All in now

Options
I finally decided to jump all in with the purchase of a pair of 1c's. I picked them up from an original owner about 3-4 weeks ago who just did not have the room for these to breath.

He did have the original interconnect cable but, no paperwork, manual or boxes.

Also he had a recently checked out ok w/paperwork adcom gfa 555. I paid $700 for the threesome. Fair price I feel.

l6dky0wst2mn.jpg

These are hooked up with a pair of Mit cables to the 1500A amp. I liked the way the 1500 sounded more so than the 555. The 555 seemed a little more bright to me. So the 555 is being used for the A7's in HT duty. I am using the 1c's for just 2 channel listening. I started listening to various music from the ever expanding SDA playlist and in most cases was ever so pleasantly pleased.

The first two days I was getting up to make sure the center and surround speakers were off even though the front panel on the AVR said they were. Like a kid at Christmas is an understatement! As stated in another post "learning how to listen to SDA's". Sitting in the room with eyes closed and just sucking in the sound. These are not end game speakers for me but, a really nice edition to the long road of music listening.

When I can save a few beans I want to start the upgrade process. It really sucks that PB is holding folks for ransom. Now folks who would benefit from some well taken upgrade photos can't. I have seen some really good upgrade photos on this site before...now most are gone.

I think the hardest part of the upgrade process for me will be the soldering onto the new boards. Oh yes I can solder 2 wires together but, never had the need to solder to new 100 + dollar boards before. We will see as this is further down the road and further down the rabbit hole.

Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow, they look great. The whole set up does.

If i were you i would find an old cicuit board to practice on. I did a number on a JBL L80T crossover i upgraded. Ended up having to add a lot of solder to fill a hole i burned into it.

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Nice acquisition, and you won't be disappointed -- especially with the full range of modifications you can apply to the 1Cs.

After completing just about every mod imaginable on mine, I think these vintage Polks hold their own with a lot of very pricey speakers made today.

And, they have the SDA effect, which noe of the contemporary has.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Welcome to the SDA club. I'm glad your enjoying them. The right speaker may be a little close to the hard wall. You may try putting a blanket(s) over stuff along that wall and see if it helps the sound. Another option is to move the 1C's in, and the A7's to the outside of them, provided it all fits within the SDA recommendations and your room and seating position.

I have about 6 feet between my 1C's, and my alternate speakers outside of them, toed in. With your eyes open you think sound is coming from the outside speakers. It's real fun when I have my M5's on the outside. People wonder how such a little speaker puts out that much bass.

How would you compare the A7's to the 1C's for overall full range sound and bass, excluding the SDA effect.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Wow, they look great. The whole set up does.

If i were you i would find an old cicuit board to practice on.

Thanks, I am trying (listening to those more educated with HiFi). I guess I could dig up an old board to see just how bad I mess it up! Good advice.
    Nice acquisition, and you won't be disappointed -- especially with the full range of modifications you can apply to the 1Cs.

After reading many posts on others acquisitions of Polk & other equipment, & after seeing these in person I did feel comfortable laying down the cash for this.

I am already not disappointed in any way, shape or form. Its going to be cool to see how the sound transforms with the speaker upgrades as I progress. Not sure if I am going the full monte or slightly less.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    they deserve good caps
  • Manticore
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    Welcome to the SDA club. I'm glad your enjoying them. The right speaker may be a little close to the hard wall. You may try putting a blanket(s) over stuff along that wall and see if it helps the sound. Another option is to move the 1C's in, and the A7's to the outside of them, provided it all fits within the SDA recommendations and your room and seating position.

I have about 6 feet between my 1C's, and my alternate speakers outside of them, toed in. With your eyes open you think sound is coming from the outside speakers.

The SDA's are certainly unique sounding. Very enjoyable experience for my wife & I.
    There is 3' to that hard wall but, it opens up another foot or two just in front of the front firing drivers. The SDA's are 8 feet from the centers of each PR.

Because I am using the SDA's basically in 2 ch mode I wouldn't want the speaker that close to the TT. Where they are now I get zero howl, feedback when using the TT.

But, I am going to try what you said and swap the positions of the SDA's & A7's. I do believe you are correct. I also feel the SDA effect will be that much more pronounced.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    they deserve good caps

Please give me some time...there are only so many visits to the blood bank they will allow. ;)

I need to save a few beans. Again great advice!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    completely understand. I waited until Sonic Craft had their sale before I bought all mine. YEA it was a CHUNK of change
  • Manticore
    Options
    Does Sonic Craft have a yearly blowout or something like that or just keep looking at their web site and wait?
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Couple of times a year 20% off i think
  • Manticore
    Options
    I will have to regularly check the site. Thanks.
    Oh and make a list.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Nice combination setup you've pulled together there. You gotta be loving the SDAs so much better for music than the RTiA's?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Manticore wrote: »
    I will have to regularly check the site. Thanks.
    Oh and make a list.

Just wait it out, reward will be paid in spades

Pick up what ya' can and can afford, it's not a race.

I've spent a year gathering gear, refusing to play any of it until the entire system was complete
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    Options
    I am actually enjoying music with the SDA's. I think the SDA's are also bright but, not like the 7's. Some music is just exceptional sounding on the SDA's & some not so much. Probably not a deficiency with the speaker...but the media being played.

/\/\/\ @txcoastal1 I've spent a year gathering gear, refusing to play any of it until the entire system was complete

That is awesome to be able to do that. Ive been told that I have the patience of Job (public service) but, I couldn't wait a whole year myself.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    You have the speakers, they sound good, you gather the parts (how ever long it takes)

Then they sound great...not like you're without :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Manticore
    Options
    This is true. After reading some other posts I hope I can get this done before its all over...and you guys are gone :'(:'(:'(
    Already lost probably more than half of other peoples upgrade photos.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pkquat
    Options
    The SDA's are certainly unique sounding. Very enjoyable experience for my wife & I.
    There is 3' to that hard wall but, it opens up another foot or two just in front of the front firing drivers. The SDA's are 8 feet from the centers of each PR.

Because I am using the SDA's basically in 2 ch mode I wouldn't want the speaker that close to the TT. Where they are now I get zero howl, feedback when using the TT.

But, I am going to try what you said and swap the positions of the SDA's & A7's. I do believe you are correct. I also feel the SDA effect will be that much more pronounced.

I would also try a blanket, rug, or something over the hard wall too. With SDA's about 3' from a window, there is a difference if the curtain is open or closed. They are better when the curtain is closed.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options

I would also try a blanket, rug, or something over the hard wall too. With SDA's about 3' from a window, there is a difference if the curtain is open or closed. They are better when the curtain is closed.

Or add acoustic panels.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Manticore
    Options

I have about 6 feet between my 1C's, and my alternate speakers outside of them, toed in. With your eyes open you think sound is coming from the outside speakers. It's real fun when I have my M5's on the outside. People wonder how such a little speaker puts out that much bass.

Ok i have switched the 1c's & A7's positions. The sound stage has dramatically improved. It is so noticeably better.

Good call on that one!

I am going to try spinning a record. Hopefully there wont be any/too much feed back from the close proximity of the speaker to tt. I might have to swap a few things around.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • pkquat
    Options
    I'd still try a blanket, curtain, or something along the wall as a temporary test too.

I don't think you mentioned where your seating position is. I assume you have followed the guide on speaker and listening position distances.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    First order of upgrade business would be to swap out the tweeters for the RDO-194's
    When ordering tell them you're a club polk member.