Where can you buy whitewall tires?

Options
Picked up a former show winning 1975 Buick Riviera today. The car includes the famous Buick "rally" style road wheels, but I will be dammed if I can locate brand new 235-70-15 whitewall tires to put on them. Seems BFG Meeks raised white letter in that size, but they would not be appropriate on a car big enough to double as a flagship for Chester Nimitz.

I think these might be in the same isle as black paint. Any he would be awesome.

py5p9gqag2fv.jpg
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Coker tire.

Must be the tire size that may be hanging you up John. I just seen a old pimp mobile going down the road the other day and commented to my son about the wide white wall tires.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited August 2017
    Options
    WHAT A RIDE! Nice. Real nice. So it was stored in someone's horse barn or is that just a prop for the pic?
    Google brought me
    https://www.dbtires.com/why_choose.html
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Just not a shop stocked with black paint
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Neat-o.
    (FWIW) I like all the Rivieras -- but I think I like the original design and the behemoth boat-tailed models best of all (no offense!). :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    I prefer the original too. This one is pretty rare though as it has buckets and floor mounted shifter. I believe only 1200 cars got that option.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Luigi's Casa Della Tires... I believe he's still in Radiator Springs. ;)

vsj56wkgrcjp.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I prefer the original too. This one is pretty rare though as it has buckets and floor mounted shifter. I believe only 1200 cars got that option.

That is cool!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Those rally wheels on the old Buicks were some of the best looking wheels ever made imho. I prefer the 60's body styling though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    That car needs hydraulics so it can bounce up and down while cruising the boulevard. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    5000 pounds doesn't bounce. It crushes anything stupid enough to get in the way.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Cool car. Have any of the previous owners done engine work? Those mid-70's cars are pretty crippled by the emissions control attempts from the factory. My dad has a 76 Olds Gutless that couldn't get out of it's own way.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Once the car gets home, I will be going over it thoroughly. 1975 is the cutoff year in CA for smog inspections, so I will be deciding on whether or not to keep it 100% stock or do some mods. If I mod it the first thing that will go is all the smog crap that chokes things up. 455 cubic inches of big-block power should be able to do better than 205 horses.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You won't get much more from it. The engine is designed low compression to begin with.

Btw nice car, I have a real affection for these 2 door land yachts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You won't get much more from it. The engine is designed low compression to begin with.

Btw nice car, I have a real affection for these 2 door land yachts.

I think it is possible to coax out 350hp from it... not as much as it should have, but better than it already has.

• tonyb
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I hate mid 70's up, all the emissions crap, lower horsepower. A 455 from earlier years, combined with those turbo 400 tranny's were screamers. The Olds 425's could lay rubber for a block. Sleepers....that put some stock Camaro's to shame.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    If you're pulling the block for any reason, yank the pistons, and swap out the heads for factory appearance irons. Thats the only way you'll see the 350hp mark. Factory heads won't flow unless you port the carp out of them. The carb and intake will do the job for that power level.

I'm a fan of factory appearance... That way you can still show it as it was intended, and also have the power it deserves (have cake, will eat).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    My dad told me he used to paint his tires so...
    "I think these might be in the same isle as black paint. "
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Built like a body by Fisher!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    aww, c'mon -- that lead sled is wicked cool.
    It probably wouldn't fit in my garage, though...

:/
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    That's one of the reasons I hate mid 70's up, all the emissions crap, lower horsepower. A 455 from earlier years, combined with those turbo 400 tranny's were screamers. The Olds 425's could lay rubber for a block. Sleepers....that put some stock Camaro's to shame.

And those 400 tranny's were bulletproof! It's amazing how far trans. technology has come. Riding in my friends Hellcat last night I was blown away at how fast it shifted. I don't know if it's humanly possible to manually shift as fast as that car did last night.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Wait?! "Trannys"?! "Drag racing"!? -- what kind of forum is this, anyway?

(ahem)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Wait?! "Trannys"?! "Drag racing"!? -- what kind of forum is this, anyway?

(ahem)

The good kind daddio. Put your keys in the bowl.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I dunno guys, John's around L.A., where do all the Hispanics get theirs ? Miami corner the market or what ? :) Hard to believe in Cali, classic car heaven, you can't find whitewalls.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I don't know if it's humanly possible to manually shift as fast as that car did last night.

It's not. That's why in most cases manu-matic tranny's are quicker than standard tranny's.

Dual clutch auto-manuals are very cool. Always was a stick guy, until my last 2 cars with dual clutch auto-manuals w/paddle shifters. Best of both world's (in the real world) and I don't really miss the 3rd pedal at all because the dual clutch auto (in this case DSG) is lightening fast when shifting, especially to pull off a fast pass. I can change gear faster than it takes to push in a clutch. Basically snap of the finger.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Loaded up and ready to come home...

rafl7vh1uj9b.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    speaking of NDSWRK -- check out this guy's tale of woe with a "pre-owned" 2002 Dodge. :*

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-lemon.783769