally by building a pair of bookshelf size speakers) for the fun of it, and it did remind me of when I started in audio. How much can I get for little money, but luckily I have much more knowledge, and now have a very neat 2-channel with custom wave-guide tweeter and transmission line woofer monitors with a Teac DAC integrated amp.

Enjoy the music!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I recently did a version of starting over as I had put all my funds into HT which I used for 2-channel, then lost the space to renters and didn't want to remove the equipment. I guess I chose to start from scratch (kind of literally by building a pair of bookshelf size speakers) for the fun of it, and it did remind me of when I started in audio. How much can I get for little money, but luckily I have much more knowledge, and now have a very neat 2-channel with custom wave-guide tweeter and transmission line woofer monitors with a Teac DAC integrated amp.

Enjoy the music!

Pictures!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Enjoy the music!

Pictures!

I thought you'd chime in Dan...your clock is ticking before I send in the goon squad and retrieve the salad bowls ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Enjoy the music!

Pictures!

I thought you'd chime in Dan...your clock is ticking before I send in the goon squad and retrieve the salad bowls ;)
    Working w Ryan on a design....
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    If I can get some help with shipping these out to you, I am offering these to you. I recently moved and the 2nd bedroom in my apartment is just too small for them.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176898/polk-audio-sda-srs-2-400
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    I have a PS3 in the bedroom that is collecting dust/ hasn't been turned on in a couple years, if you need a BR player. It was the original 60gb model that played literally everything (SACDs, etc), and I haven't really used it since I had it repaired/refurbbed, so if you're in need let me know and we can work out a great deal for you.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"