Magnifi Mini - without SUB ...?

Possibly a unique question ... what is the sound quality WITHOUT the sub?

I have limited space both room and shelves. Use mainly voice/dialog/drama - music,not so much .

So, feedback welcome ....

Comments

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,456
    Better than the typical TV speakers for sure. Unless you have a TV that has excellent speakers.

It's better with the sub obviously, so if you can find anywhere to place the sub that would be the best scenario.

But I would use just the sound bar without the sub if I had to. I'd keep the sub just in case your situation changes so you have it for the future.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • castallacastalla Posts: 5
    Thanks for that useful info !
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,602
    there are lots of soundbars with no sub, those might be better options. I would also suggest these if you can fit them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Incline-Bipolar-Desktop-Speaker-System/222601946329?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160908110712&meid=0dd2c2aaa856463fb936af63a6e5b6a7&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=16&sd=272528655250&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

They are awesome and with the DSP inside really give response into the 40s hz range. And you get true stereo reproduction, and a subwoofer output for future upgrading.
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    Nice BUT I need something compact - hence the appeal of the mini. Bass only needs to be adequate, not thumping deep!
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,422
    You'll want the sub. It's wireless and not that large. I'm sure you can find somewhere for it.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,456
    castalla wrote: »
    Nice BUT I need something compact - hence the appeal of the mini. Bass only needs to be adequate, not thumping deep!

You will not get any bass from the center unit. The bass (all the bass) comes from the sub. You will get better volume and increased clarity as well as some SDA properties (only if you have a multi-channel signal) through the center speaker vs. most TV's, by a lot. The speakers are far too small and the enclosure is far too small for any kind of bass response. It won't sound like a tin can, but no bass to speak of. Think small boom box type of presentation.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    Thanks for all the advice