Is it possible ?

Options
Is it at all possible that a the set of Monitor 7c's I just picked up and put two RDO-194's in (without any other changes) could somehow sound better than my SDA-SRS 2's ? They do and that is what is what has me asking...They are in a very very small room 8 X 15. am I going crazy or could the Monitor 7's just fit the room size that much better ?

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Not sure, but i think the room size has a lot to do with it. How are the 2's set up?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Yes, the big speakers are too big for the room to sound their best. If they were both in a larger room the results would likely be different. The Monitor 7s are great all around speakers. Could add a subwoofer for more bass, but probably not needed.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,552
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have the same issue. In the same small room i have srs 2 and rta12b. The rta just sounds better. At least i think its the room.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Not sure, but i think the room size has a lot to do with it. How are the 2's set up?

The seated listening position is about 7 '9" from the 7's and about 5' 5" away from the 2's. That is using the corner of the speaker closest to the LP to measure from. The 7's are tilted in towards the LP at about 45 deg. The 2's are not tilted whatsoever, they are aligned directly with the wall 2" off the back wall 5' 10" apart. The right 2 is 3' 4" from the wall the Left 2 is 2' 8" from the wall. All of the measurements for the 2's are from the sides of the speakers not to the center. Yes, I know I should have 3' from the Left 2' to the wall however a huge plumbing pipe prevents that. The 2's have had a crossover rebuild, hurricane nuts installed, drivers dampened and all new RDO-194 tweeters installed as well as Neutrik Speakon connectors installed on the cups with a cable the same as my speaker wire for an interconnect ( VTG audio 14 G commercial series made in USA). I use two sets of this speaker wire 25' length one to the top tweeter binding post one to the bottom mid woofer binding post. I am using a EX-442 B&K amp and a Kenwood C2 that I totally recapped with new Op amps and diodes for a pre. The highs on the 7's are as good if not a bit better than the 2's, the midrange sounds better hands down. The bass with the 7's punches way harder and even seems to go almost as low as the 2's. As Spock would say..Fascinating..
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    The SDAs need room to do their magic. My 2Bs at my old house were 9 ft apart with ample room on each side and I sat back about 12 ft. Allowed for the crosstalk cancel and reflections to do their jiob.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Yeah, I know those 2's are too big for this little room I just couldn't believe how much better the 7's sound. I think this is a case for a set of SDA CRS speakers...
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know those 2's are too big for this little room I just couldn't believe how much better the 7's sound. I think this is a case for a set of SDA CRS speakers...

Same principal. Same driver compliment in a different configuration. Might work a tad better, but you really need some space between you and the speakers for max effect.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    You know that is true. Fact is as much as I love the SDA speakers I may not be able to use them in this space.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,552
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    You know that is true. Fact is as much as I love the SDA speakers I may not be able to use them in this space.

I feel your pain. I gave up on my srs 2 in this room. They are still hooked up to the "B" side of the amp. I play them every so often.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I also had both. Original M7s w/ the Peerless tweeters and exposed fuse and still have the SDA 2Bs.The 7s were placed on the sides w/ stands built for me by Pumpkinman and sounded great and did my living room justice. No sub needed. With saying all that I still think the 2Bs who do rule the roost have just enough space to do their thing. The M7s were listed on C/L for a hundy and I told the guy I wasn't coming near that price and went quickly down to $60 and when I got there they looked nothing like the pictures and it was like a bait and switch and offered $20 because all the corners looked like his dog chewed on them and after pulling a driver it was clear that there was magnet shift because the polyfill was glue stuck to the driver. After all that I did take them for $20 bought a driver from Polk put some decorative corners on them from Home Depot for $4 a set and eventually sold them for $160. My living room 18'x15' and my seating is 9' away from center w/ the 2Bs span of 7' to the outer sides.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Definitely the room, as I've compared Monitor 7Bs with the Peerless tweeter to bone stock original SRS 2 and the SRS 2 were WAY better at everything. The M7 is a decent speaker, but in the right room, the SRS 2 is spooky good. I sat 9' from my SRS 2, and felt I could be a few feet further back optimally.

You really have to match speakers to the room. I originally had the big SRS in my room and they sounded good but not great. I replaced them with the SRS 2 and the sound improved dramatically. I also have a pair of Ohm Fs that are amazing (better than the SRS 2) in a medium to large room. I tried them in a 9x12 room and they were pretty bad.