SDA placement advice

SWMBO would like my SRS2's moved out of the great room (big room, very high ceilings, long wall available, ... :'( ) to the FROG (Family Room Over Garage)

While I do have a front long wall available there, it is a marginally suitable knee wall, slightly taller than the speakers. I wonder about the directivity/dispersion pattern of the tweeters and MW's, and whether I can treat the sloped ceiling well enough or if its going to be a reflective mess?

Or could it perform well, along the lines of a choral shell?

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Try it, find out.

I, too, am looking for a good text on room acoustics. I have a new challenge/opportunity to deal with--a large room formerly a gym.
  • I have mine in front of a knee wall, and they sound pretty good to me. Both the CRS and 1C's. Like he said, try it and find out.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    I feel your pain. Our great room has wonderful acoustics ... with a pair of RTi A3's. The basement has some real challenges ... and a pair of fully modded SDA's.

Experiment with speaker placement and seating locations until it's as good as you can get it. Then start with room treatments. I treated corners to deal with slap echo, used a loveseat at a first reflection point and treated a low part of the ceiling. Night and day improvement from where I started.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • I had a couple packs of 4" OC703 and can't recall if I put in storage or gave away. Murphy has been integral to this recent move, and would dictate the latter, but will see.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I placed mine in front of the window in the frog. I've got the HT setup like that now as well.
  • Airplay355 wrote: »
    I placed mine in front of the window in the frog. I've got the HT setup like that now as well.

With 'normal' speakers, this would be a nightmare of early reflections, but thinking not the case with these being designed to back up close to the wall.
    Though if I find that OC703, thinking of making freestanding frames/stands with a couple 2x4 pieces to move around and test.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I just mean I used the window wall, not one of the side walls with an angle. The speakers weren't actually against the windows. I've got Lsi15s there now but there're probably a good 3 feet into the room. The SDAs sounded great. There are some parts of those I liked better than the Lsi but ultimately I didn't want to use them in an HT and the tweeter isn't nearly as nice. So they're in the closet for now.