Club Polk Perception

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    I am legend. I just piss off everyone along the way, because I am a first class snob. By sincere accident mind you.

Let's start with Kelly Sweet - Dream On. How does your setup handle it? Notice anything? Music layers? Depth? Stage? Poorly mixed? Good?

How about Jaimie Paul - Summertime or
    Chris Botti - A Thousand Kisses Deep?

Yeah I am not mainstream. I also happen to believe that Adele has talent but needs to lose her recording studio.. what say you.
    Agreed on the Adele. On the others? I'll have to buy the albums and versions you have in order to answer accurately.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

My last comment is that perhaps when you discover that everyone on a given forum, this one or otherwise, has a problem with you, and you alone, and that one fact is the only consistent thing tying everything together, perhaps the issue doesn't lie with them,but in some behavior you continue to repeat.

I find this comment somewhat disturbing. I am hoping it was meant in jest, although you implied you do not jest with someone you do not know well.
    I find it quite hard to believe that "Everyone" on this forum has a problem with DuB, and likewise hard to believe you have spoken to literally everyone about him.

I will even agree with you, at times, some of his comments seem :out of place" or could cause some of the backlash you mention, but to literally insinuate, Every person on the forum has some issue with him?

I see the same 8-12 guys Bashing him, and a few others people, no matter what they say, then then going back and piling on over and over again, almost as if it is entertainment or a way to fight boredom.

I seem to remember someone telling me about being embarrassed by how several in the forum behave.......... :*

@K_M I've come to your defense a couple of times recently about what I perceived as piling on, but, I have to say that it's becoming apparent to me that you are bringing it on yourself. The above is being pedantic, and it seems to be a common trait with you. @EndersShadow brought out many good and valid points about DUB, with whom it's becoming increasingly apparent is more interested in pedantic, obstructive behavior as well, yet, all you can focus on is one small part of a greater conversation that you find offensive. This is sad.

I can look for, and find, something to be offended about nearly every place I look, however, I prefer to look on the positive side of things. There is so much here that is positive, so much info and rich life experiences, that I'd be a fool to think I somehow have more knowledge, or, that I couldn't learn and grow from what other have. When I was younger and just starting my alcoholism recovery I was brash and thought I knew everything...well, not everything, but, more than the world was giving me credit for. If I thought I was right I would fight and argue to get my point across. One day a guy in my support group, that had far more sobriety than I, told me that his life started to change when he realized he didn't need to be right, rather, he needed to have right relationships. That struck a chord with me. I was spending a lot of time arguing with others trying to prove my point so I could be "understood' and all I was accomplishing was nothing more than alienating myself from others.

None of this is terminal and it's nothing that all can't recover from, but, a reset is needed. Perhaps look inside and try and find what "your part" is and how you can be a better forum member. There is often blame to go around, but, you can't fix the issues of others, but, you can fix the issues that are yours.

I come in peace.

Kerry
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hey guys. It's half time. Halen is up 49 to 3 Tom. Wiating for his come back. If this is Patriots over again, I spot the odds 45 to Tom. My defense alone will prevent any field goals. Anyhow. I just need to sack Tom for a safety and game is over.

I just handed you your balls Tom. It's on your 1 yard line. Hahaha.

Make that call.
    Oh, krieky Halen. It's now close to 10:30 and I have a flight to catch in about 6 hours. I'm hittin' the sack, so you win.

Thanks for handing me my balls though. My wife sincerely appreciates it. Now we can have fun before I leave.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Tom,

Being serious here. Nothing I enjoy more than sharing music. If you wanna test I am more than happy to send to you. I still have a list I asked DK to share with me. He broke down all the tracks and what he listened for and to.. at specific intervals.

I could repeat that kindness.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ^^^ Chuck Norris approves, Kerry flus7fzoahk9.gif
  • halen
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ^^^ Chuck Norris approves, Kerry flus7fzoahk9.gif

Hey. I heard Chuck Norris fought Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon or something like that. Is that true?
  • treitz3
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    I have mine on 2" spiked platforns.
    Seems to help, & I can move em around if need be.
    I always thought "Subs" per se, were Omni Directional?

Not in my experience. I hate being able to locate where a sub is and I don't know who said that but me thinks they are full of it.

Sounds good Halen. I have some tracks as well that I use for the same exact reason. "Olympic Fanfare" by Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops when they hit the Tympani or Alllison Krauss......ah, I need to get to bed. 4:45am will be here before I know it.

Yeah, I have plenty of "those" type tracks for system evaluation.

Tom
  • halen
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have mine on 2" spiked platforns.
    Seems to help, & I can move em around if need be.
    I always thought "Subs" per se, were Omni Directional?

Not in my experience. I hate being able to locate where a sub is and I don't know who said that but me thinks they are full of it.

Sounds good Halen. I have some tracks as well that I use for the same exact reason. "Olympic Fanfare" by Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops when they hit the Tympani or Alllison Krauss......ah, I need to get to bed. 4:45am will be here before I know it.

Yeah, I have plenty of "those" type tracks for system evaluation.

Tom

Alright. Lets music share. Name the track and break down. Let's start a thread on it. But before testing, should list complete setup. Once that is established. Then room size and shape.

One step at a time. Then go into more granular things. Let start with one song and go from there.
  • halen
    Options
    "granular things"
    And for that reason..........."Im Out".

Hey hey. I saved you a seat next to me. You better get back in.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    You better get back in.

Teheheheheheheh....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    Options
    Well @DSkip in all the dealings and conversations we've had I never took you for a snob. But, I kind of like that. I've always, secretly, kind of wanted to have nice enough equipment that I could be considered an audio snob. I still don't, but, being friends with one is good enough.
  • kharp1
    Options
    I agree that Adele's recordings are terrible. There have been more than a few over the years. John Mellencamp's Scarecrow was terrible, pick a Journey album. Sting's All This Time was a far cry from the incredible sound captured on the live DVD. Was speaking to another forum member earlier and I commented that it seems like most recordings are engineered with ear buds or car stereos in mind. I realize that's a blanket generalization, but, so many get revealed for flawed recordings that I find myself gravitating to the really good recordings so I can enjoy my "system" and I feel that somehow I've lost my way...maybe time to reassess a few things and get back to just the music. Don't know if that's even possible at this point.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You would think that amp would take the "Audio World by STORM!!!"
    Ive never heard of it till this thread?

You must have been living in a cave all these years. The original Silver Seven tube amps are legendary. I haven't heard the newest version, but I can tell you the originals are in the top 10 best amps I've heard and I've heard a lot of amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They were called amp of the century when they came out and were named in the top ten most significant amplifiers of all time. Bob had three designs in that top ten as I recall.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You would think that amp would take the "Audio World by STORM!!!"
    Ive never heard of it till this thread?

You must have been living in a cave all these years. The original Silver Seven tube amps are legendary. I haven't heard the newest version, but I can tell you the originals are in the top 10 best amps I've heard and I've heard a lot of amps.

From reading this thread, you would think it would turn the audio world upside down.
    You know I luv ya Jesse. :)

They did in 1990... google Carver Silver Seven tube amp and read the old reviews.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You, and anyone else for that matter, are welcome to drop by and give my rig a listen.

• kharp1
    Options
    I was 15 yrs old in 1979.

Jeez you're old! I was only 14!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I was 15 yrs old in 1979.

Jeez you're old! I was only 14!

I was only a twinkle....

Old farts :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I agree that Adele's recordings are terrible. There have been more than a few over the years. John Mellencamp's Scarecrow was terrible, pick a Journey album. Sting's All This Time was a far cry from the incredible sound captured on the live DVD. Was speaking to another forum member earlier and I commented that it seems like most recordings are engineered with ear buds or car stereos in mind. I realize that's a blanket generalization, but, so many get revealed for flawed recordings that I find myself gravitating to the really good recordings so I can enjoy my "system" and I feel that somehow I've lost my way...maybe time to reassess a few things and get back to just the music. Don't know if that's even possible at this point.
    (emphasis added)

'twas ever thus. well, 'twas thus for a long time.
    Thus did all recording studios and mastering suites have a pair of Auratone cubes ("Horrortones") and a pair of Yamaha NS-10 monitors in them. If a mix sounded OK on either (or both), it would sound OK in any setting -- including the AM radio in a car.

318496d1353770678-auratone-5c-different-versions-auratones.jpg

600px-Studio_C_Ardent_Studios_cropped.jpg.jpg

Might I also mention that I was an adult in 1979 (albeit barely). 'nuff said.

:|