RTA 11t.... I think..

A guy has these on CL, stating they're Polk Audio Monitor Series Speakers, however look like RTA 11t's to me. Any thoughts on the way these sound? He is asking 200, I figure that's a little on the high side, opinions?

nojbp5dcmhk1.png

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Yes, RTA 11t. Got my pair for $160, some say that was a little high, but in my area, ppl are asking $300+...

As for the sound... The bass could be tighter, but the extension is good. They need a "bigger" amp to wake up. And at their age, they need recapped. In my room I don't mind the hotter SL2ks especially at lower listening levels, but once they're really singing, it can be a little harsh.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    $150 is closer to the going price.....or less.

One of my favorite Polks, especially after a tweeter and x-over upgrade. SDA, RTA, Monitor Series are my faves of the classic Polk line up.

Bass is tight and extended if set-up properly and they image incredibly well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Thanks man, I am going to try to get him down to about half what he is asking, I really just don't think they'd sell for 200 and it would be a quick 100 bucks in his pocket for the sale. I'd probably go up a little.
  • heiney9
    $150 should be the max, IMO if they are pristine.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017
    $200 is a good price!

Figure 6 drivers and 4 passive radiators.
    WE love ours, and may be our favourite older Polk of all our vintage ones.

Great imaging and deep bass.
  • Considering I got 1C's for 260 or so, can't remember exactly, and my CRS+ for 70. 200 seems to be on the high side of things to me.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2017
    $200 is over priced even if in pristine condition. But ultimately it's up to you (the buyer) to determine what they are worth to you.

I sold my pristine pair 10 years ago to a forum member for $225.
  • Yeah, I told the dude I'd give him around a hundred, if he didn't want to take it that's fine. But if he decides he will to let me know!
  • FestYboy
    Where abouts is this/you @jimmylee123 ?
  • jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    edited August 2017
    NE Indiana 3hr from Chicago. Why, you the one selling them?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Depends on your area. $150 to $200 is norm around here for these (SE VA).
    If you offer him $100 - half his asking price - you're low balling him. I'd tell you to take a hike.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Guess you've never negotiated before and that's fine.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    No he wants to buy them if you pass... >:)
  • FestYboy
    NE Indiana 3hr from Chicago. Why, you the one selling them?

No, I'm here in South Central PA, but I've been watching 2 pair of 11s in my area. 300 and 375 respectively. Way too much...
  • FestYboy
    DaveHo wrote: »
    No he wants to buy them if you pass... >:)

That's right!!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    Offering 50% less than the asking price is not a negotiation, it's an insult. Besides that, $200.00 is a fair price, maybe even low given their appearance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    F1nut wrote: »
    Offering 50% less than the asking price is not a negotiation, it's an insult. Besides that, $200.00 is a fair price, maybe even low given their appearance.

I agree wholeheartedly. What were they $700 -$800 a pair new? I would pay $200 for a minty pair.
  • deronb1
    Just Googled it. $950.00 pr in 1990.
  • deronb1
    Thats a great deal. Some folks dont know what they have.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

I also agree. I answered a CL ad for some the guy wanted 450.00. I told him the best i could do was 200.00. I asked him to come to polk site and read about magnet shift problems and xo work just so he would know i wasn't BS'ing him. He got back to me and said the price is still 450.00 firm. I hung up the phone. Some folks think because we work on them and care about them they are worth their weight in gold.

He still has them still trying to sell every once in a while for 550.00 firm.
  • deronb1
    la2vegas wrote: »
    deronb1 wrote: »

If the seller mentioned that the speakers have upgraded tweets, I'm pretty sure that he knows what he has. 100 bucks is fair.

How is it fair? You could part it out for $200.00.
  • deronb1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I also agree. I answered a CL ad for some the guy wanted 450.00. I told him the best i could do was 200.00. I asked him to come to polk site and read about magnet shift problems and xo work just so he would know i wasn't BS'ing him. He got back to me and said the price is still 450.00 firm. I hung up the phone. Some folks think because we work on them and care about them they are worth their weight in gold.

11Ts for $550.00?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

11Ts for $550.00?

Yep
    They didn't sell and won't at that price.
  • pitdogg2

If the seller mentioned that the speakers have upgraded tweets, I'm pretty sure that he knows what he has. 100 bucks is fair.

When the seller lowers his asking price without me proding him, and I agree to pay it, then it's fair.

The market will dictate, nobody else is knocking down his door to buy these.

Yep thats true.
  • deronb1

When the seller lowers his asking price without me proding him, and I agree to pay it, then it's fair.

The market will dictate, nobody else is knocking down his door to buy these.

Im not saying you did anything wrong and you got a great price. He obviously doesnt know what the drivers are worth or just doesnt want to hassle with it. Congrats!
  • FestYboy
    All the good deals in the West coast...
  • deronb1
    FestYboy wrote: »
    All the good deals in the West coast...

Aint dat da troof.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    These are offered locally for $120, the guy says he'll let me have them for a hundred. He says they have upgraded tweets.

A hundred bucks is realistic, 200 bucks and they'd better be mint. I guess it all depends what you have locally.da4dahkmkpde.jpg

Those are the wrong tweeters for that model. You'll have to spend $48.00 each to get the right ones.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    These are offered locally for $120, the guy says he'll let me have them for a hundred. He says they have upgraded tweets.

A hundred bucks is realistic, 200 bucks and they'd better be mint. I guess it all depends what you have locally.da4dahkmkpde.jpg

Those are the wrong tweeters for that model. You'll have to spend $48.00 each to get the right ones.

Are those 198s?