MM691 Speaker failure

Options
Hi
I have tried all avenues to get Polk Audio / Sound United to help me with this....al to no avail.
This was messaged to me by Polk Audio last week.

"We're happy to send you the email of our direct contact. Please email Michael directly at michael.masucci@soundunited.com"

I have sent several emails that have all been ignored.

I will start fresh......this is what I sent them:

"Last year in May I bought 2 pairs of Polk Audio MM691 6”x9” speakers on Ebay. I had them fitted into my Caribbean 45 boat in July last year and was so impressed with the quality and depth of sound they produced that I recently bought a pair of MM651’s to go in the fly bridge.

About two months ago, 2 of the 4 MM691’s stopped working, I thought there was probably a short somewhere. The Tech that fitted the speakers came and removed the 2 not working to discover that the wires in the speakers had corroded off. We pulled out the 2 speakers that were still working and the wires were still fine. What we noticed was, the 2 speakers that failed had bare copper wires. The 2 that were still ok appear to have tinned copper wires that don’t corrode. I inspected the 2 new MM651’s and they appear to have tinned copper wires.

Why are some of your speakers fitted with bare copper wiring?? It is never going to last in a marine environment and is why ALL GOOD boat wiring is tinned.

I would like you to please replace the failed speakers with new ones (tinned). If you can’t get the identical speaker, then you will need to send 4 new speakers, as I don’t want non matching pairs."

I shouldnt have to go to this extreme, just to receive some customer service from you guys......pretty poor show.
Mick

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Someone will spot this in the morning at Polk and get the ball rolling for you. No worries.

Welcome to the club. Hang out a bit and chime in from time to time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mickbon
    Mickbon Posts: 3
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello Mick,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, sorry there's a problem. I've forwarded your email address and this thread to Kim Jasper, head of CS, and to Ken C. in CS. I'm sure your problem will be addressed as quickly as possible.
    Best regards, Ken
  • Mickbon
    Mickbon Posts: 3
    Options
    The good news is that Polk have been in touch with me and are replacing the 2 shot speakers.