Did I blow my Tweet or my Xover?

Options
Greets All!

I realized this weekend the front 3 speakers just were not sounding right. I have the CSI-A6 for center and RTI-A9's front L/R. I did the good ole ear listen and realized my tweeters were not reproducing ANY sound on any of these units. I realized the RTI's had the higher frequencies coming from the top mid driver and the CSI had high freq's coming out of the right hand mid driver. The other Mid drivers in each system reproduced only mid frequencies. I am using an Onkyo 800 series AVR and XPA-5 for the front 3's in a biamp configuration with the bus bar removed on the RTI's. To make sure there was no issue, I wired the Onkyo directly to an RTI w/ the bus bar in place and experienced the same results.

I also removed the back plate to see if there were any "obvious" cap expansions indicative of a blow out but did not notice anything out of the norm..

I stopped short of testing the tweeter in my FX-A6 rear channels in fear I would harm anything within the speaker.

Any feedback or guidance here is appreciated.

thx-

Answers

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Did you immediately before this issue, play music or sounds unusually loud perhaps?
    Or drive the amp into clipping?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Did we have a party? LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Another thought.....
    It seems odd that all 3 front channels would have blown tweeters at one time, assuming a movie, usually dialog is center and mostly sounds left and right, and music usually just the left and right.

Unless as steve says...a party...!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I'm guessing his system failed the "Enter Sandman" torture test.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Seems unlikely, but still possible, that you burned up all 3 speakers at the same time. You'd really have to be pounding away to do that.

Since you already tries hooking up one speaker with the jumpers in place, it might be time to open them up and see what you can see. Look at the crossover for anything blackened/burnt on the board.

Also, try playing something in 2 channel stereo, just the receiver connected to the speakers and see what happens. Since you have a bi-amp configuration, I'm assuming the receiver might be part of that.....or not, don't know for sure. Point is to make sure the receiver or the amp isn't malfunctioning before you start opening up the speakers. If you have another receiver to test them on, do so.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable