Let's Talk Carts and Styli

Options

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Growing up..there were just two mediums for sound reproduction...R-R and table..it was easy to experiment with different combos of cartridge and tonearm types till you found the one that was right and suited your needs..Nowadays those combinations are Infinate....I'm glad that I'm not now just diving into that realm...
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I misspoke, or mistyped, I waa referring to the new PLX-1000 instead of the older PL-1000. I've overloaded myself in the last week with too many models. I'm wore out.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    ^^I believe MHardy has one of those that he's kicked the tires on selling before.^^ I'm sure he'll chime in.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That seems like a good price to me -- I do have one (a TT-15S1, that is) with that CA Virtuoso Ebony cartridge. It works fine and sounded OK -- til I put a DL-103 in a Technics SL-Q2. The Marantz (Clearaudio OEM) went back in its nicely packaged box.

It's not particularly finicky or anything (though, of course, fully manual). I had some trouble with noise until I realized the bearing needed a freshen-up of oil :/ It's attractive and well made. The arm (CA "Satisfy" arm) is kind of crude in design but the execution is pretty good (the Marantz variant has a wooden wand).

I think the weak point with the "system" is that CA cartridge (which, as best I understand it, is an OEM A-T variant). It was really blah, at least with the phono preamps I tried it on back at the time. I have not tried it on the JLTI phono preamp -- I do intend to, though.

AK's "Luvvinvinyl" (Ernie) has or had one with (IIRC) a Benz Glider in it; and he loved it. Gary Kaufman added some mass to the head of a CA Satisfy arm and was running a DL-103 in that arm on an SL-1200 last I knew; he was very happy with it.

Does any of this help? :/

Mrbiron has right of first refusal on mine, btw. :)

12877794893_74ddf705f7_b.jpgTT15S12 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • kharp1
    Options
    I'm now the owner of a turntable. Thanks @nooshinjohn
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Any time
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Good choice. One heck of a starter table.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well it's about time! :) Congrats, nice table.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Congrats. Psssst. You wanna buy some records? The first one's free. Lol
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Are they the rare Columbia crack versions?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

Don't be an enabler... Vinyl is already like crack.
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options

Lot of used record stores around Cincinnati. Probably some even nearer to you.

Never pass up a garage sale without asking "got any records you want to get rid of..."
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • kharp1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh no, not me. I'm not crazy neurotic like you guys...I only want a table to, you know, listen to a few albums. I'll never be really in to vinyl like you guys.

This whole research thing with tables has turned my brain in to goo! I became obsessed with trying to put together the perfect starting point for me. So far, with everything I've ever done with audio over the last 35 years, I've never found a perfect "ANYTHING"! Over analyze, over criticize, over tweak, over everything. There are a few words bouncing around my head...

Hello, my name is Kerry, and I'm here because I have a problem...
  • FestYboy
    Options
    We all have problems... That's why we're here.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Oh no, not me. I'm not crazy neurotic like you guys...I only want a table to, you know, listen to a few albums. I'll never be really in to vinyl like you guys.

This whole research thing with tables has turned my brain in to goo! I became obsessed with trying to put together the perfect starting point for me. So far, with everything I've ever done with audio over the last 35 years, I've never found a perfect "ANYTHING"! Over analyze, over criticize, over tweak, over everything. There are a few words bouncing around my head...

Hello, my name is Kerry, and I'm here because I have a problem...

Don't be fooled by how cute and casual this rabbit is. And what ever you do! Don't follow him into that hole!
    4dh1w5e4m12c.jpg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• SCompRacer
    Options
    Oh no, not me. I'm not crazy neurotic like you guys...I only want a table to, you know, listen to a few albums.

Haha Hehehe...he said only listen to a few albums...
  • FestYboy
    edited August 2017
    Options
    e9rimh7m8adn.jpg
    I believe this is the rabbit you're referring to:
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,385
    Options
    BUT IT'S JUST A BUNNY!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    0519dd047bd25989dd4d9abb18a5dbf8--christophe-gilbert-music-life.jpg

If picts are worth 1000 words...... you just said a mouthfull!!!!
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That image was the avatar of someone on AK -- it's actually kind of unsettling, but not wholly inappropriate in the context of this thread.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Very kewl! Congrats on the new table and cart! That's a really nice setup!
  • FestYboy
    Options
    BUT IT'S JUST A BUNNY!

Run away!!! Run away!!!!

Bring out the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Just one of those movies CLASSIC like CAVEMAN /Ringo Starr.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    BUT IT'S JUST A BUNNY!

if8q4noaxc36.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    Options
    OK, after talking with the Marantz owner I decided to go another route. I ended up with a new Pioneer PLX-1000 table and a Denon DL-110 cartridge for $800. I like the idea of a DD table for my first table and after reading well over a hundred reviews, all with nothing but good things to say about the table (as well as the cartridge) I felt comfortable with what I was getting at the price I was getting it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    OK, after talking with the Marantz owner I decided to go another route. I ended up with a new Pioneer PLX-1000 table and a Denon DL-110 cartridge for $800. I like the idea of a DD table for my first table and after reading well over a hundred reviews, all with nothing but good things to say about the table (as well as the cartridge) I felt comfortable with what I was getting at the price I was getting it.

Just don't read what the anti-Hanpin patrol @ audiokarma has to say about it!
    ;)

... or, if you just can't resist (like peeking as you drive by a really bad accident on the freeway)...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/anyone-checked-out-the-new-pioneer-plx-1000.614355/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/i-have-ordered-a-pioneer-plx-1000-direct-drive-turntable.645426/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-pioneer-plx-1000-thread.713910/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/there-is-an-interesting-review-of-the-pioneer-plx-1000.642722/

N.B. I do not invest an iota of confidence in any of the naysayers' (generally theoretical as opposed to empirical) complaints! These hate-fests do nicely illustrate the neurotically fetishistic worldviews of the vinylista, though :(

The DL-110 oughta be a nice choice for it, I would think, too!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'd have gone PLX-1000 instead of Technics if not for that wow/flutter misinformation debacle that turned out to be a misprint unchecked for ages. That, and a few tables with loose bearings (not a big deal apparently), and so many 'strong' mixed reviews from the uninformed really made an impression on me when I was just beginning (for the second time) and scared me away. Like those threads Doc linked hehe. Now instead of being a PLX-1000 owner and wondering how the Technics compares, I'm wondering how the PLX does.

From what I understand the PLX has some cool stuff that only the M5G Technics had, I think? Like some kind of damping in the tonearm or something like that. I vaguely recall reading that the PLX uses some kind of unibody damping material in the plinth. Plus, RCA jacks instead of captive cables.

Great threads here, Kerry. Been learning a bit more. I think I'd like to try one of these Denons too. Anyone know how the 110 or 103 compares to something like the Shure M97xE or the Grado Prestige line? I'm using a Green. I like both of these, finding the M97xE a bit more laid back, smoother, and more forgiving with contaminants. The Grado seems more detailed and, thus, more vocal with the debris and blems than the Shure.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
    I disabled signatures.