Rush 2112 40th anniversary CD/DVD

pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
edited August 2017 in The Clubhouse
Anybody picked this up yet? Seen it today too pricey for me to buy at bestbuy. They wanted 38$ for the set.
I'd like to hear your opinions on it
Thanks

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2017
    I have the Rush 2112 CD+Bluray
    which has DTS-HD 5.1 surround sound in 96/24 bit
    the bluray version didnt seem like anything special.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited August 2017
    As soon as I saw DVD-A I knew Steven Wilson was in on it. I wonder why he uses that format?

Oh it's DVD+Audio, anyway I still wonder why he uses it.
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2017
    Yea i wished it was SACD i mean come on now. Rush should to a format. They have been all over the place. DVD-A, SACD, BLU RAY and another one for snakes and arrows

Dang those prices are crazy cheap. I have it DVD-audio and MFSL Gold CD. I wanted to see the concert footage from back in the day on disc 3
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Has anyone to date heard a Rush album on any format that's worthy of "audiophilia"?

...or at least something above that of an Adele album? Do tell...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Has anyone to date heard a Rush album on any format that's worthy of "audiophilia"?

...or at least something above that of an Adele album? Do tell...

Tom

Sorry Tom but I'd rather stick an ice pick in my ears than listen to Adele.

The Rush Hemispheres SACD was pretty good, audiophile probably not. I'm a Rush guy love 90% of them some of the last not so much. Seen them multiple times it just never gets old. I wish i could of seen the all the worlds a stage tour, or the 2112 tour.
    For me just sitting back and listening to Neil play is where its at. Dude just makes it look so easy.
  • treitz3
    ....Quality...sound wise....

I love Rush but (call me one of "those guys") it all sounds like a speaker emanating from Lightman's posterior when I listen to any album from them.

I'd actually like to listen to them as I do other bands and artists I listen too. IE., above below par to decent sound. Preferably more towards audiophilia sound.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Thanks for the Ebay links, picked one up. Audiophile grade or not, I'm a sucker for Rush.
  • I have the MFSL gold CD and the latest "audiophile" albums for 2112 and Moving Pictures. I like the vinyl better. The CD's stay in my car.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Presto on SACD is a worthy purchase, although Rush is more rocking out than audiophile listening.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • treitz3
    Well, I can dig Rush.....always have but as time marches on and my rig got more revealing? Eh, didn't really enjoy it as much. Now if we are talking Rush with sound like that of Donald Fagan's "Morph the Cat"?

Oh dang son.

I'm totally game and will purchase yesterday. Until then? Rush is delegated to the truck with the windows down at 75mph next to a 16 wheeler.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Slapaho wrote: »
    I have the MFSL gold CD and the latest "audiophile" albums for 2112

I also have the same CD. There is some early concert footage on the 40th i wanted to see. It may be something i have already seen or could be very grainy.
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Presto on SACD is a worthy purchase, although Rush is more rocking out than audiophile listening.

Well sometimes it is all about rockin, know what i mean man :p

I also have DVD-A version. I also have the Snakes an Arrows which is a whole different surround sound. Just wish they would bring more of the older albums on SACD like they did for Hemispheres.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    I always thought the Moving Pictures LP sounded very Good..Quality and Sound wise.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Audiophile quality? Not really. It all sounds good to me.

I have the pure audio blu-ray discs of FBN and Signals. They gave it a bit of a bump.
    I'd by these again.

The Audio Fidelity versions of Counterparts and Presto and they are just o.k.
    No need to repurchase anything from this era on IMHO.

When I listen to Caress of Steel on plan old CD is sounds good to me. Almost perfect.

I have most of Rush on original vinyl sans CoS and like it just fine.

I also have DVD-As of 2112 and Moving Pictures. The latter is better. I bought these
    to try to justify having so many speakers in studio one.

Here is a old redacted list of the SH forum opinions of the digital media I started:

Rush best versions

WG = West German

Rush - HD tracks then the original WG "Atomic" Mercury 

Caress Of Steel - HD tracks then the original WG "Atomic" Mercury 

All The World's A Stage - original WG "Atomic" Mercury

2112 - Original Canadian Anthem CD 

A Farewell To Kings - Original Canadian Anthem CD

Hemispheres - Japanese 25 8P followed by the Audio Fidelity or original West German Atomic

Permanent Waves - original WG "Atomic" Mercury 
Moving Pictures - WG "Atomic" Mercury with "03" matrix or MFSL (Mercury with 03 matrix is better than the MFSL). Make sure you get a 03 matrix as the 02 doesn't sound as good.

Exit Stage Left - Japanese 25 8P

Signals - Japanese 25 8P followed by the MFSL (despite the "alternate" version of The Weapon)

Grace Under Pressure - Canadian Anthem

Power Windows - original WG "Atomic" Mercury

Again, save your money starting with Hold Your Fire IMHO.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    I have my vinyl release when that one first hit the airwaves...I'll stick with it..still sounds great after all these years too...The band in itself does well with the arrangements over all..but sometimes Geddy's voice gets to me like fingernails on a chalkboard...Just me,I guess....
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2017
    Jhayman wrote: »
    I always thought the Moving Pictures LP sounded very Good..Quality and Sound wise.

I completely agree^^^ though i no longer have the LP the first gen CD is very good imo.
    Audiophile quality? Not really. It all sounds good to me.

I have the pure audio blu-ray discs of FBN and Signals. They gave it a bit of a bump.
    I'd by these again.

The Audio Fidelity versions of Counterparts and Presto and they are just o.k.
    No need to repurchase anything from this era on IMHO.

When I listen to Caress of Steel on plan old CD is sounds good to me. Almost perfect.

I have most of Rush on original vinyl sans CoS and like it just fine.

I also have DVD-As of 2112 and Moving Pictures. The latter is better. I bought these
    to try to justify having so many speakers in studio one.

Can't argue here. I love the Caress of Steel album it is one of my favorites. I wish it was in SACD format. In my perfect all of them up to Exit Stage Left would be in SACD.

Again, save your money starting with Hold Your Fire IMHO.
    Yes for me this although good music I'm not running out to spend good money on any of them. I like Power Windows and a few more after that have great gems on the albums they're just not the complete caliber that the earlier stuff was.
    I have yet to buy any BR stuff. I just do not want a BR player in my two channel system. At one time i had universal player in my HT set up but the amount of time i was able to set and listen to it was less and less. Someone was always wanting to watch TV.
    As i said before Rush has used about every format known to god, its just all over the place. I know the Hemispheres SACD did very well so COME ON ALEX lets do the great stuff in SACD it WILL SELL...
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    edited September 2017
    Slapaho wrote: »
    I have the MFSL gold CD and the latest "audiophile" albums for 2112 and Moving Pictures. I like the vinyl better. The CD's stay in my car.

Yup! Those 200g remasters are excellent. I bought the entire catalog with the exception of Snakes and Arrows. The 2112 vinyl has the hologram thingy which is kinda cool. The blu-ray disc is decent also, but I prefer the vinyl as well. The zon has this for 24.00, pittdog.

https://www.amazon.com/2112-CD-DVD-40th-Anniversary/dp/B01MCZQI6Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1504646766&sr=1-1&keywords=2112+40th+anniversary
  • pitdogg2
    Thanks Marfly. It is sold all day on the bay for 10.00 brand new. I'm just too cheap to buy as i would only be buying for the early videos on one disc. TBH it may be the same video on other stuff i have. So that is why I'm hesitant.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Thanks Marfly. It is sold all day on the bay for 10.00 brand new. I'm just too cheap to buy as i would only be buying for the early videos on one disc. TBH it may be the same video on other stuff i have. So that is why I'm hesitant.

I have the R30 and Replay X3 DVDs. Those have a lot of their earlier stuff. This set appears to offer some covers which I wouldn't be interested in.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I'm not a huge Rush fan but 2112 and Moving Pictures are two of my favorite CD's. I did get the 2112 from Best Buy (yeah call me a sucker) and it's good. don't think it was worth the $38. I had a gift card so I used it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music